Is this a portent for the demise of Crick Show?

johnmck

Featured Posts

The caravan and boat show at the NEC was the first boat show we visited when we  were first looking for a boat and  didn't really know  what was available.

It was a relatively small show at that time but had  a good mix of inland waterways and salty water craft.

Looking at the link I would say this show is similar , but without the caravans and looks to be larger.

Probably of no interest to people who do not have a wider interest in boats and boating.

image.png.fac72b323e5a3756e617fb12ce8935df.png

Edited by MartynG

On 09/01/2023 at 17:49, David Mack said:

Same weekend as the BCN Challenge.

It has ever been thus. One event for those that like to do, and one for those that like to look.

Belfast, or Fulbourne, or both, would be very welcome at the Challenge.

Indoor shows are always difficult economically because you have the cost of transporting the boat to the show and back again, whereas with Crick et al you just take it there by canal (often for free, by the owners, if the boat’s been sold already). That’s the main reason why the London show never worked for inland waterways - that plus the cost of staffing it for a week. 

So at the old Birmingham show you’d have a couple of boats there from the big guys like Alvechurch (principally selling holidays) and Sea Otter, but nothing from the smaller builders. The good thing about the old show was that it was a caravan show as well, so you could walk down the hall and buy all your 12V kit at half the price of the boating stands…

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

... still trying to decide if its worth visiting this?  anyone know the % roughly dedicated to canal stuff???

I’m against it, but the better half really wants to go :( 

Thought i’d dodged it the other year by getting her tickets to the virtual one :D 

41 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I’m against it, but the better half really wants to go :( 

Thought i’d dodged it the other year by getting her tickets to the virtual one :D 

same here... Heather likes the fact its indoors and is something to do on a grim Feb day!

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

... still trying to decide if its worth visiting this?  anyone know the % roughly dedicated to canal stuff???

Last time I went, I'd say it was about 25% of stands were genuine canal stuff. (Discounting all the boat builders, in which I had no interest.) Really quite disappointing and my van got stuck in the mud in the field. 

Again...

I decided never to go again.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

But lots of jewellery, sweets, food, crafts and other stuff I wasn't interested in

Same here.

When i said 25%, I was being optimistic. Had I put what I thought the real percentage was, everyone would have piled in saying "how ridiculous"....

Just now, MtB said:

Same here.

When i said 25%, I was being optimistic. Had I put what I thought the real percentage was, everyone would have piled in saying "how ridiculous"....

Last time I went it was just as they were lifting the foot and mouth restrictions and we were moored up by the winding hole

On 23/12/2022 at 08:38, Stroudwater1 said:

I noticed that the Great Dorset steam fair is cancelled next year, not sure why but perhaps the cost and organisation with the liabilities now is getting too much for large outdoor events? 

Would rather go there then Crick, as I can see Narrowboats every day, but can’t hear the sound and see a steam organ or working steam tractor☹️

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1