The Custom Boat company...

MtB

Featured Posts

There are funny laws about calling something "Made in the UK". It is about adding value to the product rather than where the thing was actually made. 

Assembled in the UK might be more accurate. 

I believe the following to be true:

To label your products as being made in the UK, you will need to demonstrate that there is either a ‘substantial transformation’ and/or that at least 50% of the manufacturing of / value added to such products is completed in the UK.

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

"All products are manufactured to the latest British Standards, and all the companies sites (both UK distribution and manufacturing) operate a BSI approved ISO 9001:2008 accredited quality management system."

But ISO9001 is no guarantee of good quality - it is simply a management system that ensures consistent quality.

You could manufacture components that are absolute rubbish, and, even unsafe to use, but ISO9001 ensures that every one you make is 'the same' rubbish.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But ISO9001 is no guarantee of good quality - it is simply a management system that ensures consistent quality.

You could manufacture components that are absolute rubbish, and, even unsafe to use, but ISO9001 ensures that every one you make is 'the same' rubbish.

However IIRC it also confirms that the devices have actually been tested against the standards that are claimed in the documentation -- and if it's not ISO9001 that does this, it's one of the other relevant standards on the list.

Products assembled/supplied from a UK-run and certified company like BG are far more likely to have actually had the tests and certification done than products assembled and shipped cheaply from China.

If you want to pick holes in their qualification/quality/certification, any other competing products are likely to be worse... 😉

https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/media/akeneo_connector/media_files/B/G/BG_SPCDOC_EN_20210831JW_822UAC30_97f0.pdf

BG USB.png

Edited by IanD

6 hours ago, alias said:

Also, judging by the label on the door glass the fire hasn't been lit yet.

Quite! In the photo in question the flue pipe hasn't been fitted yet. It is present in other, presumably later, photos. So whatever that effect on the tiles is it is nothing to do with heat from the stove. I suspect it is nothing more than light from one of the windows reflecting off the glossy tiles.

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

However IIRC it also confirms that the devices have actually been tested against the standards that are claimed in the documentation -- and if it's not ISO9001 that does this, it's one of the other relevant standards on the list.

Products assembled/supplied from a UK-run and certified company like BG are far more likely to have actually had the tests and certification done than products assembled and shipped cheaply from China.

It has nothing to do with product quality, it is all about a 'management system' that ensures consistency - it is an 'organisational system' 

There are seven Quality Management Principles upon which the ISO 9001 requirements for Quality Management Systems are based. They are equally applicable to product- or service-based organizations, and they are important organizational ideas behind any system for quality management.

A service provider can be ISO9001 even tho' they produce nothing.

There are seven Quality Management Principles upon which the ISO 9001 requirements for Quality Management Systems are based. These are not presented in any order, as they are all seen as equally important to running a good quality management system. They are equally applicable to product- or service-based organizations, and they are important organizational ideas behind any system for quality management.

There are seven Quality Management Principles upon which the ISO 9001 requirements for Quality Management Systems are based. These are not presented in any order, as they are all seen as equally important to running a good quality management system. They are equally applicable to product- or service-based organizations, and they are important organizational ideas behind any system for quality management.

ISO 9001: The seven underpinning quality management principles

The ISO 9002 is the one to achieve for managing product quality :

ISO 9002 is a model for quality assurance in production and installation.

ISO 9003 for quality assurance in final inspection and test.

ISO 9004 gives guidance on achieving sustained organizational success.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Except that it is hidden behind the pattress rather than being plugged in to the front of it so any issues are out of sight and not immediately obvious. 

I suppose there is a component on the board which fails in the same way as a fuse and renders the device neutral and no longer dangerous.

Bigclivedotcom on YouTube did a teardown of a poundshop unbranded USB charger and found that the mains 240v ac and output 5v dc tracks were separated by a very small distance - far less than ISO or CE standards would require. So the risk of a cross connection putting mains voltage onto your 5V charge lead is real. And that isn't going to do your phone much good!

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It has nothing to do with product quality, it is all about a 'management system' that ensures consistency - it is an 'organisational system' 

There are seven Quality Management Principles upon which the ISO 9001 requirements for Quality Management Systems are based. They are equally applicable to product- or service-based organizations, and they are important organizational ideas behind any system for quality management.

