Victron multiplus 3000 and washing machines

SusieC

Featured Posts

Washing machines and inverters is a minefield.   Some combinations work for some people.  The same combinations don't work for other people.  Some combinations work sometimes, but not others.

The basic principle is to look for a twin tub, or, if you must have a  dhobymatic,  then look for one which has no electronics.  That is a hard ask these days, so most people are forced into trial and, sometimes, error

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question, but I do not think there is a reliable answer.

N

• Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, BEngo said:

dhobymatic

:clapping:

Apart from that, the rest of the post is it also the right answer. The trusty little twin tubs many of us have for those reasons not only use far less power, but also spin the laundry to almost dry, thus reducing a significant issue on a boat.

Or you could get a generator and hack off your neighbours every time you do your dhobying...

Previous boat had Victron 3000 Multiplus and Zanussi ZWC1300. Worked fine. That Multiplus failed just out of 5 year warranty and new one fitted. Also worked fine.

After 9 years washer failed and replaced by Zanussi ZWC1301. Would not work from inverter at all despite all the 'tricks' suggested by many people.

That Zanussi failed whilst under its extended warranty and replaced by identical model which worked fine.

New boat also has Multiplus and Ebac washing machine. Works perfectly.

You have pay and then find out, unfortunately.

• Greenie 1

My washer Bendix automatic washer will not run the wash cycle but it will run all the other cycles. I have one of the small washing machines for the wash cycle and the transfer into Bendix to rinse and spin.

Rinse and spin requires my 2kw generator.

I suspect but dont really know that the bendix wash problem may be due to some sort of internal thermal cutout, just a theory never proven.

We had a victron 3000 multi on the barge and never had a problem with the washing machine which was an old fashioned turn the knob kind. The heater on it was nearly 3kw so used to run the genny until the water was up to temperature to save the batteries. I’ve never seen them here but on the continent they sell a narrow top loading drum washing machine which has a door in the drum to put the stuff in. We had a lot of 240 volt stuff on board including fridge, ice maker tv satellite receiver, coffee machine and kettle and never found anything that the inverter didn’t run so it’s strange that some washing machines struggle.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

We had a lot of 240 volt stuff on board including fridge, ice maker tv satellite receiver, coffee machine and kettle and never found anything that the inverter didn’t run so it’s strange that some washing machines struggle.

That's modern electronics for you. Too fussy by half!

Our Indecit IWDC6125 works fine with our 3000 Multi. Economic use of water too. This is a washer drier but have rarely used the drier function. We only use it when we are under way with the engine running though.

A couple of years ago I set the Multi to output 220V instead of 230V but the washer did not like that at all and kept stopping mid program.

• Greenie 1

I have an old microprocessor Multiplus 12/2000/80 and a Zanussi 1301. Works fine for the first fill, heat and drain but then when it fills again for the first rinse cycle, the drum motor cuts out repeatedly when it tries to ramp up.

Putting a 500w resistive load on the inverter makes it work, but it needs to be on for the rest of the cycle - three rinses and spin. Keep on meaning to put the output of the inverter on a scope to see what's happening, but for now I just run the machine until the rinse cycle starts and then use the generator.

• Greenie 1