What's the phone no for Sherborne Wharf facilities?

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

+44 121 455 6163    10.30 - 17.00

Google is your friend.

Thanks, but Google is not my friend. I've not used those facilities in 4 years, pre-covid, when I recalled I had to ring a mobile number displayed on the hut, and arrange for someone to come round when they were available. The number you list is the old Sherborne Wharf number I already had, which I rang twice this morning, and it rang each time for 8-10 rings before an answering machine only gave boat trip departure times then hung up. Since there's no full Sherborne Wharf any more and I've not been there, I wasn't surprised.

Anyone knows what the mobile number is that's displayed on the hut? I'm not there yet, but I wanted to call in advance. before being told to wait for a couple of hours. Thanks.

Edited by Andrew Denny

That’s why I won’t use them anymore. 
Having to ring and hang about. 
I ain’t got their mobile number, only the 455 6163. 

Birmingham is thin on the ground now for diesel and such services. 

I’ve started using Hawne Basin, can mean going off route but it’s a pleasant journey. They’re very nice, it’s all a lot cheaper and you know your money’s going in the right place 👍

Caggy’s ain’t selling diesel, I called in there. 

Edited by Goliath

Goliath, thanks so much for the tip!  I've since managed to get hold of Away Services, who said they didn't do diesel/pumpout, but she phoned Sherborne's private no for me and they told her the facilities are only open 9am - 12, no later

I can understand that, they don't want diners to inhale boater's, er, fumes, but it's 4 years since I came this way and I had forgotten. But it was the mobile no on the hut I was looking for. I will need to make a note for future reference when I arrive. Afterwards I'm headed down Farmer's Bridge and to the northern BCN afterwards, facilities even fewer on the ground there.  Since it's still winter, I wanted to ensure I'm well 'bunkered up' in case I get stuck in ice or something. 

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Indeed it is - a quick Google would also have told him they're open until 5pm today. 

Maybe that's saved his next post being to ask you to ring them for him? :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your comments. I have since managed to get hold of the Away Services boat (which itself doesn't do facilities at the moment, despite Google saying it does). But the lady there kindly contacted the Sherborne Wharf private no that she had on her phone, and apparently services at the Distillery are only available 9-12noon, not later.  

I should have turned up before 5pm and shouted 'But Google is my friend!' at them, shouldn't I. 

• Greenie 1

Yeah,

I think there’s Ladywood even closer?

There’s Alvechurch down the Birmingham and Worcester

Then Fazely Marina out at the end of the Birmingham and Fazely 

And Oxley out on the Staff and Worcester 

Or Hawne Basin, 
otherwise there’s nowt in Birmingham unless you’re prepared to wait on the silly hours Sherborne now do. 🤷‍♀️

I think, I hope I’m wrong

20 hours ago, Andrew Denny said:

I should have turned up before 5pm and shouted 'But Google is my friend!' at them, shouldn't I. 

Frankly, I think you should just shout at them as you pass and use someone else. Not easy if you're headed down Farmers Bridge though, so you either have to detour (I'd make the trip to Hawne Basin) else bite the bullet I suppose.

They were good once when round at Sherborne Wharf with the little chandlery, etc, and further back I hired from them in the 80s and found them great, but I've not found them at all helpful since they had the Fiddle and Bone and charged for water on what I'm sure I remember was a CRT free one on public moorings previously. Maybe I just caught them on a couple of off days and maybe I'm misremembering the waterpoint and moorings. If their web info is out of date bolleaux though, that's worse than useless and it perhaps speaks volumes.

Anyway, sorry I was a bit sarcastic back there Andrew - I hope you get sorted ok. :)

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Frankly, I think you should just shout at them as you pass and use someone else. Not easy if you're headed down Farmers Bridge though, so you either have to detour (I'd make the trip to Hawne Basin) else bite the bullet I suppose.

They were good once when round at Sherborne Wharf with the little chandlery, etc, and further back I hired from them in the 80s and found them great, but I've not found them at all helpful since they had the Fiddle and Bone and charged for water on what I'm sure I remember was a CRT free one on public moorings previously. Maybe I just caught them on a couple of off days and maybe I'm misremembering the waterpoint and moorings. If their web info is out of date bolleaux though, that's worse than useless and it perhaps speaks volumes.

Anyway, sorry I was a bit sarcastic back there Andrew - I hope you get sorted ok. :)

I don't recall at BW/CRT mooring being there originally and neither was I ever charged by Sherborne for water. Although we were quite friendly with Richard, their then engineer.

3 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

Coal boat Roach does diesel (and I think everything else Sherborne does) and is about in Brum currently if you're still looking

Good idea 👍 

Here’s his number 07778 403657 for anyone interested. 

I caught him at Alvechurch early December. Good service. Drives though ice and the dark to deliver 😃

Edited by Goliath