BCN Challenge 2023

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Dan Fasham said:

It is lower.  Best to go from Parkhead as the gauge is about 2” higher and there’s no quibble

Some years ago on the BCN Challenge we took Fulbourne up Parkhead locks. We went up to the tunnel mouth (as you do), and the T stud on the bow barely fitted through the gauge. So no chance for the top plank!

4 hours ago, Dan Fasham said:

Just a thought now that the sheet of metal has been removed from the cape arm entrance, can we get bonus points for a photo on the other side of the entrance tunnel??

5B65EDDD-52A5-4573-8C4D-7CF2C602E1F1.jpeg

Did you manage to get into it? 

Theres something in the entrance that lets you slide in easy enough but is a right git to pole back out again.

1 minute ago, PaulJ said:

Did you manage to get into it? 

Theres something in the entrance that lets you slide in easy enough but is a right git to pole back out again.

We were in Rivets so we went as far up towards the next bridge before it got too shallow

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Dan Fasham said:

We were in Rivets so we went as far up towards the next bridge before it got too shallow

I only poked my nose in there and having had a clear run with no visits down the weed hatch bottled it and poled myself back out 😀

4 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Now you're (nearly) free of the burden of organisation I'm hoping that you'll be competing this year. On that subject I notice that last years HQ boat isn't on the list of competitors. I assume though that @MoominPapa is aware? 

MoominPapa is aware, and cogitating. These days, such plans have to start with getting the crew back into the country and proceed with getting the vessel to the start line.

MP.

On 10/01/2023 at 20:02, Goliath said:

Is it a problem then, are you not going to able to join in as (chief) organiser?

The organiser knows how many points per section, because they have set them. They know where the 'quiz' questions are because they have decided them. We haven't known the answers because Andy Tidy kindly set them for us - which automatically disqualifies him, we still decide it was unfair to compete

It could be possible to both organise and compete, it would need some careful planning to be both fair and seen to be so.

Richard

53 minutes ago, RLWP said:

The organiser knows how many points per section, because they have set them. They know where the 'quiz' questions are because they have decided them. We haven't known the answers because Andy Tidy kindly set them for us - which automatically disqualifies him, we still decide it was unfair to compete

It could be possible to both organise and compete, it would need some careful planning to be both fair and seen to be so.

Richard

Yes, I did think after posting, the questions would be a problem  

Hadn't thought of, or didn’t consider the points per section thing though. 

I’m sure something could be worked out, even if it meant giving Captain Pegg a huge handicap and starting with -250 points 

😃

Edited by Goliath

Doesn't everybody know the points per section?

The questions may be an issue. If Andy Tidy wanted to take part we could maybe find something to hang off the back of his boat as some sort of handicap.

The key words that @Goliath used were "join in" rather than "compete".

As it happens I'll probably be at the Titford rally the previous weekend so I won't be far from Tipton come the start.

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I thought they vary from year to year, along with the bonus points on sections?

dunno I can’t remember it’s been 5 long years

They do, the teams find out the new points per section when they receive the pack, along with the super secret brown envelope that should be opened at the start

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

They do, the teams find out the new points per section when they receive the pack, along with the super secret brown envelope that should be opened at the start

Yes, that’s right, I remember the order of things now,

the points are ‘tweeked’ each year, but entrants know well in advance so they can plan a route,

the only thing that is top secret are the questions which are revealed at 8am on opening the envelope.

👍

the secret envelope is a great touch 

I had to discipline my first crew because they wanted to open it the night before in the pub!

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Dan Fasham said:

It’s the time scales I’m exploring at the moment but I doubt the points will change much

Don't bank on it!

We have always changed the points per section a bit to encourage some parts rather than others. Bigger changes come from bonus points for starting points. Probably the most significant changes are which bits can be score in both directions - and they do get changed

We are about to initiate Jon into this secret process as handed down for centuries, hopefully he will bring his own hedgehogs

Richard

19 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Don't bank on it!

We have always changed the points per section a bit to encourage some parts rather than others. Bigger changes come from bonus points for starting points. Probably the most significant changes are which bits can be score in both directions - and they do get changed

We are about to initiate Jon into this secret process as handed down for centuries, hopefully he will bring his own hedgehogs

Richard

I’ve got some ideas now and got back into the challenge mode.  I will just have to be patient now…… suppose I could service Rivets?………….hands sat on!

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I'm now able to confirm that the finishing point will be Factory Junction, Tipton and boats will congregate at the Malthouse Stables upon finishing. I'm just in conversation with Sandwell council regarding details of the use of the facilities at the stables.

Entry forms have been sent out to last year's participants and all those who have contacted me via the forum. The forms will also be available on the BCNS website shortly.

Excellent choice of finshing spot.  With boats arriving from 3 directions!

32 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Excellent choice of finshing spot.  With boats arriving from 3 directions!

Will be an improvement over everyone trying to get through Gosty Tunnel or down the Bradley Arm.