Mauds Swing Bridge. Stainforth & Keadby Canal

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Midnight said:

"We are awaiting for contractors to assess the damage and to formulate what is required to repair the swingbridge."
would suggest they do. When swing bridges break down the waterway is always closed never the road. That road over Maudes is a very minor road and there's a few alternatives close by 

C&RT could well be awaiting contractors but that doesnt mean C&RT are paying.

Perhaps the highway gets priority because the highway authority owns the bridge. But to be fair there are a lot more people cross by road  than by boat.

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Shame that circumstances dictate that next Tuesday is impossible for us. I've asked them if there might be further bridge swings that we could manage to get to.

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

C&RT could well be awaiting contractors but that doesnt mean C&RT are paying.

Perhaps the highway gets priority because the highway authority owns the bridge. But to be fair there are a lot more people cross by road  than by boat.

CRT told me that they are trying to claim off the vehicle's insurance company. I don't know whether they suceeded.

7 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

CRT told me that they are trying to claim off the vehicle's insurance company. I don't know whether they suceeded.

Fair enough. It does seem the subject bridge belongs to C&RT 

If the bridge cannot be operated safely the bridge is safer  in its position that is closed to river traffic.

13 hours ago, Kendorr said:

and those who know Thorne will be aware of the footbridge which is often out of order, but that one is owned by Thorne Council and it is they who must be called to sort problems.

The one that never works without a lot of buggering about with the gates while the pedistrians get irritated with you? There's a technique but I've yet to perfect it. Crowbar and ear defenders advised!

Do C&RT post stoppage notices when that one doesn't work?

3 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Do C&RT post stoppage notices when that one doesn't work?

I don't think they do.

I've found the main problem is the gates don't shut properly, if you wiggle them and listen for the 'click' they are then locked. Also when trying to open the bridge, you often find that one of the gates has been left unlocked, you have to first lock it, turn off your key, then switch back on and you'll hear the mechanisms click - all good fun!!

5 hours ago, Kendorr said:

I don't think they do.

I've found the main problem is the gates don't shut properly, if you wiggle them and listen for the 'click' they are then locked. Also when trying to open the bridge, you often find that one of the gates has been left unlocked, you have to first lock it, turn off your key, then switch back on and you'll hear the mechanisms click - all good fun!!

Good game, good game I play it every time I come through Thorne. Must take notes for April.

• Greenie 1