Plans at last

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

f

First, what has happened t the forum. It's awhile since Iv'e been here and there are hardley any posts.

Anyway, my reason for coming on now is that I'm planning a summer cruise. Six years ago I returned to the Calder Valley from a 3year trip because I had a minor health problem. It turned out not to be that minor and six years later I'm still here. Being rather better now It's time to get moving. 

The plan is a quick trip to York then the Derwent and Pocklington. around Trent End then the Chesterfield before heading down to Lincoln and Boston. I hope to cross the Wash into the Fens before heading to London. This will almost complete my journey around the system (I've still got the Calden to do).

Now my reason for posting is that in ten years of extensive cruising I met loads of people and made many friends. Largely through this forum. One of the regular occurences was meeting up for a "banter" in various canal locations. and wondered if anyone would bbe interested in reapating such a social gathering.

How about Lapworth, surely the local pus have forgotten we're all banned.

• Greenie 2

Hi there, it's not surprising there's no one about when you posted, it's 2.00 am in the UK, but it's not particularly active on the forum due to the time of year, no one is doing much on their boats.

I think there is a section for banters in the forum.

Edited by LadyG

8 hours ago, Dr Bradley said:

Hi Dr B!! 

Very much agree. the local pus probably has forgotten all about us, by now....

And it's been so long since the last Lapworth banter that the pub there has probably changed hands five or six times by now, given the way the licensed trade works these days.

9 hours ago, Dr Bradley said:

f

First, what has happened t the forum. It's awhile since Iv'e been here and there are hardley any posts.

Anyway, my reason for coming on now is that I'm planning a summer cruise. Six years ago I returned to the Calder Valley from a 3year trip because I had a minor health problem. It turned out not to be that minor and six years later I'm still here. Being rather better now It's time to get moving. 

The plan is a quick trip to York then the Derwent and Pocklington. around Trent End then the Chesterfield before heading down to Lincoln and Boston. I hope to cross the Wash into the Fens before heading to London. This will almost complete my journey around the system (I've still got the Calden to do).

Now my reason for posting is that in ten years of extensive cruising I met loads of people and made many friends. Largely through this forum. One of the regular occurences was meeting up for a "banter" in various canal locations. and wondered if anyone would bbe interested in reapating such a social gathering.

Its good to hear from you again.  The forum is going through a bad patch and threads often get dominated by squabbles between a few people who, I think,  don't even own canal boats. Its very frustrating. The level of knowledge and expertise has gone downhill. Maybe you could post a bit more ? 😀

The Calden is good, and the Ouse (the other one), the middle levels and the Nene are wonderful. 

We are still in the Calder Valley but should be off boating in the spring, if our paths cross a drink would be good.

Welcome back, I think we almost missed each other at Fradley Junction the last time you were headed North and I was delivering PaddyRs ol old boat to Sawley. I was just about to enter junction lock and you appeared turning left. 

The bad head next morning meant it must have been a very good evening and I look forward to seeing you on this year's cruise.

Pssst....Dont forget to get your tank cleaned before the Wash....😉

For the last few years I have organised a Loughborough Banter at Christmas but decided not to do so this one. Mainly because i expected numbers to be low - they have declined recently. Some old hands do not post very often. I'm open to someone else organising one but it would need to fit in with our cruising plans.

Hya Dr B 🙂

Good to see you're on the move again, I'm guessing your lumpy water plans have been postponed?

When are you likely to be passing Lapworth? A lot of the old banterers don't get on here any more but I can contact quite a few via Facebook. It's been a long time since we last had a good banter.

7 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

In my opinion the Narrowboat Owners Group on Facebook seems to be where it is at these days.

Traditional forums like this one draw far fewer new boaters. Facebook is terrible as a searchable resource so not much use for technical issues.

The Facebook partner site to this forum often gets quite a lot of activity, or it used to but I havent looked for a while.

Though looking today it too seems very slow.

3 hours ago, Ange said:

Hya Dr B 🙂

Good to see you're on the move again, I'm guessing your lumpy water plans have been postponed?

When are you likely to be passing Lapworth? A lot of the old banterers don't get on here any more but I can contact quite a few via Facebook. It's been a long time since we last had a good banter.

Laworth not likely to be on my route. For any meeting I would have to drive. How's the cmper van cruising going.

4 minutes ago, Dr Bradley said:

Laworth not likely to be on my route. For any meeting I would have to drive. How's the cmper van cruising going.

That had to be abandoned for the time being. The DIY camper that Dave built turned out to be impractical with my current health problems. We really need a proper camper van but a decent one is beyond our budget.

We do have access to a caravan, Dave just needs to sort out a towbar and fix a few niggles.  Hopefully that would happen in time for any banterers or boaty gatherings.

16 minutes ago, Ange said:

That had to be abandoned for the time being. The DIY camper that Dave built turned out to be impractical with my current health problems. We really need a proper camper van but a decent one is beyond our budget.

We do have access to a caravan, Dave just needs to sort out a towbar and fix a few niggles.  Hopefully that would happen in time for any banterers or boaty gatherings.

You're cooming over to the dark side of wobble box draggers?

Welcome to the club.

And yes, decent motorhomes and campers are still very pricey.

15 hours ago, M_JG said:

You're cooming over to the dark side of wobble box draggers?

Welcome to the club.

And yes, decent motorhomes and campers are still very pricey.

And getting more so.

The price of the base vans is pushing new prices up which in turn is dragging used prices up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2023 at 12:31, Ange said:

A lot of the old banterers don't get on here any more but I can contact quite a few via Facebook. It's been a long time since we last had a good banter.

I haven't been on here for ages. It's certainly been a long time since I went to a banter.

13 hours ago, casper ghost said:

I haven't been on here for ages. It's certainly been a long time since I went to a banter.

Hya Casp - long time no see! Hope you're well.

It's been too long hasn't it? It's a bit difficult for us to organise anything because we're living in Kent now, it's easier if you can visit the establishment to warn them that they'll need to get extra beer in! We've drunk a few pubs dry over the years. 

(That's we as in all the attending boaters, not me and Dave!)