Farmers Friend NB

mark99

Featured Posts

I see The Farmers Friend is an image that belonged to the Caldon Canal Society

Said to be 1914 before the First World War, the craft belonged to Bowyers and Thorley and is seen at  Consall Forge, so it is not Froghall strictly, although Bowyer and Thorley were lime burners at Froghall.

The traffic at Froghall would have declined when Endon interchange was completed. 

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, mark99 said:

Capture.JPG

Farmer's Friend was Bowers & Thorley fleet No.1. There are photos of this boat painted differently. Here is another view of the same trip taken at Flint Mill Lock The chap in the background holding a pipe is familiar but I can't put a name to him at the moment. It isn't Primrose Thorley who was one of the owners. I love the upturned tiller to enable the standing steerer to see over the crowd on the image above.

Bowers & Thorley - Farmers Friend at Flint Mill lock, Consall 3.jpg

• Greenie 2

The person at the tiller is said to be Francis Hordern. As to the person with the pipe, it has been suggested that this was a group of people associated with one of the Potteries. Whether that was the case might be worthwhile to follow up.

The 1911 Census links Francis Hordern boatman with Froghall

rg14_16682_0093_03-a.jpg

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 2

There is another photo of FARMERS FRIEND published in NarrowBoat magazine Summer 2009 page 13 with Primrose Thorley standing in the hatches. The boat was registered at Stoke in December 1899.

He may well be the man with the moustache standing on the beam with his legs crossed in the photo at Flint Mill Lock.
  • Greenie 1