A service provider can be ISO9001 even tho' they produce nothing.

ISO 9001: The seven underpinning quality management principles

The ISO 9002 is the one to achieve for managing product quality :

ISO 9002 is a model for quality assurance in production and installation.

ISO 9003 for quality assurance in final inspection and test.

ISO 9004 gives guidance on achieving sustained organizational success.

Yes Alan, I'm well aware of ISO standards, which is why I said it probably wasn't ISO9001 that mattered here.

What is the relevance of this to whether the BG USB sockets are likely to be higher quality than no-name Chinese-sourced ones with possibly dodgy certification?

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Quite! In the photo in question the flue pipe hasn't been fitted yet. It is present in other, presumably later, photos. So whatever that effect on the tiles is it is nothing to do with heat from the stove. I suspect it is nothing more than light from one of the windows reflecting off the glossy tiles.

I just assumed that they had been over zealous with the varnishing! With the resultant crinkle effect   where it got a little warm.

Chris

3 hours ago, IanD said:

"All products are manufactured to the latest British Standards, and all the companies sites (both UK distribution and manufacturing) operate a BSI approved ISO 9001:2008 accredited quality management system."

Ah, so that means that if they want to produce low quality goods and provide paperwork and procedures to show they produce low quality goods, they can get the BSI and imply it is proof of quality, or have they altered it to be worth something to end users.

Confirmed by Alan & Ian.

Edited by Tony Brooks

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ah, so that means that if they want to produce low quality goods and provide paperwork and procedures to show they produce low quality goods, they can get the BSI and imply it is proof of quality, or have they altered it to be worth something to end users.

Confirmed by Alan & Ian.

Exactly right AIUI. Back in the mists of time I investigated getting my business at the time ISO ticketed, but on reading the whole thing I was horrified that all I had to do was define some standards no matter how low, then demonstrate how I would consistently meet them.

• Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

And they all consume power all the time, very wasteful.  Especially on a boat inverter.

Ah, but it's what people want, so while they have their engine or genny running all day and until they turn both their TVs at 11pm, they can enjoy the peace and quiet of boat life, surrounded by all the others who are doing the same...

I distinctly remember hearing a bird sing once, when I was moored up.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Ah, but it's what people want, so while they have their engine or genny running all day and until they turn both their TVs at 11pm, they can enjoy the peace and quiet of boat life, surrounded by all the others who are doing the same...

I distinctly remember hearing a bird sing once, when I was moored up.

I'd have thought that people staring obsessively at their (charging) phones is less damaging to peace and quiet than most other things... 😉

But I do hate people who are so obsessed with them that they go to a live event and spend all their time waving holding their phone up and staring at the screen just so they can record/stream it and tell their mates what a fabulous time they're having -- instead of actually looking at and listening to and enjoying what's actually going in front of them in glorious eyeball-resolution 3D and live binaural sound... 😞

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

And they all consume power all the time, very wasteful.  Especially on a boat inverter.

I can go about 3 days without running my engine, inverter on all the time, 240 volt fridge which I dont switch off at night, usb sockets, wifi router. I dont see it a problem as I move every day so the batteries are 100% when I stop for the night. Over Christmas we had the fairy lights as well.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I can go about 3 days without running my engine, inverter on all the time, 240 volt fridge which I dont switch off at night, usb sockets, wifi router. I dont see it a problem as I move every day so the batteries are 100% when I stop for the night. Over Christmas we had the fairy lights as well.

An efficient fridge -- 230V or 12V -- typically consumes about 15W on average, a WiFi router about 5W. Compared to these -- or pretty much anything else that uses electrical power, like lights -- USB mains sockets are totally negligible at <0.1W each...

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

An efficient fridge -- 230V or 12V -- typically consumes about 15W on average, a WiFi router about 5W. Compared to these -- or pretty much anything else that uses electrical power, like lights -- USB mains sockets are totally negligible at <0.1W each...

I didn't mention the coffee machine

Well fitted mine this morning. Charged Mrs M_JG's Samsung tablet and so far hasn't gone pop. (Touching wood as I type this).

Quite neat looking with the screw covers too. The original one didn't have those.

PXL-20230119-131102548.jpg