Preston Brook Tunnel

StephenA

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...

The same article was on Waterways World which popped through our letter box yesterday. I thought the boaters hadn't done much research when they didn't realise on reaching Lymm that they had passed where they were to be lifted out 😀

1 hour ago, haggis said:

The same article was on Waterways World which popped through our letter box yesterday. I thought the boaters hadn't done much research when they didn't realise on reaching Lymm that they had passed where they were to be lifted out 😀

You would have thought an unexpected tunnel might have given them pause for thought!

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

You would have thought an unexpected tunnel might have given them pause for thought!

Having met someone just above Kings Lock, Middlewich who asked me which way was Llangollen and was it very far the fact that they didn't work out things had gone wrong doesn't surprise me at all.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I went down Buckby top lock with a boat who wanted to go to Foxton and on our very first hire we set off in the wrong direction from Penkridge 

I have met so many boats coming up Buckby flight from Whilton on their way to London.....

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

We were going up Knowle sharing the locks with a hire boat who when asked where they were heading, said " Stratford on Avon ".  They had to make their way back down the locks 😀

We had similar sharing Hatton with a hire boat, fortunately for them I asked where they were heading as we dropped down the first lock and they were going to Stratford.  They thought you could get back on the Avon at Warwick.  We managed to turn them round in the pound, their 69' just squeezed round with a bit of gentle nudging from our boat.

36 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

They thought you could get back on the Avon at Warwick. 

There was a time when that might have happened...

They got the Queen Mum to open the South Stratford in '64 and the Upper Avon in '74, and some wanted to pencil her in for the Higher Avon in '84.

On 28/02/2023 at 20:26, StephenA said:

Having met someone just above Kings Lock, Middlewich who asked me which way was Llangollen and was it very far the fact that they didn't work out things had gone wrong doesn't surprise me at all.

I once met a single-handed private boater at Fradley he had just turned right out of the Coventry and was in the lock. When I went over to help he told me he was going to Llangollen. When I said he was going the wrong way he got a bit narky and suggested I was trying to get him to turn around so I could have the lock. In the end I showed him a Nicholson's Guide after which he apologised and backed out of the lock. I gave him the Nicks and told him to read it at each junction. 

We shared the Rochdale locks up out of Manchester from Ducie Street Junction with a liveaboard single hander. After many many hours of sruggling with low pounds, reluctant paddles, reluctant gates, removing carpets from propellers etc. the chap said to me "When do we get to the Bridgewater?". Turns out he'd come down the Ashton flight and expected to go down to the Bridgewater via the Rochdale Nine. He took a wrong turn at Ducie Street because he had an old Nicholsons that didn't show the restored Rochadale over the Pennines. By this time we were nearly at the Rose of Lancaster. The next morning he elected to carry on with us over the Pennines and back south via the Calder Hebble, Aire & Calder, River Trent etc.

I remember a few years back coming off the Macc and heading to Etruria when a boat on the T&M Cut across our path. heading for the tunnel. Moored up and got chatting, after following them through the Harecastle tunnel and mooring again behind them on the Caldon at Eutraria, the gentleman asked me where the Macclesfield canal was.  Imagine the look of horror  when I mention it was where the place I first waved at you as you passed my bow 🤣

Edited by JemShaun