BCN Challenge 2023

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

We even brought our own!

(Wooden spoon that is)

Changing the subject slightly….

Any offers for the purpose of that huge concrete erection next to Spon Lane Top Lock? The one with the very tall tower cranes?

To me it looked like a modern day recreational of the Sandwell coal drops but much, much taller. 

And WELL DONE Tatty Lucy for second place. 

(In much the same way as Finlands second position in that do in Liverpool the other weekend)

😀

Edited by Victor Vectis

9 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So for someone who doesn't know - how does the scoring work? Does a "small" boat like Rivets have an inherent advantage over say "England"

The scoring does vary to give advantage to certain boats, I think full length boats gain a points advantage rather than short boats though, the general idea is to encourage boats that could have extra complications.

Have you ever heard of Mornington crescent and the famed complexity of the rule book? Well the BCN rules are in a different league which I why I prefer crewing, I will work locks and bow haul boats for 12 hrs straight, put the rules in front of me and I cry and open the booze :)

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

The scoring is weighted by length and crew, but I don't think it accounts for quite how tiny Rivets is - they can reach (or exceed...) the speed limit anywhere and share locks with anything that isn't a 70-footer.

They didn't win purely on having a small boat though, lots of planning and a genuine 24h of solid boating.

On Atlas & Malus I think we're reasonably happy with not being last. The more competitive original plan was abandoned by Saturday lunchtime after a series of minor but frustrating mishaps, and we settled into a fairly casual outing. I'm glad to have got a lot more practice steering Atlas, a couple of the towpath bricks at Brades maybe less so.

I was seriously impressed by Thistle - a fairly close second in the trolley trophy with a crew of two, one of them aged ~12!

I don't see Joanna in the results table, did Mike & Jo not file a log? The other notable absence is Tony & Rachel on Belloil, who arrived at Tipton having done 100+ lock miles since the start time but never officially entered!

The concrete thing at Spon is a new energy-from-waste incinerator, similar to the one on the 21. It's gone up amazingly fast.

Edited by Francis Herne

Their big advantage is length, or lack of same. 
The boat can turn round on a standard width canal, no need to look for winding ‘pled. 

Well done to them for winning, even if none of the crew fell in this year!

Edited by Victor Vectis
‘pled’? Where did that come from? I meant ‘ole’
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Francis Herne said:

The scoring is weighted by length and crew, but I don't think it accounts for quite how tiny Rivets is - they can reach (or exceed...) the speed limit anywhere and share locks with anything that isn't a 70-footer.

They didn't win purely on having a small boat though, lots of planning and a genuine 24h of solid boating.

On Atlas & Malus I think we're reasonably happy with not being last. The original, more competitive plan was abandoned by Saturday lunchtime after a series of minor but frustrating mishaps, and we settled into a fairly casual outing. I'm glad to have got a lot more practice steering Atlas, a couple of the towpath bricks at Brades maybe less so.

I don't see Joanna in the results table, did Mike & Jo not file a log? The other notable absence is Tony & Rachel on Belloil, who arrived at Tipton having done 100+ lock miles since the start time but never officially entered!

As I understand it the speed limit is strictly enforced, I know we were questioned last year, we didn't speed by the way ;)

1 minute ago, Francis Herne said:

On Atlas & Malus I think we're reasonably happy with not being last. The original, more competitive plan was abandoned by Saturday lunchtime after a series of minor but frustrating mishaps, and we settled into a fairly casual outing. I'm glad to have got a lot more practice steering Atlas, a couple of the towpath bricks at Brades maybe less so.

If Tony entered he could have the recognition for his efforts. I’m sure he enjoyed the facilities and cheap beer provided by the BCNS and effectively paid for with the entry fees of the other competitors.

Well done to all who took part this year.

We enjoyed it thank you to Jon for organising it.

Was good to see that we can drag a 120 year old girl around it's 20230528_152211.thumb.jpg.cfb59e951bdf61b9e7acc827901ac9c9.jpgold routes.

• Greenie 1

Was a good weekend crewing Song of the Waterways. It isn't either a boat or a crew designed to win so we were very happy with that score. Highlights were making it up the Cannock Extension and to Anglesey, mooring in Bloxwich at midnight (see picture for our high quality quick-release approach for that rapid getaway in the morning), making it off the Gower branch at 1:58 (couldn't have cut that finer) and reaching the finish to at least get the 3pm bonus score. Less pleasant were the three tyres round the prop and the Rushall closure meaning we had to do the Walsall which is an hour longer, hence not finishing on time. There is a really annoying short stretch of the Tame Valley which I have still never boated in consequence.

