BCN Challenge 2023

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

We seem to be making very slow progress up Perry Barr 😥 Not seen another boat yet! You can track our (slow!) progress here:

https://trackme.nebo.global/?link=ZBDDIB1J4NS2VQKZCYJ1G0XLW6

Something behind bottom gate cill lock 5 Perry Barr. Managed to shift it into lock enough to close bottom gates, but take care through that lock!

All the boats are on the Engine Arm. Goliath, Atlas, Tamar No 2 and Vulpes all at the same time.

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Fast approaching our first lock of the day with two other challenge boats chasing us.

Two others? I know Misty Blue started there. Who else?

In other news Melaleuca made it to the Titford pools. 2’ 10” draft too. Unfortunately a prop foul has halted their return.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

All the boats are on the Engine Arm. Goliath, Atlas, Tamar No 2 and Vulpes all at the same time.

Two others? I know Misty Blue started there. Who else?

In other news Melaleuca made it to the Titford pools. 2’ 10” draft too. Unfortunately a prop foul has halted their return.

Not sure the boat names that started behind us.  One went straight in to Fazeley Mill as he didn't have any diesel in his tank.

Atlas got stuck fast on the Engine Arm. Tamar kindly towed us off, then we went fishing for the chimney (oops) and exchanged it for two big modular fence panels.

Phil wouldn't let me put them on the boat, we'd have won the Trolley Trophy easily 🙁

1685188341076.jpg

Edited by Francis Herne

Rivets 5000 enjoying the weeds and a near sinking of the butty on the Walsall. Just seen 1 other boat on Walsall locks (sorry can’t remember the name) just getting towards Tame Valley and Ryders Green now.

46 minutes ago, Dfasham said:

Rivets 5000 enjoying the weeds and a near sinking of the butty on the Walsall. Just seen 1 other boat on Walsall locks (sorry can’t remember the name) just getting towards Tame Valley and Ryders Green now.

You should meet Melaleuca if they win their fight with the bottom. Currently they’re grounded at Bromford and I’m waiting for them at Pudding Green to perform taxi duties for David of Cruising the Cut

Melaleuca took two hours from Oldbury top lock to the pools and back, including 45 minutes clearing an engine-stopping bladeful. The Pools are deep: the arm isn't.

25 minutes to get out of Spon Lane Bottom lock and around the junction.

Passed David on to Vulpes at Pudding Green.

Just passed Rivets on our way to Rider's Green.

MP.

40 minutes ago, SproutsMum said:

Sprout is enjoying her first BCN Challenge lounging. She has single-dogged up the 21 because the humans were useless. Now enjoying a rest in her Liberace-themed domain.

IMG_1393.jpeg

Our Titford fruit-of-the-prop heavily featured leopard print fabric and zips, so I think single-dogging may have been involved there too.

MP.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

We have just been told by Misbourne that Rushall Locks are closed as a gate has come off, they reversed back to Newton Junction from two locks up.

Yes we got the message just as we were pondering a beer before Rushall, oh well some replanning has occurred and we now have 50% more locks to do than our original plan!

43 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Clarrie at fazeley mill marina watching Rebellion live on YOUTUBE 

Why aren’t you at Tipton, watching the mighty Coventry City in the Old Bush like wot I am?

3 hours ago, SproutsMum said:

Sprout is enjoying her first BCN Challenge lounging. She has single-dogged up the 21 because the humans were useless. Now enjoying a rest in her Liberace-themed domain.

IMG_1393.jpeg

Which boat is Sprout single-dogging (that’s a dubious term and I’m not sure it’s possible 😲)?

• Haha 1