57ft NB Dutch Barge

Silent Flight

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Oh no, internet on boats is ESSENTIAL. 

How would we all know what to think, otherwise?

Some people don't, with or without internet access -- but with it they can regurgitate biased "alternative facts" which agree with their point of view, but don't stand up to scrutiny. Or are just plain flat-out wrong... 😉

-- the old saw about lies being able to travel round the world before the truth has got its boots on was never truer... 😞

• 4 weeks later...

In the process of making some roof boxes, the previous owners didn’t include the one on it in the sale. They made it couple years ago so fair enough, but I got some pics of it. 

Just wondering if there is a max height of the ideal Roofbox?

Obviously it depends on the air draught of the boat. 

Mine is …. Will fill in soon when find the paperwork 😅

There is a gnome on a post to help mark the bow when manoeuvring and that is about 45 cm above roof height.

Would 40cm with a 15cm collapsible peak be a reasonable height?

Making a digital design to work from I can post when it’s finished.

Thanks in advance 🙏

3CF7DAEC-66D0-4893-AD73-CAC2EFA5A199.jpeg

432D7513-0AFB-47D1-9ABC-5CF8598F9439.jpeg

On 24/02/2023 at 12:00, Stilllearning said:

Our one before last boat had about 1000 litre water tank, and we were always glad it was there. An extra tonne of ballast, and autonomy for at least a month. We never bothered with filters or bleach though.

I will add to this comment about filters by saying that, having forgotten this winter to drain the drinking water system on our motorhome, we have discovered that there was a filter in the pipework...

There is now a piece of pipework in place of the filter. As we had no idea there was a filter anywhere, we took it to our local motorhome man to find the leak, and with much trepidation asked him the cost, once he had fixed it. 

€45!

3 hours ago, Owls Den said:

Just wondering if there is a max height of the ideal Roofbox?

1.95metres (6'4") from the waterline to the top of the box will get you everywhere. If you want to stick to canals and ignore the Anglian rivers and the River Wey above Guildford then you can go higher

There are other low points on the system (River Stort) it's all down to where you want to cruise.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Loddon said:

1.95metres (6'4") from the waterline to the top of the box will get you everywhere. If you want to stick to canals and ignore the Anglian rivers and the River Wey above Guildford then you can go higher

There are other low points on the system (River Stort) it's all down to where you want to cruise.

Thankyou that’s good to know.

I do have a loose plan that eventually involves rivers around east anglia so hoping I get it right first go, don’t want to be pulling a saw out by one of these low points one day really!

I'm not sure what stuff has to live in a roof box that can't live inside in the warm and dry.

I've seen some made out of decking with a solar panel on top, practical but not aesthetically pleasing, and they must restrict your view if you are not approximately six foot six inches tall.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Owls Den said:

Can’t see a figure for air draught but have found these.

Unlikely but is there anyway or can anyone figure it out from these dims?

02AFB3DD-C9BC-46EF-9FE2-618123162AFD.jpeg

95F7CBFB-3749-4814-A5FC-62D10C27B9AE.jpeg

Go out with a tape measure and measure it. You can't work it out from the info provided, and anyway the actual water draft and air draft will depend on how much the boat is loaded (ballast, fitout, tank contents, people, 'stuff' etc.)

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm not sure what stuff has to live in a roof box that can't live inside in the warm and dry.

I've seen some made out of decking with a solar panel on top, practical but not aesthetically pleasing, and they must restrict your view if you are not approximately six foot six inches tall.

^^^ This ^^^

Roof boxes are for boats that never go anywhere as the steerer can't see over them.

Problem solved!

Don't know how I missed this topic when it first came around, but I've looked round your boat before, shortly before the previous owners purchased it (and before they'd fixed the wheelhouse/greenhouse contraption on the top. In fact, your boat tried to steal my phone!

(as it was at Braunston with no mobile reception, it took a lot of looking before I found where I'd dropped it on the bed)

Judging by your pics it looks like it needs even more redecorating than I thought, but IIRC your lounge felt nice and surprisingly spacious, and you've got one of the more convincing looking fake Dutch barges around with those massive gunwhales to walk around.

As far as roof boxes go, if you make them as demountable as the wheelhouse there's really only a couple of places on Anglian waterways you need to worry about (Oundle Bridge and Outwell/Upwell bridges). But the easiest way to figure out height above water is with a tape measure. I imagine like most boats the roof will be slightly lower towards the middle and stern than the bow, so your clearance will also depend on exactly where the box ends up being positioned.

