Venetian Marina

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All... we're looking to move 'up north' in the spring and Venetian seems to be in a good spot for lots of different routes - does anyone have any experience of mooring there?  not much info on their site about how they sort 'leccy etc?

thanks

rob

Passed it many times whilst waiting in queue for the lock, all i know about it is it does attract a bunch of miserable so and so’s at the café, staff seem friendly enough though. Always wondered how it fares with being fully open to the canal rather than having a dedicated entrance, does that make any difference? Also shared pontoons if i remember correctly.

Assuming you’ve also checked out Aqueduct Marina, Overwater Marina, Swanley Bridge Marina & Nantwich Canal Centre?

Shroppie marinas are not shy with the mooring fees :D 

54 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All... we're looking to move 'up north' in the spring and Venetian seems to be in a good spot for lots of different routes - does anyone have any experience of mooring there?  not much info on their site about how they sort 'leccy etc?

thanks

rob

But I thought you were in Ventnor Farm marina which is part of a group so can't you go to a marina up north who are part of the same group

We are in park farm marina and like it there. Good atmosphere, safety for boats and cars and possibly the cheapest in the area. Full just now I think but will.probably have vacancies when folk move out in the springr

16 hours ago, Tonka said:

But I thought you were in Ventnor Farm marina which is part of a group so can't you go to a marina up north who are part of the same group

We moved from Ventnor to Kings Bromley 4 years ago and are happy there.

What surprised me was that the mooring fees were cheaper than Ventnor.

18 hours ago, robtheplod said:

thanks

rob

We know a couple who moor there and I have looked at taking a morring there too. Last I spoke with them (friends and marina) leccy was included in the mooring fee. They have 2 type of mooring package, residential with all the trimings (addy, deliveries, council tax etc) and non-res. With non res  they don't like you staying on board for more than a couple of days whilst in the marina as that devalues the residential. It is very open and trains pass close by quite regulalry. The cafe is quite good and the chadlery prices are good and its good for diesel. 

We were moored at Aqueduct up until 24th Decemeber, though we really left begining of November. Aqueduct is very nice but very expensive. Many people do in fact work on their boats there. They also have some of the best hard standing around with electric and water to each point where you can work on your boat as much as you like. They have no problem with having minor works done on your mooring, e.g. new canopies, solar etc... The cafe is ok, but only ok. The chandlery is decent but expensive at times. Like any place some of the engineering is good, some not so. Their paint shop is very good though. Good access for many cruising routes.

Overwater is goose city, lovely marina though. We have a couple of friend who both moor their boats there. Pretty laid back management and really well kept. If you turn right out of the marina you have the Audlem flight 10 minutes away though :)

Hope that helps.

18 hours ago, Tonka said:

Yes we are.... they dont seem to have marina's in the area we'd like to go to..... 

noticed Venetians T&C's do include 'leccy, but you're not permitted to leave your boat connected when not onboard... this might bring forward my solar install!!

thanks for all the suggestions, will look at each of these.....

28 minutes ago, PCSB said:

We know a couple who moor there and I have looked at taking a morring there too. Last I spoke with them (friends and marina) leccy was included in the mooring fee. They have 2 type of mooring package, residential with all the trimings (addy, deliveries, council tax etc) and non-res. With non res  they don't like you staying on board for more than a couple of days whilst in the marina as that devalues the residential. It is very open and trains pass close by quite regulalry. The cafe is quite good and the chadlery prices are good and its good for diesel. 

We were moored at Aqueduct up until 24th Decemeber, though we really left begining of November. Aqueduct is very nice but very expensive. Many people do in fact work on their boats there. They also have some of the best hard standing around with electric and water to each point where you can work on your boat as much as you like. They have no problem with having minor works done on your mooring, e.g. new canopies, solar etc... The cafe is ok, but only ok. The chandlery is decent but expensive at times. Like any place some of the engineering is good, some not so. Their paint shop is very good though. Good access for many cruising routes.

Overwater is goose city, lovely marina though. We have a couple of friend who both moor their boats there. Pretty laid back management and really well kept. If you turn right out of the marina you have the Audlem flight 10 minutes away though :)

Hope that helps.

mmmm the trains could be a thing if its anything like Whilton!!!  thanks for the review!

