Two-week holiday in February 2023 - where to go?

ShrimpBurrito

Featured Posts

Howdy folks,

I'm looking to do a ~2-week holiday mid-February 2023. I was hoping to do something like the Four Counties ring, but there are some winter closures along the way during that time that make a ring impassable. We could possibly do an out and back, perhaps hiring from Norbury Wharf, whom I'm not familiar with but they are accessible from the south and apparently open that time of year.

Alternatively, I have no real preference as to the specific canal -- I'd go anywhere in the UK. We just want to have a relaxing holiday, akin to our last trip, which was a December 1-week out and back a few years ago on the Llangollen canal between Llangollen and Whitchurch. Sure, stopping by the occasional pub is nice, as are local landmarks like a castle, but boring countryside is also great. Locks and bridges are fine -- I'm traveling with another adult and a very excited 10-year old.

I was also looking at the Leeds and Liverpool, but haven't yet found a company to hire from that time of year. 

Does anyone have any suggestions I should look into?

Many thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Dave

Edited by ShrimpBurrito

I've hired from Norbury Wharf before,found them to be a friendly and helpful company. I hired in late October a few years ago and did an out and back trip upto Whitchurch, the Shropshire Union has some very impressive cuttings and embankments and plenty of exercise at Audlem locks. I only took a week to do Whitchurch and back, you could continue up to Llangollen if you wanted to repeat that, maybe with a detour on to the Montgomery, or head back to the Shropshire Union and head up towards Chester. 

(I haven't checked winter closures so some of the above may not be possible in February)

To find other hire companies who are open in February look on

https://www.waterwaysholidays.com

North Kilworth Wharf are a nice provider on the Leicester Summit. Good cruising and varied interesting bits like the Foxton Locks Flight, Husbands Bosworth Tunnel, Welford Wharf, Market harborough.  They also have proper stoves on their boats! Great in the winter.

• 3 months later...