The Custom Boat company...

MtB

Featured Posts

Discussions about the Custom Boat Company (trading out of Devizes Marina apparently) were prematurely curtailed by a thread lock which was apparently nothing to do with discussion of this company's products. So I think it's reasonable for there to be a separate thread to facilitate a continuation of the discussion, and this is it!

£168,000 as mentioned in the other thread for a new, pretty basic-looking NB strikes me as ambitious. Maybe I'm out of touch.

Here's their website:

https://www.thecustomboatcompany.co.uk/

Edited by MtB
Spelling
  • Haha 1

Yes, for all that money you should get more windows than that.

I have heard that steel prices have risen steeply in recent times, so perhaps £3,000 per foot or thereabouts is now the norm. Blimey, it doesn't seem ten minutes since it was £1,000 per foot. Or since 'bus travel was tuppence a mile....

The price rises over the past year or two have a lot to do with it. 2020 would give you a boat with a much higher spec for £170,000, with top quality crafted joinery and fit out. Those £170,000 boats are now £205,000 due to raw material increases. 3 years ago it would have been a £135,000 boat.

• Greenie 1

We were looking at a lined sailaway with a few extras a couple or three years back and got a base price for what we wanted which was around the mid £30k’s mark, when we looked again early 2021 and asked for the same spec in current prices it had near doubled. The above price does not seem that far fetched these days sadly :( 

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

They certainly are a bland looking boat on a nondescript shell...and I agree a mad amount of money...they are a boat for those that have watched a few vlogs and fallen for the hype.

I'm not sure who builds their shells Is that what's known as a semi-cruiser?

Not sure what "rubbing straights" are, either.

I thought the daftest thing were those 2 boxes either side of the hatch. How the hell would you get onto and off of the roof. One day the need would come.

My advice to the OP would be 'have a long, objective think first'

What I noticed about the boat in the other thread was the waste of space around the galley. There is the opportunity to put a wall cupboard on the front bulkhead and another shallower one above the hob.  When you consider storage for saucepans, baking trays, plates, bowls, mugs etc they take up more space that one thinks at first. Then there is storage needed for herbs, spices, condiments, cereals, tinned food and so on.

Then there is the question of accessing low level draws and cupboards when age catches up with you. Having frequently used items that you can access without bending or kneeling down, I would have thought was important.

I thought the poster in that thread said they had lots of storage space, I am afraid I do not agree and that is for a holiday boat, far worse for a liveaboard.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think it's the fitout, they seem to add in every possibly electronic gizmo, two TVs, automatic everything. It's just another floating bungalow, full of toys. Most of which will go wrong with the damp...

Well the damp problem you mention might go away if a real stove was fitted, with a flue. 

Unless the flue is cunningly hidden, it appears they don't bother with flues. Too 'yesterday' perhaps!

image.png.2031a183ebe8a7f4a2e42874259c5188.png

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Unless the flue is cunningly hidden, it appears they don't bother with flues. Too 'yesterday' perhaps!

You obviously stow the flue along with the chimney when the stove isn't in use.

Now you see it.

348043498_Screenshot_20230117-170747_SamsungInternet.jpg.68b3d41739e4d9296fd44f9c942ee353.jpg

Now you don't.1653394609_Screenshot_20230117-170807_SamsungInternet.jpg.9172934165b5bb1cee718fa78ade8a60.jpg

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Does it come with one of these too for filling the water tank (of undetermined capacity)

Not just the water tank. As far as I could see the boat is of undetermined length.

They look incredibly spartan and devoid of any character what so ever for the price.

But I guess they will sell as there seem to be lots who like the minimalist look. 

Not for me.

It's hardly a Custom boat if they insist on you having exactly the same number and style of windows as all the others, the same size Samsung tv, the same 12v fridge, the same 4 x 110 ah agm batteries etc,

As a matter of fact, it's no more custom than an model T Ford in any colour you want so long as its black.

Attention to detail..no fairleads will result in no paint pretty quickly.Screenshot_20230117-185735_Chrome.jpg.b2d479669a217c446d78422c3e9dec1f.jpg

Sockets without USB slots....come on, its 2023 now...Screenshot_20230117-190058_Chrome.jpg.102397b44248ebb38618dc60aac52446.jpg

I reckon theyve built one boat...the one in the photographs. The team may have many years of working with narrowboats and other boats, but this is the first one from this company.

The reason the thread was locked is because the original OP got worried someone would realise it was a cheeky advertising punt.

Edited by matty40s

20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's hardly a Custom boat if they insist on you having exactly the same number and style of windows as all the others, the same size Samsung tv, the same 12v fridge, the same 4 x 110 ah agm batteries etc,

As a matter of fact, it's no more custom than an model T Ford in any colour you want so long as its black.

And as I commented in the other thread the ad says "Innovative design and concept have been brought to life as shown in the detailed gallery below." I could see a reasonably well spec'd boat, but nothing particularly innovative.

And the chimney is on the wrong side. And the decor is the new boat version of 'London white'. 

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Well the damp problem you mention might go away if a real stove was fitted, with a flue. 

image.png.2031a183ebe8a7f4a2e42874259c5188.png

Probably got one of them new fangled wireless flues... :)

Damn, I ss Rusty got there first.

Edited by cuthound
Premature posting