1 teabag = 4 STRONG mugs of tea

XLD

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Sainsburys loose tea for me, please. We don't often shop at Sainsburys but their tea is better than Asda or Morrisons.

I also like Aldi Gold teabags-- even better than Yorkshire Tea, and cheaper.

I've never had a decent cup of tea made with a teabag. There is always some sort of scummy plasticky film floating about on the surface Absolutely disgusting, I think it must come from the adhesive or the perforated sheet used to make the bag. Puts me right off. 

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

I've never had a decent cup of tea made with a teabag. There is always some sort of scummy plasticky film floating about on the surface Absolutely disgusting, I think it must come from the adhesive or the perforated sheet used to make the bag. Puts me right off. 

I suspect that it isn’t easy to find a teabag that doesn’t contain any plastic.

Ditto for wetwipes.

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

And it’s not just the look, you can definitely taste it too, even with a decent brand such as Twinings.

Blimey, I never realised the way different people liked to make their tea  was such a contentious topic for discussion.

I don't really understand this tread. It started with the OP criticising others for using too many teabags and continued in the same vein. Here's an idea: Why don't people just carry on making cups or pots of tea exactly the way they like without the need to tell everyone that previous suggestions are wrong and what they like is better? There are thousands of different ways of making tea and we all like different things don't we?

I suppose it's just banter but if we did this for everything where will it end?

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Blimey, I never realised the way different people liked to make their tea  was such a contentious topic for discussion.

I don't really understand this tread. It started with the OP criticising others for using too many teabags and continued in the same vein. Here's an idea: Why don't people just carry on making cups or pots of tea exactly the way they like without the need to tell everyone that previous suggestions are wrong and what they like is better? There are thousands of different ways of making tea and we all like different things don't we?

It might end in a slightly more interesting, more punchy,  less repetitious forum which might stick to the point without generating many tangents on the way. 😊

A forlorn hope, I suppose.

Howard

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Good God, if there is not enough rm for this discussion, it will end in death of forum.

I buy teabags cos I'm not fussy. Generally Tetley 240 when half price.

In the past I've had loose leaf.

I buy my Early Grey loose but I think it needs a nice teapot. Iv've seen small glass ones with a sort of funnel. Are they any good?

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Good God, if there is not enough rm for this discussion, it will end in death of forum.

Tetley buy the factory floor sweepings from Taylors, PG and Typhoo tea etc. and put that in their tea bags.

Just so you know.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Sainsburys loose tea for me, please. We don't often shop at Sainsburys but their tea is better than Asda or Morrisons.

I also like Aldi Gold teabags-- even better than Yorkshire Tea, and cheaper.

I haven't found any strainer which is capable of catching the fine leaves.  They are as small as the "fannings" used in teabags.

One reason we don't use teabags is Mrs J was once talking to a Tea Taster by trade and said "my husband says Teabags are the sweepings of the factory floor", his reply was "He could be further wrong" (translated from Cumbria it means he isn't very wrong).

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

In the past I've had loose leaf.

I buy my Early Grey loose but I think it needs a nice teapot. Iv've seen small glass ones with a sort of funnel. Are they any good?

If you mean those as sold by Ikea with a tube in the centre which holds the leaves, that is what we use.   Personally I like it.

RIKLIG Teapot, glass, 0.6 l

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I haven't found any strainer which is capable of catching the fine leaves.  They are as small as the "fannings" used in teabags.

One reason we don't use teabags is Mrs J was once talking to a Tea Taster by trade and said "my husband says Teabags are the sweepings of the factory floor", his reply was "He could be further wrong" (translated from Cumbria it means he isn't very wrong).

If you mean those as sold by Ikea with a tube in the centre which holds the leaves, that is what we use.   Personally I like it.

RIKLIG Teapot, glass, 0.6 l

I have one very similar for when I use my Tea pigs, works very well.

3 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

We have 3 tins of : Assam, Darjeeling and English Breakfast Tea and we decide what blend we want depending on how we feel. Lovely soft water around here, and of course we use a Picquot Ware teapot.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Perhaps that's because the water dahn sarf is so disgusting? When I used to travel a lot for business, I would always drink coffee when south of Birmingham, because the tea was so disgusting. 

In Manchester and West Yorkshire (and some other places, including most of Scotland) the water is really soft. 

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

My daughter uses one of they. It seems to work very well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2022 at 10:55, XLD said:

I can't believe how many people use a tea bag in a mug. We use a teapot and get 4 mugs of strong tea from one tea bag (Yorkshire Tea). What a waste of money!

I guess that depends on your definition of strong tea. 
My work colleagues would have you believe that a strong brew is anything that slightly taints milk. 🤢

• 4 months later...

1, get the biggest glass jar available, that you can hold in your hand. (pickles or sauerkraut jars are good)

2. wash the jar thoroughly.

3. fill the jar two thirds full with the cleanest water possible, then tip that water into your kettle for boiling.

4. get the best quality tea bag you can afford (stronger the better I think)

5. dip the corner of the tea bag lightly into the top of a jar of pure raw honey, then drop it in the jar

6. pour on the nearly boiling water and stir well.

7. walk away and leave it alone for at least 3 minutes.

8. add your choice of milk until the colour looks right.

9.  top up with cold water to cool it a little.

10. remove the tea bag (or leave it in for a while if you like)

don't drink it all in one go....   savour the tea experience.

that, in my opinion, is the correct way to use a tea bag.

I find my cafetiere makes a good pot of tea for one person, it needs to be free of coffee of course, I use it for loose leaf Earl Grey. There is no doubt that loose leaf tea has a better aroma than from teabag tea.