Mauds Swing Bridge. Stainforth & Keadby Canal

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Mauds Swing Bridge on the Stainforth & Keadby Canal has been closed since a road vehicle strike on 23rd November. We want to go that way so I rang CRT this afternoon to see if there is an update on progress. They reckon it could be months rather than weeks. So we may have to go from Keadby to Goole via Trent Falls instead.

• Sad 2

"We are awaiting for contractors to assess the damage and to formulate what is required to repair the swingbridge."

If it's taken this long and they are still waiting to assess the damage there's not much hope for a fix anytime soon. C&RT really are pathetic

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Have you seen this vid from Facebook 

The group is private so the video cannot be seen without joining the page.

I copy here some info posted 3 days ago on the Trentlink page

OPENING THE STAINFORTH & KEADBY ROUTE TO/FROM THE NORTH....
At last night's meeting with CRT I was unable to secure a date when the Stainforth & Keadby will reopen, though the Regional Director for the area said he would review the "stoppages" and update the finish dates when he could.
There are 3 areas of concern Iam aware of between Thorne and Keadby :
1/ Keadby Railway Bridge - (Stoppage note on line) Currently offering "restricted passage" a couple of times a day - if not on strike, this limitation appears due to the need for some serious repair by Network Rail. I have been unable to get any information as to when /if this might happen. This suggests this restriction is likely to be long term?
2/ Mauds Bridge - (Stoppage note on line) - Currently the swing bridge is said to be "Closed to navigation" (though no visual indication of such on the bridge). The bridge suffered a traffic strike in November, which has caused some damage to the side rails, and reportedly makes the bridge hard to close - and the CRT insurance claim system (they know who did it!) has kicked in. Its reported that a contractor has been appointed, but as of yesterday, no work seems to have started on site.
This bridge forms part of the road "Diversion" from the Moors Bridge closure... See below.
There is some speculation the bridge may be operable on a "Restricted" basis - but that still to be decided and announced.
3/ Moor Road Bridge - (No "Stoppage" note in place yesterday, , but its listed under the Winter Planned Stoppages - to have been finished by November)
Contractors on site yesterday with mini diggers replacing hydraulics and electrics (and more?). The bridge is closed to road and canal traffic, though the contractors tell me they leave the bridge open to river traffic at night.... The totally untrustworthy information from the guy on the digger suggested work might go on for several weeks yet.
In conclusion - The canal is shut. It seems perhaps doubtful all three bridges will be fixed by April - but the possibility of restricted passages hopefully remains good - and (hopefully) if two or more bridges are so affected they can be coordinated to allow boats through all the obstructions in one day?
Boat Clubs and Marinas on the S Yorks canals are presumably already aware of these closures and are in discussions with CRT?
  • Greenie 1

@Kendorr Yep am on that group and saw that post. 

Have a read of the Welcome to New Members post from 2 days ago- Im not mentioning names on here but reckon as coming from someone who moves boats about  and is also there -he probably knows what he is talking about.

Heres a screenshot of the damage.

Screenshot_20230124_230845_Facebook.jpg

Edited by PaulJ
Put a better pic on

2 hours ago, Kendorr said:

In conclusion - The canal is shut. It seems perhaps doubtful all three bridges will be fixed by April - but the possibility of restricted passages hopefully remains good - and (hopefully) if two or more bridges are so affected they can be coordinated to allow boats through all the obstructions in one day?
Boat Clubs and Marinas on the S Yorks canals are presumably already aware of these closures and are in discussions with CRT?

I don’t know what discussions Boat clubs or Marina’s can have with CaRT that would have any sway with CaRT to prioritise these stoppages???

The South Yorkshire Navigation has had stoppage restrictions for the last two Summers as have been highlighted on here and Boat Clubs or Marina’s have had no influence on how quick CaRT have repaired the stoppages and re-opened the system from what I’ve seen.

5 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Have a read of the Welcome to New Members post from 2 days ago- Im not mentioning names on here but reckon as coming from someone who moves boats about  and is also there -he probably knows what he is talking about.

What a picture of devastation, it looks like Putin's missiles have trashed it, complete destruction, the bridge is in total ruins. If you think I'm taking the p*ss that's 'cos I think C&RT managers are taking the p*ss. I'm beginning to think they actually enjoy stoppages.

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

What a picture of devastation, it looks like Putin's missiles have trashed it, complete destruction, the bridge is in total ruins. If you think I'm taking the p*ss that's 'cos I think C&RT managers are taking the p*ss. I'm beginning to think they actually enjoy stoppages.

I was very underwhelmed by the damage.

1 hour ago, Kendorr said:

Thanks Paul, I'm going to Thorne later today and will have a ride over to the bridges and have a look for myself.

