Weather

haggis

Featured Posts

Looking at news from bbc and from friends back home today I am so glad we are down here and missing it. It is horrendous to see major roads and railways closed and friends houses flooded. 

The few spots of dampness we have had pale into insignificance.

Enjoy your weather folks and be glad you are not in Scotland !

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, haggis said:

Looking at news from bbc and from friends back home today I am so glad we are down here and missing it. It is horrendous to see major roads and railways closed and friends houses flooded. 

The few spots of dampness we have had pale into insignificance.

Enjoy your weather folks and be glad you are not in Scotland !

I am glad we drove home on Wednesday. Nothing out of the ordinary in Aberdeen but with M74 and M9 closed, the journey would have been a nightmare today. But as you say, the really bad thing is the flooded homes.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

That looks very dramatic. Dumfries appears to have been particularly badly flooded.

M74 is the extension of the M6 into Scotland - main link between the 2 countries. You can imagine the press coverage if the M6 in Englandshire was closed both ways due to flooding, even though there are plenty of alternative routes!

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If it isn't in that London, it isn't happening.

Whilst I would tend to agree, I think its more a case of numbers, and how relative to any given population the news is. Greater London alone as part of England, has a population significantly higher than the entirety of Scotland and Wales put together. Its a numbers game.

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Athy said:

That looks very dramatic. Dumfries appears to have been particularly badly flooded.

When I lives there it was the same, the little fishy has robbed SEPA of that much money they can't effectively sort the flooding! A good dredging of all the rivers in the area would be a good start putting the mud back on the land would be a great start!

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Whilst I would tend to agree, I think its more a case of numbers, and how relative to any given population the news is. Greater London alone as part of England, has a population significantly higher than the entirety of Scotland and Wales put together. Its a numbers game.

So the rest of the country doesnt matter? Never mind the population density I would think such flooding as the south of Scotland had would warrant a mention. 

I am not in favour of independence but it is Scotland being ignored by  BRITISH broadcasting which makes so many want it. 

20 minutes ago, haggis said:

So the rest of the country doesnt matter? Never mind the population density I would think such flooding as the south of Scotland had would warrant a mention. 

I am not in favour of independence but it is Scotland being ignored by  BRITISH broadcasting which makes so many want it. 

Its not 'the rest of the country' its just Scotland !!

Even the hotel fire in Cambodia gets more air time on the BBC news than the Scottish snow blocked roads and subsequent flooding.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, haggis said:

I only know about it because of my connections to the area its shocking that it's not all over the news

• Greenie 1

SWMBO is currently helping No2 Son and DiL move house - they are way way up in the HIghlands and their new house is 5 miles off the 'main' road down a single track 'estate-road' and then about 500 yards off the estate road down their drive.

They are busy decorating, cleaning and getting ready for the 'move' on the 6th.

A few days ago they struggled to get there because of the snow, then it melted and the Burn at the bottom of their garden overflowed into the garden and yesterday they had another 4"+ of snow and couldn't get down their drive, even in the 4WD, so had to carry all the cleaning stuff, ladders, paste tables, paint etc thru the snow.

Do the BBC tell us about that - NO !

Edit :

I did have to smile when they told me the water was frozen and they were having to melt the snow for washing stuff down. I suggested that they look under the sink for the stop-tap and sure enough it was turned off. 

Smug-Face.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

SWMBO is currently helping No2 Son and DiL move house - they are way way up in the HIghlands and their new house is 5 miles off the 'main' road down a single track 'estate-road' and then about 500 yards off the estate road down their drive.

They are busy decorating, cleaning and getting ready for the 'move' on the 6th.

A few days ago they struggled to get there because of the snow, then it melted and the Burn at the bottom of their garden overflowed into the garden and yesterday they had another 4"+ of snow and couldn't get down their drive, even in the 4WD, so had to carry all the cleaning stuff, ladders, paste tables, paint etc thru the snow.

Do the BBC tell us about that - NO !

Edit :

I did have to smile when they told me the water was frozen and they were having to melt the snow for washing stuff down. I suggested that they look under the sink for the stop-tap and sure enough it was turned off. 

Smug-Face.

That sounds like fairly normal weather for the north of Scotland but the rain which fell in the southern  part of the country a few days ago was far from normal . 

When we get snow we just cope be with it and feel amused when panic sets in because the south of England had had a small dusting. We then see on our national news photos of cars skidding around in what is fairly normal for us. It does give us some amusement though 😊

• Greenie 2