Metal connector piece dropped into gearbox

Tony1

Featured Posts

Well I've ballsed it up properly this time.

I inserted a plastic tube into the gearbox top-up hole in order to suck out the old fluid with a large syringe.

But I stupidly left the metal connector nozzle attached to the end of the plastic tube,  and when I pulled out the tube, the metal connector came off inside the gearbox, and is now presumably sitting at the bottom. 

My first question is this- is it still safe to run the engine even in neutral? 

I dare not put it into gear, as it seems likely the metal connector thing could be sucked up into the gears and wreck the lot.

But I can't see how I'm going to get it out.

The metal connector is part of this suction/syringe kit:  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08W4CS2Z9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Its about 5cm long and maybe 1cm wide, at its widest point. 

I thought maybe I could get a tiny but very strong magnet, put it on a string, and lower it in there, but the hole is very small, and I dont know if the connector piece is even steel- it might be non magnetic. There is also a sort of down sloping ledge/lip just inside the hole that further obstructs you getting objects in there.

I cant see how it can be worked out of the drain plug underneath the gearbox either- I think its too large. 

I fear that the whole gearbox might have to be taken apart to fish it out. 

Thankfully I do have RCR gold membership so I will call them shortly and get their advice, but if anyone has any ideas in the meantime I'd be very grateful. 

Magnet on a string won't work but IF it is magnetic, which seems a bit improbable, one of the radio aerial telescopic type magnet retrieval tools might do it.

It seems to me like the item will be aluminium. Nasty situation. 

Just now, Tony1 said:

Well I've ballsed it up properly this time.

I inserted a plastic tube into the gearbox top-up hole in order to suck out the old fluid with a large syringe.

But I stupidly left the metal connector nozzle attached to the end of the plastic tube,  and when I pulled out the tube, the metal connector came off inside the gearbox, and is now presumably sitting at the bottom. 

My first question is this- is it still safe to run the engine even in neutral? 

I dare not put it into gear, as it seems likely the metal connector thing could be sucked up into the gears and wreck the lot.

But I can't see how I'm going to get it out.

The metal connector is part of this suction/syringe kit:  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08W4CS2Z9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Its about 5cm long and maybe 1cm wide, at its widest point. 

I thought maybe I could get a tiny but very strong magnet, put it on a string, and lower it in there, but the hole is very small, and I dont know if the connector piece is even steel- it might be non magnetic. There is also a sort of down sloping ledge/lip just inside the hole that further obstructs you getting objects in there.

I cant see how it can be worked out of the drain plug underneath the gearbox either- I think its too large. 

I fear that the whole gearbox might have to be taken apart to fish it out. 

Thankfully I do have RCR gold membership so I will call them shortly and get their advice, but if anyone has any ideas in the meantime I'd be very grateful. 

It might help if you confirmed the make and model of the gearbox.

If it is one of the older or larger PRM hydraulics than I am fairly sure that you can just lift the top part off the box once the 6 or 8 bolts have been undone.

If it is a smaller PRM hydraulic or virtually any mechanical I fear the box will have to come off and be split.

The only other thing is you could try a magnet on a length of stiff wire or an extensible "wand" but it will probably stick to the gears. At least most cases seem to be alloy.

Is it possible this could be a plastic part with chrome on it to make it look like metal? It is Amazon after all...

If it could be established, perhaps by buying another of the same item, what it is made of them it might help. If it was actually plastic then it would probably be "dealt with" by the internals of the gearbox and cause no damage. 

If the whole thing blows up and shatters your leg don't come running to me to complain about it. 

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

It might help if you confirmed the make and model of the gearbox.

If it is one of the older or larger PRM hydraulics than I am fairly sure that you can just lift the top part off the box once the 6 or 8 bolts have been undone.

If it is a smaller PRM hydraulic or virtually any mechanical I fear the box will have to come off and be split.

The only other thing is you could try a magnet on a length of stiff wire or an extensible "wand" but it will probably stick to the gears. At least most cases seem to be alloy.

Bit of blu tac on a piece of wire may be . Clutching a straws. Sorry about the pun.😩😩

2 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Bit of blu tac on a piece of wire may be . Clutching a straws. Sorry about the pun.😩😩

The bit will be oily, so I doubt blutac would stick. And you don't really want the possibility of a piece of blutac wandering round in the bottom of the gearbox either.

Just now, Tony1 said:

Thanks folks- its a PRM120 circa 2015, I'll pop in get a couple of pics shortly. 

So a small mechanical box. I think it would be a one-man job to take the box off once you work out a way of lifting the back of the engine, so the box clears the shaft coupling. Then it should split, you will need a new gasket, and I am not sure that the coupling may have to come off. Depends which end of the box has the bolt on end plate, I think it is the back though.

4 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Just to check- is it safe to run the engine in neutral?

I suspect not, I think it is a layshaft box, so parts and gears will be turning all the time the engine is running. As Cheshire Cat advises stick your finger or a length of soft wood up the drain plug hole to see how much gap there is between case and gears.

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Not to put too fine a point on it but make sure they take the gearbox away from the boat. 

Why? I think I could split the box sitting on the deck or on the floor of a van. Judging by reports here I would not want to risk being supplied with a "reconditioned" box.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Why? I think I could split the box sitting on the deck or on the floor of a van. Judging by reports here I would not want to risk being supplied with a "reconditioned" box.

I edited my post as I missed the vital word out !

Freudian slip maybe. 

Maybe an email to PRM Newage would be worth it. Mention foreign object in gearbox and ask for advice. They will of course say dismantle the box but they may also have other gems. 

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you are going to take the gearbox off, can't you just turn it upside down and try and shake the thing out of the hole it went in through?

From the original Amazon picture it looks like the item is quite long. About 2 inches which would make it awkward to line up.