Garage Forecourt Coal

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

how about your man fromHebden?

whats his prices now, don’t he occasionally deliver in a Land Rover?

I liked using him for delivery when I could afford to buy 10 bags at a time, £80 -£90 😂

He’ll deliver anywhere along the valley. 

I'm in Hebden bridge, last week coals from Ace Energy of Halifax were £19.10 for 25kg, up about £2.00 from October. They sell logs and kindling.,

I think Dave from Brontë Boats was about the same last month, maybe a bit less. It came in 20kg bags, no problem, prompt delivery.

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

We are right at the end of his delivery range. He would not deliver for free but did not give a price. The wickes price really is good so its easier to use them. Will hopefully take the boat down to Hebden for a couple of weeks Feb/March so will get coal from him then. The railways have taken a lot of his yard back to make a bigger car park, but have built him a new big shed right at the far end.

Was a big yard he had too, probably no bother for him to compact what he’s got into a smaller area? hopefully a better deal for him and you can ask him to drop his prices 😃👍😃

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Was a big yard he had too, probably no bother for him to compact what he’s got into a smaller area? hopefully a better deal for him and you can ask him to drop his prices 😃👍😃

I think its a family bussiness, don't know how many generations, but the days of the traditional coal yard must be very numberred. He does wood too but the media, Guardian in particular, are doing a big anti-woodburning thing so I suspect we won't burn wood for that many years. Several of the properties round here have no mains gas and not the best 'leccy supply so not sure how they will keep warm in 10 years time.

I do have a plan, there are going to be loads of lovely vintage diesel engines available once boats go electric so if I can make my own diesel by fermenting acorns I can generate cheap electricity and hot water. 😀

37 minutes ago, dmr said:

I do have a plan, there are going to be loads of lovely vintage diesel engines available once boats go electric so if I can make my own diesel by fermenting acorns I can generate cheap electricity and hot water. 😀

Oh is THAT where diesel comes from? Thanks!

I've always wondered if it really out of holes in the ground like they say. I never found any when I used to dig the most enormous holes in the garden when I was a kid. 

39 minutes ago, dmr said:

I think its a family bussiness, don't know how many generations, but the days of the traditional coal yard must be very numberred. He does wood too but the media, Guardian in particular, are doing a big anti-woodburning thing so I suspect we won't burn wood for that many years. Several of the properties round here have no mains gas and not the best 'leccy supply so not sure how they will keep warm in 10 years time.

Acorns! I wondered what use they had other than waking me up in the Autumn. 😃

Sounds like stones been chucked at boat. 

Yes, I was buying wood off him last winter I was up there, £10 a bag, big bag mind, not them silly nets. 

Why is the Guardian now against wood burning ?

Bloody middle classes. 

probably still dropping their kids off in 4x4’s and parking on the pavement. 

• Greenie 2

Does anyone take anything written in the Guardian seriously? I would sincerely hope not. But then the same applies for all newspapers and apparently these things are quite popular. 

I don't understand why people want their views decided for them by others but that is what we have it seems..

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Does anyone take anything written in the Guardian seriously? I would sincerely hope not. But then the same applies for all newspapers and apparently these things are quite popular. 

I don't understand why people want their views decided for them by others but that is what we have it seems..

Yes, school teachers take it seriously,

did my nut in,

good source for paper pulp mind 👍

put Guardian through shredder,

into a bucket,

pour in hot water, 

now beat to a pulp,

using the square end of a rolling pin

Use the pulp to make models/things, 

it sets rock ‘ard 👍

cheap as chips,

stuff you resort to in a State School

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Acorns! I wondered what use they had other than waking me up in the Autumn. 😃

Sounds like stones been chucked at boat. 

Yes, I was buying wood off him last winter I was up there, £10 a bag, big bag mind, not them silly nets. 

Why is the Guardian now against wood burning ?

Bloody middle classes. 

probably still dropping their kids off in 4x4’s and parking on the pavement. 

£10 a bag for the wood piled into the bag, spending ages carefully tessellating the logs into the bag was not allowed.

Acorns have many uses, every dog owner should have a pocket full. When dog has a crap pick it up with a poo bag, pop an acorn in and throw it over the wall. Return in 20 years time to find a big healthy oak tree.  Diesel from acorns needs a bit of research but its on my list of projects.

Woodsmoke is bad for particulates and as all the guardian writers live in London they have no idea of how much space there is in the rest of the country.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Oh is THAT where diesel comes from? Thanks!

I've always wondered if it really out of holes in the ground like they say. I never found any when I used to dig the most enormous holes in the garden when I was a kid. 

In 25 years time there will be a whole generation who have never seen or heard a big vintage diesel engine running. It will be a lucrative market. I think Kelvins will have huge value, we just need a good small supply of right-on diesel, acorns do have some potential.

We could run residential experience weeks, days 1 and 2 pick the acorns, days 3 and 4 do the fuel extraction, day 5 fire up the Kelvin.

For real beginers there could be an introductary day.....learn how to recognise an oak tree.

• Greenie 1

I'm burning house coal in inner east London right now and have bodies piling up on the towpath opposite. It's terrible. 

It's is on a boat not a house ! Difficult to get hold of the real black stuff these days but I found someone who lives in a caravan and can get these things. 

It's Columbian. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

Why would that be, I'd think it should  be the other way, I assumed more ash equals more concrete powder.

I've been musing over that for the last day or 2 and have been thinking the same! Surely the temperature of the fire makes no difference.....at least not in my experience. 

4 hours ago, dmr said:

We've tried lots of coals over the years, but I suspect that the formulation changes quite a bit year to year which makes testing pretty difficult. I did start making notes but gave up. I find Ecoal to be up with the better coals and better than most. We have quite a small stove and its easy to keep in overnight on Ecoal.

