Discarded fishing tackle

Momac

Featured Posts

This morning my daughters dog has managed to get a fish hook in his leg while being walked by the river . The dog will not let anyone near it so its a trip to the Vet and probable sedation required and probably needs antibiotics .

My I ask anyone who does go fishing to not discard fishing line and hooks on the riverbank but to dispose of it responsibly.

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

This morning my daughters dog has managed to get a fish hook in his leg while being walked by the river . The dog will not let anyone near it so its a trip to the Vet and probable sedation required and probably needs antibiotics .

My I ask anyone who does go fishing to not discard fishing line and hooks on the riverbank but to dispose of it responsibly.

It has got so bad, that when diving we now have to carry 'line-cutters' for when we get wrapped up in the stuff.

Nasty. 

Many years ago my little lurcher was running down the towpath while I was going along in the boat and she picked up a piece of something tasty. It had a hook in it and a line attached. She carried on running seemingly not bothered. A fishing rod proceeded to follow behind her then the angler who had had been chatting to someone else started running behind, grabbed the rod and cut the line. This was on the Thames not the canal and the bank was too shallow to approach by boat. 

A bit further along I got her in the boat and luckily the hook was in her lip not her throat. Wire cutters to cut the eye off the hook then I pushed the barbed spike through the lip with a pair of pliers and pulled it out the other side. She was very compliant. 

All good after that I was very relieved she had not swallowed it ! 

Perhaps removing all the fish from canals and redistributing them elsewhere would put the buggers off.

Not sure if they actually care about catching anything or if the aim is to sit around in a nice place looking miserable. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

It would be better to just ban fishing on all inland waterways...its a cruel and barbaric activity.

I suspect too many people make a living from it .

Accepting the fishists are there legitimately the leaving behind debris is unacceptable.  Not only dogs but wildlife are at risk . 

I picked up a fishing hook in my finger at the bratch locks, I hadn't noticed when I came in to tie the boat up to go and book in for the locks that there must have been some fishing gear dumped by the bollard which got caught in my centre line.  As I coiled the centre line to put on the roof I got the hook in my finger along with the line and a float.  Fortunately it was a barbless hook so easily pulled back out.

At the Vets the dog was held down (probably involving a degree of cooperation from the dog)  but after snipping off part of the hook the remainder of the hook has disappeared into the dogs  leg, verified  by x ray.

So surgery under sedation now in progress.

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

At the Vets the dog was held down (probably involving a degree of cooperation from the dog)  but after snipping off part of the hook the remainder of the hook has disappeared into the dogs  leg, verified  by x ray.

So surgery under sedation now in progress.

Hope the dog makes a speedy recovery...poor thing!! Im guessing thats not going to be cheap either....and of course those guilty wont give a hoot about the distress they have caused to both animal and human.

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1

Unless somebody is fishing for one's tea or supper fishing is an utterly pointless activity IMHO. Canal and river fishing when the catch is thrown back is a pastime that completely defeats me as to why it's remotely interesting or enjoyable.

Judging by the expression on the faces of those that indulge in the activity I reckon most if asked would agree.

Hope the dog is OK.

Just as boaters, cyclists, dog walkers, etc, who behave badly are generally a small minority bringing the rest into disrepute this, I'm sure, is atypical. The majority of anglers use barbless hooks and are very aware of the dangers discarded line can cause.

There's no accounting for the effects of a few ignorant half-wits. Unfortunately, the rest of us all have to spend disproportionate amounts of time having to take into account the effects of those few ignorant half-wits!

• Greenie 1

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Just as boaters, cyclists, dog walkers, etc, who behave badly are generally a small minority bringing the rest into disrepute this, I'm sure, is atypical. The majority of anglers use barbless hooks and are very aware of the dangers discarded line can cause.

There's no accounting for the effects of a few ignorant half-wits. Unfortunately, the rest of us all have to spend disproportionate amounts of time having to take into account the effects of those few ignorant half-wits!

Also true for boaters of all types... 😉

Times my eye has nearly been gouged out by bits of line and hooks dangling from tree branches and bridges. Only last Friday one of my windows was chipped by an imbecile fishing idiot doing stupid great inaccurate casts on the moorings here.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Times my eye has nearly been gouged out by bits of line and hooks dangling from tree branches and bridges. Only last Friday one of my windows was chipped by an imbecile fishing idiot doing stupid great inaccurate casts on the moorings here.

Thought that fisherman had lost the skill of casting now that they all use poles

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

Thought that fisherman had lost the skill of casting now that they all use poles

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

He was casting and trolling for Pike or Perch.