We comfortably made Wolverhampton Top on Sunday evening and got Song back to the planned location on Monday in time to drive up to the back end of the Langley Mill festival and see @tom_c's large collection of Kelvins.

Have to decide which boat to use next year.

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 1

A great challenge was enjoyed by all on Melaleuca and, at least for the Moomins, it continued on the way home. I left Melaleuca in the bridge-ole at the tail of lock 8 on the 21 to go back and close the gates and, as is my habit, I took the stern rope ashore and left it on the towpath., just in case the boat should drift a bit. I was delayed avoiding a chap on an electric bike coming through the bridge and by the time I'd closed the gates and got back to the bridge-ole, the boat had drifted off into the pound and I was just in time to see the end of the stern rope disappear into the water. Bad words may have been uttered at this point.

The boat drifted to the middle of the pound and then the wind blew it gently onto the mud on the offside, in full view of the bin-lorry drivers queuing to drop loads at the waste incinerator. We tried running water through, but anything we did made a wave that just lifted the boat further onto the mud. The pound was on weir already so no way to increase the level.

In the end there was nothing to do but get in. I have to say that the good folks of Wolverhampton were total unfazed by me wandering around on their towpath wearing boots and undercrackers only. No noticeable reactions at all. I grabbed the bow rope and tried pulling, but I couldn't get any purchase at all standing in 3ft of mud, so I had to go to the stern and climb up the skeg/swansneck/button to get back on board.  Then it was easy to reverse off and take her into the next lock.

Apart from that, it was a straightforward run: I'd say that the Wolverhampton 21 was by far the best lock flight on the trip. It's in a much better state than Famers Bridge or Aston. All the paddles work easily and none of the back gates leak.

Diesel at Turners in Wheaton Aston is 83.9 pence per litre.

MP.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

and by the time I'd closed the gates and got back to the bridge-ole, the boat had drifted off into the pound and I was just in time to see the end of the stern rope disappear into the water.

Same flight, 5 locks higher up, and 30 years ago, I was facing a similar problem. Working down the flight in a hire boat, wife had gone ahead leaving me to work the lock with 10 week-old son happily strapped in his car seat on the cruiser stern deck. Bottom gates open, boat in tickover forward and I climbed back up onto the lockside. As the boat passed I shut one bottom gate, stepped across and shut the other, by which time the boat was moving faster than I had intended and my options to reboard were fast disappearing. A split second decision not to let my firstborn head off alone into the offside reeds saw me take a flying leap for the back deck, caught a heel on the taff rail and ended up in a heap on the deck. By the time I had sorted myself out I found both my ankles hurt like hell and I couldn't stand up. Only managed to proceed to the next lock by sitting on the taff rail and keeping the weight off my feet.

To cut a long story short, I stayed sitting on the taff rail for the rest of the flight while wife did all the work. Ankles got no better. We tied up at what was then Water Travel at the bottom of the Shroppie, and took a taxi to Wolverhampton A&E. Back to the boat on crutches with one leg in plaster and the other heavily bandaged. And a return visit to the fracture clinic next morning.

And then on with the rest of the holiday for the next 2 1/2 weeks!

• Horror 1

Many thanks to all those who have contributed to the thread and particularly those who took part and/or helped me with some of the arrangements. I think the most pleasing part for me - other than the fact it generally went about as well as I'd hoped - was the way the first time entrants took to the Challenge and it's idiosyncracies.

I already have a couple of possible options for next year's finishing point and my intention is to get that nailed down quickly so I can make a better effort at publicising the event for 2024 because in truth it could do with more entrants if it is to remain an annual event. Post-Covid entry levels have been broadly half of pre-Covid levels.

The intention is to again hold the event on the Spring Bank Holiday weekend which next year is Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th May.

I'll start a 2024 Challenge thread when I have some firm news. 

• Greenie 2

Well done

I was dead impressed with the totting up of the scores and the presentation of trophies on the day, that was a good idea. 
Whether that’d be possible with twice the amount of entrants 🤷‍♀️and the time it’d take. 

on that thought: in the past it were ok to finish anywhere and post in the results up to perhaps a week later. 
I guess this year that matter never arose because all Challengers came to Tipton (I think). But in the future could that be a problem? 
For example: the Finish Line is Tipton but one gets as far as 🤷‍♀️ Walsall 

the beer was Ace!

very good. 

