engine stop

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

On my SR2 there's a rod that pokes through into the cabin that you shove in to stop the engine. I presume it cuts the fuel off. It's attached at the engine end to a disc that it moves round a bit.

About halfway between the gizmo that it moves to do the job and where it goes through the bulkhead there was a load of duct tape which has dropped off. On the rod, from where that was, there seems to be a plastic cover.

The rod no longer moves from inside the boat. I can stop the engine by lifting it and pushing it in the engine bay. It seem to make no sense that it won't work on a straight push.

Does this make any sense to anyone? I'm sure I can fix it when I can spend some time in there but if I'm missing something obvious...

Could the rod be a Bowden cable? An inner and outer cable. If so it sounds as if the outer sheath is not fixed at the engine end and it may have snapped at the bulkhead. I agree that with a rod it makes no sense unless it has worn a groove in itself at the bulkhead so the rod has to be be lifted so the groove lifts away from the bulkhead.

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The rod will push the fuel rack forward to stop the engine, If it is catching on the bulkhead you will not be able to push it. Is there a bit sticking out where the bundle of tape was?

That's what I thought it must do. It's not catching on the bulkhead but it's got a serious bend in it and must be catching somewhere. There's nothing where the tape was, except it's where this plastic sleeve starts. I'll have a proper look when the sun comes out again - no more cruising till March and it's got to stop raining and snowing sooner or later, even in Macclesfield.

Thanks for the advice. It's just odd that all this started when the tape fell off!

45 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's what I thought it must do. It's not catching on the bulkhead but it's got a serious bend in it and must be catching somewhere. There's nothing where the tape was, except it's where this plastic sleeve starts. I'll have a proper look when the sun comes out again - no more cruising till March and it's got to stop raining and snowing sooner or later, even in Macclesfield.

Thanks for the advice. It's just odd that all this started when the tape fell off!

Do you know what a Bowden cable looks like? Some have a thin plastic sleeve over the outer, usually black or grey in colour. What diameter is this "rod"? Is it the same all the way from inside the boat to where it fixes to the engine? It still sounds like a cable where the outer has become un-anchored to me.