Excellent-be interested to see what you make off it. Did say CRT are due out for an 'inspection' next week- guess its all just a huge H&S issue..

11 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Bramwith Swing bridge has had similar looking damage for the last 5 years plus. CaRT have made no attempt to repair as has little impact on safety or bridge operation.

F8A0CAFC-D8A3-4BEC-BCF5-716A65A2E4B9.jpeg.5fe4c65ee72b8c3e92f786ca6150c98e.jpeg

51 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Bramwith Swing bridge has had similar looking damage for the last 5 years plus. CaRT have made no attempt to repair as has little impact on safety or bridge operation.

Im guessing (and being far removed in the Midlands it is only that) that unless there is some hidden damage to the pivot or locking mechanism its fine- just waiting for someone to actually take a look, put their arse on the line and say so.

Either that or they have run out of tape so cant fix it 😀

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

F8A0CAFC-D8A3-4BEC-BCF5-716A65A2E4B9.jpeg.5fe4c65ee72b8c3e92f786ca6150c98e.jpeg

In both cases it appears a vehicle has driven into the end of the steel bridge parapet at some speed, and yet in neither case is there any damage to the wooden fence on the bridge approach. So has this occurred as a result of someone attempting to drive onto the bridge in the partly open position?

Or is it that repair of the timber fence is within the capability of the local maintenance team, but they can't get a welder out to fix the steelwork?

10 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Im guessing (and being far removed in the Midlands it is only that) that unless there is some hidden damage to the pivot or locking mechanism its fine- just waiting for someone to actually take a look, put their arse on the line and say so.

Either that or they have run out of tape so cant fix it 😀

No issues with the operation of the Bramwith swing bridge, it’s only a couple of miles along from Mauds swing bridge, you never know they may repair Bramwith one day, as I say been like this for years.

49 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

No issues with the operation of the Bramwith swing bridge, it’s only a couple of miles along from Mauds swing bridge, you never know they may repair Bramwith one day, as I say been like this for years.

Sorry- was actually talking about Mauds Bridge damage- as usual its only me who can make much sense of what Im talking about -and thats often debatable 😀

30 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Sorry- was actually talking about Mauds Bridge damage- as usual its only me who can make much sense of what Im talking about -and thats often debatable 😀

Yes, was just saying Bramwith has been like that for years, looks like Mauds will be the same for years to come. Another one for @PeterScott

“On this day 2029 Mauds Swing Bridge” compare with 2028, 2027, 2026, 2025, 2024.

056DF6EC-AEF5-499D-B344-088A9572A455.jpeg.daed31bf61bed93e66f997501b006a44.jpeg

Edited by PD1964
  • Haha 1

So, Moores bridge is completely closed and it looks like new control gear is being installed. There is a road closed notice which says that the Road is closed from 3rd January to 28th February. Nothing has been updated on the Winter stoppage notice.

Mauds bridge is damaged as shown in a previous post, but there is nothing saying that it cannot be used, no signs or anything saying that you cannot use it, only what it says on the CRT stoppage page.

Maybe 28th February things may improve.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Kendorr said:

So, Moores bridge is completely closed and it looks like new control gear is being installed. There is a road closed notice which says that the Road is closed from 3rd January to 28th February. Nothing has been updated on the Winter stoppage notice.

Mauds bridge is damaged as shown in a previous post, but there is nothing saying that it cannot be used, no signs or anything saying that you cannot use it, only what it says on the CRT stoppage page.

Maybe 28th February things may improve.

Looks like another year with no routes and restrictions in/out of SYN through Keadby.

7 hours ago, Kendorr said:

I read that the electricity to unlock the barriers is turned off but I very much suspect the bridge would be operational otherwise. This is the usual over-top-couldn't-give-a-toss C&RT management response to a minor issue. After inspection it will look like Bramwith swing bridge for the foreseeable.

6 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Looks like another year with no routes and restrictions in/out of SYN through Keadby Yorkshire.

edited for you

On 18/01/2023 at 19:38, Midnight said:

"We are awaiting for contractors to assess the damage and to formulate what is required to repair the swingbridge."

If it's taken this long and they are still waiting to assess the damage there's not much hope for a fix anytime soon. C&RT really are pathetic

Do C&RT own the bridges which carry the highway?

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Do C&RT own the bridges which carry the highway?

would suggest they do. When swing bridges break down the waterway is always closed never the road. That road over Maudes is a very minor road and there's a few alternatives close by 

7 hours ago, Midnight said:

would suggest they do

and those who know Thorne will be aware of the footbridge which is often out of order, but that one is owned by Thorne Council and it is they who must be called to sort problems.