The Custom Boat company...

MtB

Featured Posts

Can you adjust the charging rate on one of those i things to match the USB output?

Just now, IanD said:

You can now get ones with USB-C and fast charging built in, which is a good idea for futureproofing.

Did I hear somewhere that apple are going to be obliged to standardise their charging input sockets to the USB C type? 

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Can you adjust the charging rate on one of those i things to match the USB output?

It's the other way round, the charging rate is determined by whatever is plugged in -- so long as it doesn't exceed the socket capability, if it does this will limit the current/voltage instead.

https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/bg-nexus-13a-double-socket-with-30w-type-a-c-usb-white-moulded-822uac30

The USB-A limit is 5V/3A(15W) or 12V/2.75A(27W), the USB-C limit is 5V/3A(15W) or 20V/1.5A(30W) -- voltage and current are negotiated between the socket and what is plugged in.

Edited by IanD

Just now, magnetman said:

No not as far as I know. On mine it's set at 3.1 amps shared between ports so it will be quite slow.

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

It's the other way round, the charging rate is determined by whatever is plugged in -- so long as it doesn't exceed the socket capability, if it does this will limit the current/voltage.

Maybe awkward to implement but being able to change the rate of charge demanded by the product itself would be quite sensible. 

A quick Google suggest that Samsung do have this feature on the device. 

Just now, magnetman said:

Maybe awkward to implement but being able to change the rate of charge demanded by the product itself would be quite sensible. 

A quick Google suggest that Samsung do have this feature on the device. 

If products are capable of doing that, they can. Usually fast-charging is at the lower of the current/voltage limits of the supply/socket and the appliance plugged in.

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Did I hear somewhere that apple are going to be obliged to standardise their charging input sockets to the USB C type? 

Yes but AFAIK know that is at the device end, but I'm happy to be corrected.

My Google Pixel and genuine chargers has type C at both ends though obviously I can use a lead and charger with the older (type A) at the other end.

Just now, M_JG said:

Yes but AFAIK know that is at the device end, but I'm happy to be corrected.

My Google Pixel and genuine chargers has type C at both ends though obviously I can use a lead and charger with the older (type A) at the other end.

Chargers and cables can have either connector at either end. Now USB-C has been mandated (soon?) for new phones etc, it's more likely that the power supply end will also move to USB-C -- the reason for USB-A is that there are *lots* of existing things and cables that use this, which is why the socket I showed has one of each.

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I wonder what it is that goes pop and if it is a fire risk. Some of these electronical things let out a bit of magic smoke when they fry. 

There's a small USB power module inside the socket, these are what goes pop. I believe the better ones (like the BG one) are replaceable, but don't quote me on that... 😉

BG USB.png

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Chargers and cables can have either connector at either end. Now USB-C has been mandated (soon?) for new phones etc, it's more likely that the power supply end will also move to USB-C -- the reason for USB-A is that there are *lots* of existing things and cables that use this, which is why the socket I showed has one of each.

I much prefer USB type C simply because 90% of the times I plug a Type A in it's invariably the wrong way around..

Presumably this fault is too small to be detected by an RCD or RCBO or whatever the device protecting the mains line is. 

I know it is DC but interesting to consider how this device is protected from causing a fire hazard. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Presumably this fault is too small to be detected by an RCD or RCBO or whatever the device protecting the mains line is. 

I know it is DC but interesting to consider how this device is protected from causing a fire hazard. 

Same as any electrical appliance, see above.

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I don't think if a charger plugged into the 240 socket went pop would trigger an RCD would it?

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I much prefer USB type C simply because 90% of the times I plug a Type A in it's invariably the wrong way around..

Note that not all fast-charge protocols are supported via both ports (see above snapshot) -- if the one used by whatever you plug in isn't, it will only charge at the standard USB rate (about 10W IIRC).

2 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I don't think if a charger plugged into the 240 socket went pop would trigger an RCD would it?

Exactly, it's just the same as a plug-in wall-wart... 😉

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Exactly, it's just the same as a plug-in wall-wart... 😉

Except that it is hidden behind the pattress rather than being plugged in to the front of it so any issues are out of sight and not immediately obvious. 

I suppose there is a component on the board which fails in the same way as a fuse and renders the device neutral and no longer dangerous. 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Except that it is hidden behind the pattress rather than being plugged in to the front of it so any issues are out of sight and not immediately obvious. 

I suppose there is a component on the board which fails in the same way as a fuse and renders the device neutral and no longer dangerous. 

That's what all the standards and safety certification I didn't show are for. It's what you don't always get -- or at least, not actually tested -- with cheap Chinese knockoffs... 😉

Edited by IanD

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I wonder what it is that goes pop and if it is a fire risk. Some of these electronical things let out a bit of magic smoke when they fry. 

No smoke, but I di investigate, cant remember now but not long term heating, quick silent blow  

20 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's what all the standards and safety certification I didn't show are for. It's what you don't always get -- or at least, not actually tested -- with cheap Chinese knockoffs... 😉

When I bought mine I didnt realise British General's (BG) products are actually made in the UK rather than branded Chinese made stuff.

Edited by M_JG

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

When I bought mine didnt realise British General's (BG) products are actually made in the UK rather than branded Chinese made stuff.

"All products are manufactured to the latest British Standards, and all the companies sites (both UK distribution and manufacturing) operate a BSI approved ISO 9001:2008 accredited quality management system."

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

"All products are manufactured to the latest British Standards, and all the companies sites (both UK distribution and manufacturing) operate a BSI approved ISO 9001:2008 accredited quality management system."

Indeed.

I asked in store was it Chinese tat or made here.

She laughed and told me UK.