6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ta.

Link is 12GW over 3300km, that's 5500A@+/-1100kV DC... 🙂

That's 2.2 million volts between the wires -- hope the insulation is good... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Wow you have a good memory.

We had a newborn in MGH in the midst of all that shit storm.

Not good.

I remember it well. A huge amount of conflicting " Facts " given by " Experts " a complete bollocks of a job. At that time I was working in Leeds crown courts and having listened to " Experts " who both expertly proved diametrically opposing views in several court cases I take large amounts of salt with much stuff produced by experts.

• Greenie 1

So. What is the environmental impact of building a solar farm in Morocco and sending all that electricity via. a very big cable all the way to us.

I'm asking for a friend.

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You really have a problem Martin why don't you go back to the unstable bar?

Is that the forum that Johnv created?

The one where some nut job claimed I'd stalked her?

Because somebody who bought our boat and then after that moored near her? And she didn't like the way he looked at her?

I dont think so.

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You really have a problem Martin why don't you go back to the unstable bar?

So just answer the question.

Just what is the environmental impact, A simple acknowledgement of you having no idea would suffice.

Edited by M_JG

Silence is golden..

But to help @peterboat out the answer goes someting like this....

'The environmental impact of building a massive solar farm on another continent and sending the power produced to us is offset by the overall impact and reduction on climate change'.

Hell I should be his script writer.

Of course I would expect him to back that up but lets leave it here for now..

Edited by M_JG

17 minutes ago, bizzard said:

liverpool-869.jpg

That is how those of us who can't afford an electric car we will have to travel, once the inmates have their way.

I remember them, the trolly poles used to come down, and they held the traffic up while they put them back up with a long wooden pole carried along the side of the bus.  Will they allow you to carry your coal back to the boat though?

:)

9 minutes ago, Peanut said:

That is how those of us who can't afford an electric car we will have to travel, once the inmates have their way.

I remember them, the trolly poles used to come down, and they held the traffic up while they put them back up with a long wooden pole carried along the side of the bus.  Will they allow you to carry your coal back to the boat though?

:)

Liverpool tram, a Green Goddess, All taken out of service in 1956 in favour of diesel buses.

9 hours ago, bizzard said:

liverpool-869.jpg

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

Liverpool tram, a Green Goddess, All taken out of service in 1956 in favour of diesel buses.

That's Liverpool 869, now preserved at Crich. Liverpool's last tram ran on 14 September 1957, and is now at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine, USA where it languishes unloved at the back of a storage shed.

00293SUK.jpg

https://collections.trolleymuseum.org/items/204

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, IanD said:

Vegetation rotting down naturally is part of the *natural* climate cycle, innit? The real problem is the *unnatural* stuff that humans are pumping into the atmosphere from burning fossil fuels... 😞

Yes it is part of the natural cycle but it was your comment that rotting wood produced 'the real problem' - methane that prompted my remark. Pity to spoil a good argument by adding in the questionable.

26 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Yes it is part of the natural cycle but it was your comment that rotting wood produced 'the real problem' - methane that prompted my remark. Pity to spoil a good argument by adding in the questionable.

Wasn't my comment, guv... 😉

26 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Actually its a really serious problem have a look at this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjp-puPm6v8AhXRglwKHXW5DkAQFnoECA4QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheconversation.com%2Fdecaying-forest-wood-releases-a-whopping-10-9-billion-tonnes-of-carbon-each-year-this-will-increase-under-climate-change-164406&usg=AOvVaw2171oQqjSfw8ioRp1LQ3G1

Just now, IanD said:

Wasn't my comment, guv... 😉

It was mine and I have put up a link to show how serious the problem is just for carbon issues methane is another problem

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Those numbers are completely misleading, and show that you've misunderstood the problem... 😞

Rotting wood releases billions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere each year, just like it did before humans came along. And the carbon absorption cycle re-absorbs that back into plants and algae, just like it did before humans came along.

it's the things that humans do on top of the natural carbon cycle -- mainly, burning fossil fuels and deforestation -- that are the big problem. And before you say "but we cut down lots more trees and let them rot!" -- well, cutting down the trees in the first place (deforestation) is a *far* bigger problem than the methane released by the rotting wood that might result from it.

It's always necessary to look at the big picture, not one isolated fact (or article) which appears to tell you what you want to hear... 😉

Edited by IanD

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It's not a problem as such though, it contributes to the natural carbon cycle and the system deals with it, the problem is our over release of carbon which means the system, robust though it is, could reach a tipping point

• Greenie 1

Can't be sure of all the wood I've been burning this winter, but there's some oak in the fire now. Used birch and elder, too. I'm going to be burning something, and wood is more pleasant. More pleasant than the fossilized version. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

I loaded  the grate with Columbian doubles and dozed off last night, after laughing heartily at your ramblings about looking after the planet for my non existent grandchildren. 

Imagine my horror when I awoke to this..

Is it the face of the devil himself? Or one of Ian's escaped emojis?!

20230103_105631.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I loaded  the grate with Columbian doubles and dozed off last night, after laughing heartily at your ramblings about looking after the planet for my non existent grandchildren. 

Imagine my horror when I awoke to this..

Is it the face of the devil himself? Or one of Ian's escaped emojis?!

I don't have any grandchildren -- at least yet, or not that I'm aware of. Doesn't stop me thinking that dropping this whole problem into the laps of our descendents by ignoring it is a bad and selfish idea though... 😞

Though even though banning "lifestyle" woodburners to reduce nasty PM2.5 pollution makes sense for the likes of George Monbiot, it doesn't make necessarily make sense to demonise boaters, since there are probably only about 20000 woodburning stoves on boats compared to about 2 million in Islington (just an example!) houses... 😉

Same reasoning for diesel propulsion (35000 canal boats vs. 35M cars in the UK, so also about 1% of the problem), and a similar issue in that it's difficult (and expensive) for boats to go all-electric just like it is for them to stop burning wood...

But this would all need some thinking by the government to make (justifiable?) exceptions for boaters, and thinking is not something they seem to be particularly good at... 😞

Also there's the court of public opinion to worry about -- I doubt that said Islington resident who has had their cosy woodburning stove forcibly removed will be very happy to look out of their window and see canal boats still burning wood. And it's people like this (ooh, generalisations again...) who have the ear of government (or *are* the government), unlike poorly-represented and disorganised boaters... 😞 

Edited by IanD

The early organisms thrived on carbon dioxide. They began to produce oxygen, and apparently, that killed half the species on the planet. Organisms adapt. And nobody would be any the wiser without humans. 

Edited by Higgs

11 hours ago, bizzard said:

liverpool-869.jpg

Pretty, but trolleybuses are a much better idea.  With modern controls to automate detatching & attaching the poles in flight when travelling over junctions using batteries so no complex junction overhead stuff.

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Pretty, but trolleybuses are a much better idea.  With modern controls to automate detatching & attaching the poles in flight when travelling over junctions using batteries so no complex junction overhead stuff.

Yes, but, lots of cities are building new tram systems at great expense (Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and more) and I don't think anybody is re-introducing the trolley bus. Why?