On 23/03/2023 at 16:33, Owls Den said:

Thankyou that’s good to know.

I do have a loose plan that eventually involves rivers around east anglia so hoping I get it right first go, don’t want to be pulling a saw out by one of these low points one day really!

Make the roof out of marine ply and you can tow it behind, problem sorted. Needs to be less than ten foot as a tender I think 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It helps if you can see to steer as well 

To be fair this is some sort of non-standard NB being a 'NB Dutch Barge' apparently, so will presumably have a raised wheelhouse which may well allow the steerer to see over the top of some even quite-tall roof boxes.

On 25/03/2023 at 20:06, enigmatic said:

Don't know how I missed this topic when it first came around, but I've looked round your boat before, shortly before the previous owners purchased it (and before they'd fixed the wheelhouse/greenhouse contraption on the top. In fact, your boat tried to steal my phone!

(as it was at Braunston with no mobile reception, it took a lot of looking before I found where I'd dropped it on the bed)

Judging by your pics it looks like it needs even more redecorating than I thought, but IIRC your lounge felt nice and surprisingly spacious, and you've got one of the more convincing looking fake Dutch barges around with those massive gunwhales to walk around.

As far as roof boxes go, if you make them as demountable as the wheelhouse there's really only a couple of places on Anglian waterways you need to worry about (Oundle Bridge and Outwell/Upwell bridges). But the easiest way to figure out height above water is with a tape measure. I imagine like most boats the roof will be slightly lower towards the middle and stern than the bow, so your clearance will also depend on exactly where the box ends up being positioned.

Thanks for joining the fun 😅Found a picture of the boat lying at Braunston, likely when you viewed her. First thing I noticed was the difference where the skylight/ Houdini hatches are. Not sure what those peaked skylights are called?

Had a few comment on the wheelhouse being a greenhouse and I’m not denying that. Tbh it’s not my favourite part of my boat and will replace it at some point and take out the back cupboard to replace with a bench. 

Braunston did fix the wheelhouse apparently through insurance, and didn’t prime anything and only did one coat of paint. Rust is bubbling up on the metal and paint flaking off the wood. So another solid reason to replace. Oh and it leaks in the rain from several spots. It does work holding the heat in, but that’s the only positive I’ve found with it. 

Yes it does need fair amount of renovating, maybe more than realised in the cabin but wanted a bit of a project and there’s loads I love about her. I’m not a canal purist so not bothered about it being ‘fake’ dutch although good to hear you think it’s one of the more convincing examples. And yeah the saloon is a pretty good space, or will be better when sorted. 

Appreciate the info on the Anglian waterways! Air draught is pretty low in this boat after running a tape about. Starting the boxes today.

FFE87687-3E81-45A8-A43B-9899475E81F5.jpeg

On 23/03/2023 at 17:47, LadyG said:

I’m 5’11. Guess I won’t go for the solar panels on top 😃

On 23/03/2023 at 20:42, David Mack said:

Go out with a tape measure and measure it. You can't work it out from the info provided, and anyway the actual water draft and air draft will depend on how much the boat is loaded (ballast, fitout, tank contents, people, 'stuff' etc.)

Thankyou I did when the weather was less wet and got some dims sorted, was just trying to avoid dangling around in the recent downpours. It’s visually lower than other traditional barges nearby.

The air draught to the top of the chimney is 6ft 3. Gunna make the roof boxes lower than that. And yes the chimney comes off but shows the boat is pretty low. And will be getting a lot more ‘stuff’ added soon should might make it lower.  

On 25/03/2023 at 23:08, LadyG said:

Make the roof out of marine ply and you can tow it behind, problem sorted. Needs to be less than ten foot as a tender I think 

Been looking at one sheet ply tenders from a thread on here as it goes!

On 26/03/2023 at 19:36, MtB said:

A Dutch bodge, more likely....

Or a ditch bodge, even!! 

Yeah they are quite a few bodges on this Dutch barge, sorry ditch barge. 

Didn’t realise you viewed her too?

My roof box design so far.

Although debating making them less high and adding legs on the base. Thoughts appreciated. 

D014193F-1E0C-4C39-AADA-8FE03FB6DBC3.jpeg

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

That's not a foot! At 23cm long it's more 9 inches!

Brilliant 😅 

Will defo add some rubber feet tho good shout.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Here ya go....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403264186103?

image.png.caafba6f08bfb5e1c212da60e802d66f.png

If I install these to the roofboxes will the boxes walk themselves onto the towpath for really low bridges?