Moored there for a week after buying my boat (to cc on, not a judgement on the marina!). The few moorers I spoke to and staff seemed friendly enough.

Quite exposed and windy and bit of rail noise from adjacent minor line, but no road noise so quieter than Whilton. Boats lined up on regular and tidy pontoons. Surrounding  countryside featureless but the really nice bit of the Middlewich Branch is only an hour or so's cruise away. Marina wifi and O2/Three mobile reception was fine.

Tiny village with no facilities but friendly chandlery stocks basic food and drink and there's a cafe. Nantwich is a short drive away.

In addition to the other suggestions in the same general area there's Tattenhall Marina on the Chester canal branch of the Shroppie

On 02/01/2023 at 19:47, enigmatic said:

Moored there for a week after buying my boat (to cc on, not a judgement on the marina!). The few moorers I spoke to and staff seemed friendly enough.

Quite exposed and windy and bit of rail noise from adjacent minor line, but no road noise so quieter than Whilton. Boats lined up on regular and tidy pontoons. Surrounding  countryside featureless but the really nice bit of the Middlewich Branch is only an hour or so's cruise away. Marina wifi and O2/Three mobile reception was fine.

Tiny village with no facilities but friendly chandlery stocks basic food and drink and there's a cafe. Nantwich is a short drive away.

In addition to the other suggestions in the same general area there's Tattenhall Marina on the Chester canal branch of the Shroppie

just looking at Tattenhall - looks lovely!!!!

46 minutes ago, Tonka said:

it is quite exposed to the towpath. Doesn't look as secure as Ventnor Farm Marina

When we stayed in Tattenhall I seem to recall having a security code to acces each jetty, I don't remember thinking it was insecure.

It is part of the Lakeland group so opportunity to use the other marinas in the group as well.

On 02/01/2023 at 10:22, haggis said:

We are in park farm marina and like it there. Good atmosphere, safety for boats and cars and possibly the cheapest in the area. Full just now I think but will.probably have vacancies when folk move out in the springr

I'm hoping to moor in Park Farm from next May, assuming there's space -- which Dave said was very likely by then...

19 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

When we stayed in Tattenhall I seem to recall having a security code to acces each jetty, I don't remember thinking it was insecure.

It is part of the Lakeland group so opportunity to use the other marinas in the group as well.

I am just saying how it appears from the canal as you go past. I have never been in.

So, we visited both Venetian and Tattenhall this weekend. Venetian was OK although the fact they don't permit you plugged into shoreline whilst away from your boat could be problematic for us. The marinas were very different, Venetian seemed to be somewhere you'd store your boat whereas Tattenhall was somewhere you'd like to stay with your boat - if that makes sense?

The cafe at Tattenhall is great - good breakfasts and the people were very accommodating. The marina has excellent 4G mobile network coverage which is important to us (monitoring+TV etc). Oddly its a leisure only marina, but the carparks were suspiciously full and people on most boats - maybe the leisure bit is very flexible!  We've signed up for Tattenhall so looking forward to doing some northernish stuff!  thanks for all the help!

You will find there are quite a few living on their boats unofficially and just keeping a low profile.  We have been in three of the Lakeland groups marinas and they have all had liveaboards even though they are non residential.  It got a bit awkward for some during COVID lockdowns when Lakeland shut the marinas.

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

So, we visited both Venetian and Tattenhall this weekend. Venetian was OK although the fact they don't permit you plugged into shoreline whilst away from your boat could be problematic for us. The marinas were very different, Venetian seemed to be somewhere you'd store your boat whereas Tattenhall was somewhere you'd like to stay with your boat - if that makes sense?

The cafe at Tattenhall is great - good breakfasts and the people were very accommodating. The marina has excellent 4G mobile network coverage which is important to us (monitoring+TV etc). Oddly its a leisure only marina, but the carparks were suspiciously full and people on most boats - maybe the leisure bit is very flexible!  We've signed up for Tattenhall so looking forward to doing some northernish stuff!  thanks for all the help!

Tattanhall looks good from what I’ve seen. 
Like you say a nice café with licensed bar, and friendly people. 

I once had a good breakfast there while I waited for my washing.