And to Dolly: I’m so sorry if I were a noisy neighbour with music. 
I’m sure we were noisy. 
I hang me head in shame.

Sorry. 
But hopefully not as bad as the Karaoke you suffered 😃

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Many thanks to all those who have contributed to the thread and particularly those who took part and/or helped me with some of the arrangements. I think the most pleasing part for me - other than the fact it generally went about as well as I'd hoped - was the way the first time entrants took to the Challenge and it's idiosyncracies.

I already have a couple of possible options for next year's finishing point and my intention is to get that nailed down quickly so I can make a better effort at publicising the event for 2024 because in truth it could do with more entrants if it is to remain an annual event. Post-Covid entry levels have been broadly half of pre-Covid levels.

The intention is to again hold the event on the Spring Bank Holiday weekend which next year is Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th May.

I'll start a 2024 Challenge thread when I have some firm news. 

One thing I did notice was a lack of publicity on social media, certainly nothing I saw on Facebook, normally I see at least a couple of posts advertising the event which I would share and comment on.

To be clear, I'm not criticising at all but it would be grand if we could think of some way to encourage more participation.

How about using the thread as a CWDF off the wall ideas thread, see below :)

Would a local boat hire place be willing to sponsor and provide a day boat for hire for the event?

Edited by tree monkey

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

Well done

I was dead impressed with the totting up of the scores and the presentation of trophies on the day, that was a good idea. 
Whether that’d be possible with twice the amount of entrants 🤷‍♀️and the time it’d take. 

on that thought: in the past it were ok to finish anywhere and post in the results up to perhaps a week later. 
I guess this year that matter never arose because all Challengers came to Tipton (I think). But in the future could that be a problem? 
For example: the Finish Line is Tipton but one gets as far as 🤷‍♀️ Walsall 

the beer was Ace!

very good. 

And to Dolly: I’m so sorry if I were a noisy neighbour with music. 
I’m sure we were noisy. 
I hang me head in shame.

Sorry. 
But hopefully not as bad as the Karaoke you suffered 😃

I emailed our results from the point we were at just after 2pm, which was just through Pudding Green, as I had the electronic form on my phone.

Black Prince, ABC and Rose Narrowboats have all provided boats for the Challenge in recent years. That’s a consequence of links between competitors and those organisations.

As for advertising there certainly was some on Facebook boating groups as Steve Green, owner of Goosander, shared the BCNS posts.

I had left the FB groups I was briefly a member of shortly before agreeing to organise this year’s Challenge. That was because by and large I found them to be tedious. I should perhaps reconsider that decision simply for the purpose of promoting the Challenge.

Flyers sent to, or posted at, cruising clubs and marinas is an option.

The rules state that entrants should plan to finish at the designated finish location and that normal scoring ceases at 1400. However bonus points for arrival at the finish location are awarded up until 1600. Not making it to the finish would somewhat diminish the overall experience in my view.

My request for updates on competitors’ progress perhaps didn’t aid the speed at which I was able to compile the scores but I think it helped both me and some competitors to be connected to the event. Had Rivets not so obviously won then I think I would not have been able to announce a winner in time for it to be filmed. I’ll have more time next year.

Next year I think it’ll be an option of paper copy or full automatic electronic scorecard.

Does anyone know of a suitable tracking app (preferably free and available in android and ios versions) which participants could use to track their progress, and the organisers (or perhaps anyone else as well) would be able to see the progress of all the participants? 

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Does anyone know of a suitable tracking app (preferably free and available in android and ios versions) which participants could use to track their progress, and the organisers (or perhaps anyone else as well) would be able to see the progress of all the participants? 

We were discussing this en-route. Need to talk to @Richard Fairhurst

13 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

The rules state that entrants should plan to finish at the designated finish location and that normal scoring ceases at 1400. However bonus points for arrival at the finish location are awarded up until 1600. Not making it to the finish would somewhat diminish the overall experience in my view.

The past two years the finish has been pretty central - no more than a few hours to head off the BCN via whichever direction. I know this year we and Ferrous had to head off and last year there were at least three boats which did. I think it may be an important factor to have somewhere of that nature now that the aim is to get to the finish (if you go back far enough, it wasn't, but it is probably better this way). Pelsall for example is a nice location but I suspect you would lose a few competitors that way.

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 1