Info on my local narrowboat builder

philip levy

Featured Posts

OK so its taken some time but we are now exploring the idea of a new narrowboat to enjoy our retirement. I live in Burton on Trent so looking for local if possible. We really dont want an old one so looking for new only. There is a local company, Russell Narrowboats, and they have a professional looking website and some superb looking new build narrowboats for sale but other than their website we cant find much info about this compay.

As we will be investing a lot of our retirement savings I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this company?

Thanks in Advance, Philip & Sarah

Welcome, looking at the pictures they seam to be like what most builders are doing at the minute, painted ply, oak trim and reverse layout, all modern IKEA style as I call it. why don’t you go and have a chat and view a few boats at Mercia or Barton Marina, both close to you. They often have new builds for sale or you may find a newish secondhand boat that you like.

Here’s a pic of a new build that Barton Marina have, could save you a wait.

A305D4D5-5B32-4D88-86EF-97AD8E3A1D0E.jpeg.0f97d04f1aa16da65f566e465a65666e.jpeg

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The company was only registered in April this year, so not much of a track record. It appears to be owned by a husband and wife couple, so it's just another in a long line of small sole trader or family narrowboat builders. To be able to have built as many boats as the website suggests in under a year would be remarkable, so either Mr Russell has employed quite a large team in a short space of time, or some of these boats have been produced by a predecessor company. 

I note that Mr and Mrs Russell are also the sole directors of a building company, which suggests boat building isn't their sole occupation.

If this is to be your first boat you don't yet have the experience to know what will or will not work for you. The standard advice here to people in your position is to buy a used boat first. You'll probably spend less than half the cost of a new boat, it will hold its value pretty well so you won't lose much if any when you do sell, you can start using the boat immediately rather than waiting for months or years for your new build, and if you then find out that narrowboating is not for you you won't have sunk your retirement savings into a boat which has depreciated significantly. And if you find you love it, you will then be in a much better position to specify the new build that you will keep for the long term.

Thanks for your reply an interesting. I think they have been around longer than that as I used to work in Wetmore Road for the brewery and saw the there several years ago. I understand what you are saying about a second hand boat but we have had many long canal hoidays so understand what it is like and just like the idea of having a boat that no one else has lived in. We wont jump quickly, this is the start and as Russell Narrowboats are local I was hoping to find someone with experience of a boat from them. I really appreciate the time you have taken gto reply. Thank you

Just now, noddyboater said:

Finding out whose shells they use and having a look at one in bare metal might be a starting point. 

I admit that I get confused by boat fitting out companies calling themselves "Boat builders".

That was my initial reaction, but the website shows a shed with two shells being fabricated, suggesting they do build from scratch.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Welcome, looking at the pictures they seam to be like what most builders are doing at the minute, painted ply, oak trim and reverse layout, all modern IKEA style as I call it. why don’t you go and have a chat and view a few boats at Mercia or Barton Marina, both close to you. They often have new builds for sale or you may find a newish secondhand boat that you like.

Thanks for your reply, we will take a look but we do like the bright clean modern look of this style though. This isnt something we are going to rush into so will keepn an open mind.

Covid lockdown resulted in a few builders, shopfitting companies turn to narrowboat building to keep the cash flow coming and employees in work. One I know of has won the Crick show award twice since they started!! 

One thing to bear in mind with at least 2 of those boats featured in the Russel portfolio, is that the rear seat/taff rail sticks out further than the tumble home of the main cabin  and could cause you some problems(I have seen serious damage done to these).

Lastly, and only a personal observation, the front end is disgraceful.

From my jaundiced view boats are sold on the quality of trim and not the very foundations of a boat which are (IMHO) -

The steel

Steelwork

Engine and transmission

quality of other services.

As in a new car, the shuny bits look great - but if the mechanics are rubbish.....

ps: there are plenty of boatbuilders around in the midlands  and  moving a boat is not difficult or expensive - so widen your search areea.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

One thing to bear in mind with at least 2 of those boats featured in the Russel portfolio, is that the rear seat/taff rail sticks out further than the tumble home of the main cabin  and could cause you some problems(I have seen serious damage done to these).

Agreed.  Ghastly straight line cabin, not a curve anywhere, ugly pinched bow, stupid fat back end. Cheap looking fitout.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I agree entirely with Matty regarding the shell. To my eyes, it’s an ugly bugger!

Unfortunately if the OP pops up to Mercia Marina for a look at new boats that's exactly what they've got to offer. Clones of the same design,  wide and narrow.  Continue to the used boats pontoon and they might find something with a more pleasing shape. 

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

10 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I agree entirely with Matty regarding the shell. To my eyes, it’s an ugly bugger!

Despite countless interior pictures, I could only see one that in any way showed the front end, and even that was only part of it.

But based on that alone I agree with both Matty and Dave - that is going to be a very ugly boat.

• Greenie 3

I’ve said it before, but I just don’t understand why anyone wants a new boat. You will pay a huge price for a massive amount of depreciation, a lot of after sales snagging, and it still won’t quite be the boat you wanted.

Find a really good older boat, and learn what you can and can’t put up with, and save tens of thousands of pounds in the process.

• Greenie 3

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Despite countless interior pictures, I could only see one that in any way showed the front end, and even that was only part of it.

I found at least two, both similarly grating to look at, to my eye. 

Here's one:

image.png.6af18c00e763e1de52282a8e3c325c6e.png

• Horror 2

Jeeeesus - what an ugly sewer tube. Are you sure its not taken from a computer generated cartoon in a childs story book

I bet those nav lights don't last very long !

"Buy a boat from us, and everyday you'll see happy smiling folk as you cruise down the canal"

edit : foa spooling errurs

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, philip levy said:

Thanks for your reply, we will take a look but we do like the bright clean modern look of this style though. This isnt something we are going to rush into so will keepn an open mind.

You mentioned this was a major investment for you, I assume you know this is a depreciating asset and that bricks and mortar will stand test of time, buy a nice little narrowboat, second hand, enjoy it, then when it is no longer fun, return to bricks and mortar.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You mentioned this was a major investment for you, I assume you know this is a depreciating asset and that bricks and mortar will stand test of time, buy a nice little narrowboat, second hand, enjoy it, then when it is no longer fun, return to bricks and mortar.

I do agree. This is exactly the sort of anodyne boat that loses 50% of its purchase price the instant the hull gets wet. 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Better still, don't sell your bricks and mortar.Put it in the hands of a letting agency and go boating knowing that when you are too old and knackered for boating you can return to dry land.

Boats depreciate,and house prices go up, so by selling your property for a boat, you may spend your later years renting as you may be unable to afford a house.

• Greenie 3