I have been trying all sorts of different coals this winter in the house. I've tried 11 different types so far and would certainly say you can do quite a bit worse than Ecoal, although you can get slightly lower ash, cheaper alternatives that perform just as well. Annoyingly these tend to have higher petrocoke content so are dirtier to burn...more smoke and dirty glass. I've made notes and might put them in a new thread in a month or so when I've exhausted all varieties at my local coal merchant!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, dmr said:

He does wood too but the media, Guardian in particular, are doing a big anti-woodburning thing so I suspect we won't burn wood for that many years.]

I wondered where that stupidity was coming from. When I had a stove installed in the house a few neighbours got prickly about it......suggesting it's bad for the environment. Burning sustainable wood is the only realistic way of heating a house in a (almost) zero carbon way at the moment, so it does surprise me that certain media are taking that stance. The neighbours mumbled and awkwardly shuffled their feet when I asked about the effect on the environment and carbon output of their natural gas boilers. 

9 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I wondered where that stupidity was coming from. When I had a stove installed in the house a few neighbours got prickly about it......suggesting it's bad for the environment. Burning sustainable wood is the only realistic way of heating a house in a (almost) zero carbon way at the moment, so it does surprise me that certain media are taking that stance. The neighbours mumbled and awkwardly shuffled their feet when I asked about the effect on the environment and carbon output of their natural gas boilers. 

On Christmas day we lit a fire in a canalside field, ate a bag of mixed nuts and drank a bottle of port (or was it two). I suspect and hope we did less damage to the environment than a typical christmas day.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Interesting article from George Mondbiot in the Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/27/wood-burning-stove-environment-home-toxins?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I've no axe to grind. I've got multfuel stoves on the boat and at my house. 

A guy on youtube did an experiment in this with an air quality meter. He found the typical reading was 7 ppm in his living room. When the stove was lit this went up to about 20 ppm. So in the press this is advertised as three times as much polution....but three times a fairly low amount. 20 ppm is still very low levels of polution. There are Lies, damn lies and statistics! 

4 minutes ago, booke23 said:

A guy on youtube did an experiment in this with an air quality meter. He found the typical reading was 7 ppm in his living room. When the stove was lit this went up to about 20 ppm. So in the press this is advertised as three times as much polution....but three times a fairly low amount. 20 ppm is still very low levels of polution. There are Lies, damn lies and statistics! 

What was the ppm referring to? 

I've got a few digital display carbon monoxide alarms on the boats and yes they read in ppm and it sometimes goes up when the fire is going. 

This isn't the same thing as air pollution. 

I personally think there are too many people about anyway and filtering them out (pun intended) by their inability to deal with a bit of smoke would be a good way to lose some of the less durable and therefore less useful specimens. 

Maybe a bit harsh. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

What was the ppm referring to? 

I've got a few digital display carbon monoxide alarms on the boats and yes they read in ppm and it sometimes goes up when the fire is going. 

This isn't the same thing as air pollution. 

I personally think there are too many people about anyway and filtering them out (pun intended) by their inability to deal with a bit of smoke would be a good way to lose some of the less durable and therefore less useful specimens. 

Maybe a bit harsh. 

The PPM was specifically about fine particle (PM5 & PM 2.5) of dust the fire kicked out into the atmosphere of the house, it wasn't about carbon monoxide

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/wood-burning-stoves/article/wood-burning-stoves-what-you-need-to-know/stoves-and-pollution-aIPXC8g7lbu5

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The PPM was specifically about fine particle (PM5 & PM 2.5) of dust the fire kicked out into the atmosphere of the house, it wasn't about carbon monoxide

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/wood-burning-stoves/article/wood-burning-stoves-what-you-need-to-know/stoves-and-pollution-aIPXC8g7lbu5

Its puzzling how these particles gets out into the room at all, given there is 8 metres of vertical insulated flue sucking hard on the combustion chamber of yer average domestic household multi-fuel burner. 

Or there is on mine anyway in the hovel, and I think it's a pretty typical installation. 

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its puzzling how these particles gets out into the room at all, given there is 8 metres of vertical insulated flue sucking hard on the combustion chamber of yer average domestic household multi-fuel burner. 

Or there is on mine anyway in the hovel, and I think it's a pretty typical installation. 

Should have been in our Welsh hillside place a few days ago, The room was full of smoke, it was very windy and as the gusts blew more smoke appeared, dangerous things these wood stoves.

To be fair on inspection the door glass was loose with almost no seals and the door rope was so old it was useless, good job I had a box of spares I had recently stocked up

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Should have been in our Welsh hillside place a few days ago, The room was full of smoke, it was very windy and as the gusts blew more smoke appeared, dangerous things these wood stoves.

To be fair on inspection the door glass was loose with almost no seals and the door rope was so old it was useless, good job I had a box of spares I had recently stocked up

Ah right. My stove and flue is brand new, installed by a HETAS bod in full compliance with Building Regs and whistles annoyingly when you close it right down as air gets sucked in through the microscopic gaps in the door seals etc!

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe they had the window open and there were some electric cars going past shedding rubber from the tyres.

I did read an article, possibly the one under discussion and the initial increase happened on lighting the fire, poor combustion and poor draw on the chimney, the levels dropped as the fire established but spiked each time fuel was added, the levels were generally higher than a room with no fire but apparently within acceptable levels

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

The problem with woodburning stoves is not CO2 emissions but particulates, especially the small PM2.5 ones which have recently been found to be particularly unhealthy to breathe.

That's why there have been all the articles recently against solid fuel stoves, even woodburners...