How critical is engine oil type?

Tony1

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you were here I would soon fix you up with a suitable set screw. Those I have had dealings with were (I think) M8 so I suggest you go to your neatest motor factors, car spares place or even Halfords and look at their expensive "useful bits rage/Pearly Wotnots" Try to judge the size of the hole in your filter and buy the shortest  SET SCREW of the same diameter. Try it in your filter and if it screws right in without feeling it hit the filter guts buy a fibre or plastic washer for it. If you have a local chandler they will probably look in a "selection box" and do it all for you.

Thanks again Tony, I'll take the filter to a local car spares place and see if they have anything to fit its thread without causing internal damage. 

I want to assemble a full set of parts and have them ready for the next service, as I might be many miles away from my postal address and its a bit of a pain trying to gather parts together at short notice.

Just to add (and you will already know this very well), for any newbies looking to do an engine service, don't necessarily buy the original parts. 

Midland chandlers are selling canaline 38 fuel filters for about £35 (and there might be postage as well), and on ebay I found a filter that is apparently compatible with the canaline 38, for less than a tenner. 

17 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Thanks again Tony, I'll take the filter to a local car spares place and see if they have anything to fit its thread without causing internal damage. 

I want to assemble a full set of parts and have them ready for the next service, as I might be many miles away from my postal address and its a bit of a pain trying to gather parts together at short notice.

Just to add (and you will already know this very well), for any newbies looking to do an engine service, don't necessarily buy the original parts. 

Midland chandlers are selling canaline 38 fuel filters for about £35 (and there might be postage as well), and on ebay I found a filter that is apparently compatible with the canaline 38, for less than a tenner. 

In my view on;y a rich idiot would buy the manufacturer's/mariniser's service parts. They are only rebadged parts from reputable suppliers (usually) and scraping any paint off can be informative. I think most CCers tend to use the likes of Filters Direct who seem to know about marinised engines and list filters etc. for them. Many also buy several at a time so they have spares.

The major reputable filter manufacturers also have online comparison charts so if you know your filter number you can find other makers part numbers. You know ALCO SP-854 so that gives you a start, but what it will not do is tell you if the filter has a metal or plastic plug.

Edited to add:

The Alco cataloge throws up this:

Part Number Other Code Manufacturer Applications Cross Reference
1 SP-854 23304-78020 TOYOTA   Cross Reference  
2 SP-854 23304-89102 TOYOTA   Cross Reference  
3 SP-854 23401-1520 TOYOTA   Cross Reference  
4 SP-854 ELG5344 MECAFILTER   Cross Reference  
5 SP-854 FC174 VIC   Cross Reference  
6 SP-854 TF01-13-ZA5 MAZDA   Cross Reference  

So now you have some engine manufacturer's part numbers that may help you find others that suit.

Incidently Mann and Baldwin filters could not find your part number in their range, but that might be me rather than their wed pages.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

Does anyone know where I might get either a hex bolt drain plug to fit the new SK-48612 filter I bought, OR or a new screw in fuel filter compatible with the ALCO SP-854? 

Try Darwen Diesels. I got one from there. I believe their mail order is efficient and will take orders and advise over the phone.

• Greenie 1