Toilet questions

squid

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Here I sit feeling artful, got in free and did a cart full

Nice one,

I like a sense of humour,

Oh so, it was you in the cubicle next to me all those years ago, now I know why the penny didn't plop. During the war, did you used to be in Only Fools and Horses?🤣

Your turn, bearing in mind, I have been insulted by experts 🤣

Hope to see you all on the cut, my NB will be named Smiles, I'll tell you why one day, you know it makes sense Rodney.

1 hour ago, Smiles said:

Hope to see you all on the cut, my NB will be named Smiles, I'll tell you why one day, you know it makes sense Rodney.

Q. What’s the longest word in the world?

A. Smiles — because there’s a mile between the two s’s.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Q. What’s the longest word in the world?

A. Smiles — because there’s a mile between the two s’s.

I like it, I like it, it’s infinity and beyond.  It’s just so supercalifragilisticexpialidocious 😊

16 minutes ago, peterboat said:

So as a afterthought apparently composting is the way forward, the product safely and with less pollution replaced traditional modern fertilizers 

https://news.sky.com/story/fertiliser-made-from-human-faeces-and-urine-is-safe-to-use-on-food-crops-say-scientists-12787999

I don't think this is in dispute BUT you will note the bumph said  "If correctly prepared and quality-controlled, up to 25% of conventional synthetic mineral fertilisers in Germany could be replaced by recycling fertilisers from human urine and faeces." and it does not specify what that means. I have doubts that cold composting would have the same results, especially for pathogens. For years in the 60s Slough Sewerage works sold and spread a liquid fertiliser product called Cinagro. I am sure many other works did similar, they certainly did in the US as an earlier link shows. Too much liquid in the composting process or not enough container insulation/heat I suspect would give a rather different result.The same will apply if too little liquid is present.

The question is how tight is the production control done by ordinary boaters.

• Happy 1

I'm sure one of the DIY chains used to sell growbags with human biosolid content. I think it was B&Q but no trace of it on Google so maybe a fig ment of the imagination. 

Speaking of figs has anyone noticed the fig trees ?

I did an ecology degree in the eighties. The local sewage treatment plant output, after treatment, went to farms as fertiliser. Still ok https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sewage-sludge-in-agriculture-code-of-practic

Nothing wrong with that, it's general practice.

Still a reason to wash your veg before cooking, along with removing whatever other chemical or biological elements might still be present from the farm/factory before they hit the shelves. 

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

So as a afterthought apparently composting is the way forward, the product safely and with less pollution replaced traditional modern fertilizers 

https://news.sky.com/story/fertiliser-made-from-human-faeces-and-urine-is-safe-to-use-on-food-crops-say-scientists-12787999

I'm a scientist too, and I say that a load of random people are not to be relied on to construct and manage a human composting system for growing salad crops.

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm a scientist too, and I say that a load of random people are not to be relied on to construct and manage a human composting system for growing salad crops.

Yet they do successfully and in my case for many years, Dr Bob has produced it as well with the scientific proof that it's safe. At some point it will be all that's available as the need for fertiliser wont be available from other sources

Has anyone seen the 1973 film 'Soylent Green'? It's along the same theme as this thread, as it's about what we eat. And, 'what goes in has to come out' plop.

Plot.

By 2022,[3] the cumulative effects of overpopulation, pollution and global warming have caused severe worldwide shortages of food, water and housing. New York City has a population of 40 million, and only the WEF elite can afford spacious apartments, clean water, and natural food. The homes of the elite are fortified, with security systems and bodyguards for their tenants. Usually, they include concubines (who are referred to as "furniture"). The poor live in squalor, haul water from communal spigots, and eat highly processed wafers: Soylent Red, Soylent Yellow, and the latest product, far more flavorful and nutritious, Soylent Green.

Sound familiar 🤔

Edited by Smiles

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Yet they do successfully and in my case for many years, Dr Bob has produced it as well with the scientific proof that it's safe. At some point it will be all that's available as the need for fertiliser wont be available from other sources

But from what I could see, he did not. He did show that with hot composting it worked, and I have no argument with that, provided the whole lot is hot composted without the parts next to container walls & base being left cool/cold. In fact, I think he "matured" his in single wall plastic boxes so without regular turning sides to middle there is always the possibility of pathogens surviving. The point myself and LadyG tried to make is that there is a distinct possibility of pathogens remaining in the final compost when people are trying to DIY it in less than ideal conditions.

I am sure the sewerage works regularly sample and test heavy metals, pharmaceuticals and pathogens before it is used on the land.  I don't think heavy metals would be a problem with toilet content composting, but the other two may well be. You claim that you have successfully composted for many years, so presumably you regularly test for pathogens and pharmaceuticals. If you have not then although what you do suits you I don't see how it can be successful because you don't know if i contains any "nasties".

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But from what I could see, he did not. He did show that with hot composting it worked, and I have no argument with that, provided the whole lot is hot composted without the parts next to container walls & base being left cool/cold. In fact, I think he "matured" his in single wall plastic boxes so without regular turning sides to middle there is always the possibility of pathogens surviving. The point myself and LadyG tried to make is that there is a distinct possibility of pathogens remaining in the final compost when people are trying to DIY it in less than ideal conditions.

I am sure the sewerage works regularly sample and test heavy metals, pharmaceuticals and pathogens before it is used on the land.  I don't think heavy metals would be a problem with toilet content composting, but the other two may well be. You claim that you have successfully composted for many years, so presumably you regularly test for pathogens and pharmaceuticals. If you have not then although what you do suits you I don't see how it can be successful because you don't know if i contains any "nasties".

It goes on my allotment Tony along with well rotted cow and horse poo, topped with leaf compost. I have done it for years with no ill effects, in the recent past it was what was always used, now am I worried no, why should I be? By the time my compost hits the veggies it's 3 years old and well composted and its been turned a few times

I once went for an interview with a company who disposed of the solids from sewage farms, it was a continuous process, ie a steady run of lorries carrying sludge to farmers and landowners. They have to dispose of the stuff, there is no point in forensic testing, it has to go "out the door". Most of it would be ploughed in.

Organic farms don't use this sludge, they keep re-cyling clean compost from animals which are treated with minimal chemicals and antibiotics.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I once went for an interview with a company who disposed of the solids from sewage farms, it was a continuous process, ie a steady run of lorries carrying sludge to farmers and landowners. They have to dispose of the stuff, there is no point in forensic testing, it has to go "out the door". Most of it would be ploughed in.

Organic farms don't use this sludge, they keep re-cyling clean compost from animals which are treated with minimal chemicals and antibiotics.

used to be called the ‘Night Soil’. 

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

It goes on my allotment Tony along with well rotted cow and horse poo, topped with leaf compost. I have done it for years with no ill effects, in the recent past it was what was always used, now am I worried no, why should I be? By the time my compost hits the veggies it's 3 years old and well composted and its been turned a few times

We know, you keep telling us.

I'm slightly shocked that the output from humans would contain pathogens, toxins, heavy metals and pharmaceuticals. 

It almost seems like people might be doing something wrong ! There I was thinking you are what you eat and if you eat steak and chips and a beer or two it will all be okay at the other end. 

Clearly not. Toxins ! Pathogens!! 

Where there.s muck there's brass. 

• Haha 1