Is this a portent for the demise of Crick Show?

johnmck

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

Oh dear. Living aboard goes mainstream eh? 

Never mind buying a starter home as your, um, starter home. Boatlife is now officially your first step onto the housing ladder.....

A rather simplistic analysis if  I may say so.

But not unexpected of course.

4 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Totally agree MTB. Even more of a rosier view when the event is held in a central, air conditioned venue. 

Its a boat show john, get over yourself.

7 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Hark....

Be blessed.

The Rectum has spoken.

Lovely post John,

Why not start a whole thread dedicated to me, you've done it before so go for it again. I have a long memory BTW.

13 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Lovely post John,

Why not start a whole thread dedicated to me, you've done it before so go for it again. I have a long memory BTW.

Ah, as suspected, Elephantine. 

This being a boating forum, one presumes your interest is like minded.

But no. You snipe. I am merely responding.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Ah, as suspected, Elephantine. 

This being a boating forum, one presumes your interest is like minded.

But no. You snipe. I am merely responding.

Are you denying you once started a whole thread to discuss me.?

Yes or no.

Simple question ...

Coppers dont lie, now do they?

Edited by M_JG

11 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Are you denying you once started a whole thread to discuss me.?

Yes or no.

Simple question ...

Coppers dont lie, now do they?

I started this thread to discuss the somewhat endemic belief that boat life was supposedly the panacea for modern living. That the Crick show, overpriced in every respect, had perhaps, seen its day. You , for your own reasons, diverted this to a personal vendetta,to which I have duly responded. 

Yes, many moons ago, I did start a thread,  , which you identified yourself as the rectum.

Get over it...

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, johnmck said:

I started this thread to discuss the somewhat endemic belief that boat life was supposedly the panacea for modern living. That the Crick show, overpriced in every respect, had perhaps, seen its day. You , for your own reasons, diverted this to a personal vendetta,to which I have duly responded. 

Yes, many moons ago, I did start a thread,  , which you identified yourself as the rectum.

Get over it...

Thought so. Just wanted to double check.

IIRC narrowboat builders used to have space at the indoor boat show in London so this is nothing particularly new.

2 hours ago, M_JG said:

Thought so. Just wanted to double check.

IIRC narrowboat builders used to have space at the indoor boat show in London so this is nothing particularly new.

Not only that they used to have space at the Camping and Caravan show at the NEC.

It was dropped due to lack of interest😱

My parents used to go to London and the NEC boat shows with a boat from Alvechurch.  Used to set it up, give it a fresh blacking to make it look nice, one year my mum knocked a tin of blacking over and caused a right mess.

• Love 1

Once you've been to Crick a few times there's no real reason to keep going - in my view anyway. Unless of course it's just to moan about how it's getting worse which seems to be a penchant of so many people on this forum on most subjects.

I don't really see why another canal boat show at the NEC is something to moan about either? If you don't like the idea then just don't go. 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is may be a point to consider that access to Crick (or Braunston) by public transport is difficult, In showing the advantages of boating there is a need not only to cater for the those who go there by car or by boat and so an event at the NEC has the potential to reach a new market. That is as long as RMT and ASLEF unions permit it, of course.

That said places like Crick do have an advantage to show off waterway life and these events should continue, but not always on an annual basis may be.

The Boat Life show at the NEC is 10-00 to 18-00 in Halls 17 - 20 which is on the Atrium Side of the site so the nearest boat mooring would be on the Grand Union near Solihull, but there is a bus service from Solihull to the NEC (X12) and then it is walk across the station, bridge link and skywalk to those halls.

Perhaps the most cost effective visit is to moor in Birmingham and catch the train from Birmingham New Street. Then you are free to try the pubs in Birmingham and maybe visit Resorts World at the NEC and for the energetic, (Goliath for example) try out Bear Grylls ?

Edited by Heartland

10 minutes ago, Heartland said:

It is may be a point to consider that access to Crick (or Braunston) by public transport is difficult, In showing the advantages of boating there is a need not only to cater for the those who go there by car or by boat and so an event at the NEC has the potential to reach a new market. That is as long as RMT and ASLEF unions the Government and the Train Operating Companies permit it, of course.

That said places like Crick do have an advantage to show off waterway life and these events should continue, but not always on an annual basis may be.

The Boat Life show at the NEC is 10-00 to 18-00 in Halls 17 - 20 which is on the Atrium Side of the site so the nearest boat mooring would be on the Grand Union near Solihull, but there is a bus service from Solihull to the NEC (X12) and then it is walk across the station, bridge link and skywalk to those halls.

FTFY

• Greenie 1

FTFY

Full Time and First Year definitely an education !

When we understand history, we understand that racism has always been a scam.- probably a point to consider especially as it has been 20 years since the Aston Shootings where two innocent young women died !

Edited by Heartland

On 22/12/2022 at 23:10, Higgs said:

They used to have this venue some 22 years ago. Can't be too accurate about how long ago. But it took place when I worked for a particular boatyard. 

I too was scratching my head trying to remember when this was. Remember seeing a 60 footer? called lazy Daisy stuffed full of kit supplied by Aquafax. It wound up mooring alongside me a few years later.

As an exhibition it was a bit of  a damp squid.

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Erm, all squids are damp. Decidedly wet, in fact.

Another tut-tut remark, giving no indication that you actually can correct the minor, but easily understood slip.  

Damp squib.