1 teabag = 4 STRONG mugs of tea

XLD

Featured Posts

This is one of the reason I went back to loose leaf tea. You can measure the portion you need for the size/number of mugs/cups to be made. Also, tea bags are not biodegradeable in any reasonable time frame. You can get tea strainers that have a fine enough mesh that you don't get a mouthful of tea leave on the last sip.

Drinking Yorkshire tea helps support the many tea plantations in the hills around Harrogate. 😀

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, XLD said:

I can't believe how many people use a tea bag in a mug. We use a teapot and get 4 mugs of strong tea from one tea bag (Yorkshire Tea). What a waste of money!

Some people don't use Y Tea because they at are non compostable.

When I gave a talk on cost cutting, to those on minimal income, i mentioned tea bag extension , it is valid, but two mugs only.

Iblockquote widget

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This is one of the reason I went back to loose leaf tea. You can measure the portion you need for the size/number of mugs/cups to be made.

One teaspoonful per person and one for the pot, I was taught as a boy. I never became a tea drinker but I made tea for parents for many years using that formula, and rarely had any complaints. Ty-Phoo was their favourite.

3 hours ago, XLD said:

I can't believe how many people use a tea bag in a mug. We use a teapot and get 4 mugs of strong tea from one tea bag (Yorkshire Tea). What a waste of money!

Not nesser-celery. I make Mrs. Athy's morning tea using a teabag in the mug. She has just the one, so boiling enough water to fill a teapot would be a waste of money

...except that she then progresses to coffee, so I do boil enough water o fill a teapot but, having made her mug of tea, I then pour the rest of the water into a Thermos flask which she can use to make cups of coffee later in the day. That's an economical way of doing things.

Your version of strong tea and my wife's version of strong tea are miles apart.

The colour of her tea has to be dark brown not wishy washy khaki 🤭

She often uses two teabags per mug 😱

There is also a standard amount of milk to add and that is a one pint milk container capful  no more no less.

I let her make her own tea it's easier 🤔

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Your version of strong tea and my wife's version of strong tea are miles apart.

The colour of her tea has to be dark brown not wishy washy khaki 🤭

She often uses two teabags per mug 😱

There is also a standard amount of milk to add and that is a one pint milk container capful  no more no less.

I let her make her own tea it's easier 🤔

Spot on, weak tea is kerapp. Like gin and tonic, a small mixer does me for three double gins, its called gin and tonic not tonic with a dash of gin 😃

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Spot on, weak tea is kerapp. Like gin and tonic, a small mixer does me for three double gins, its called gin and tonic not tonic with a dash of gin 😃

This reminds me of when I lived in S.W. France and used to drink Ricard as an aperitif. The recommended mixture was, I think, three measures of water to one of Ricard, but the locals used to reverse those quantities, and rather pleasingly they called the resulting very potent mixture "un flan".

4 hours ago, XLD said:

That's going some. I used to get about three and a half, before complaints about lighthouse tea started. Was using the cheapest locally available tea bags, though, so might have been able to spin Yorkshire ones out a bit more, I guess. 

39 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

That's going some. I used to get about three and a half, before complaints about lighthouse tea started. 

I'm sure that expression will become clear once someone's explained it. Could you, please?

Tea in France. About eight of us on a cycling trip years ago pulled up at a wayside cafe exhausted and did we fancy a nice cup of tea, sitting outside at a table we ordered it. Out came a couple of pots of hot water which the waiter poured into our cups, then from out of his pocket produced a teabag on a string whch he dangled for a second or two in each cup and scuttled away with his teabag. It was dreadful. Bloomin coffee is not a thirst quencher which they try to serve folk. 

7 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This is one of the reason I went back to loose leaf tea. You can measure the portion you need for the size/number of mugs/cups to be made. Also, tea bags are not biodegradeable in any reasonable time frame. You can get tea strainers that have a fine enough mesh that you don't get a mouthful of tea leave on the last sip.

Drinking Yorkshire tea helps support the many tea plantations in the hills around Harrogate. 😀

This is why we use leaf tea.  Also if you are the type of tea drinker who doesn't rely on tannin for taste there are many wonderful flavours out there.

well there's teabags and teabags. At the gliding club we provide el cheapo bulk tea bags which are dirt cheap. Just about enough to make a mug if you are lucky. In the caravan I do have some Twinings Assam tea bags for emergencies, you can get at least 2 decent mugs of tea from them AND they do actually have some taste. But of course for most of the time in house or boat we have our "own blend" of loose leaf assam and loose leaf Earl Grey mixed up in a caddy, and make a proper pot.

In fact I just got a bulk order of twinings loose leaf tea as they were advertising 25% off and free delivery. We now have enough to last at least a year!

Edited by nicknorman

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

@XLD Four cups out of one bag, sounds like witches p*ss :( 

Do you put the milk in first as well? :D 

Totally agree. I drink Yorkshire loose tea made in a proper stylish Denby teapot. And I can just about manage a week on a 250g bag of it. 

Oi, I put the milk in first!! 

My old man told me that when he was in the RAF in WW2 they used to boil the water in a large can, chuck a handful of tea in and leave it boiling for hours. 

They used to pour about an inch into a mug and top up with hot water, like cordial.

He used to do similar at home, and I tried it once.

It was absolutely horrible!

12 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

My old man told me that when he was in the RAF in WW2 they used to boil the water in a large can, chuck a handful of tea in and leave it boiling for hours. 

They used to pour about an inch into a mug and top up with hot water, like cordial.

The wife of a friend of mine makes a large pot of tea, pours her cup and then places the pot (metal) over a gas pilot light (or did when cookers had pilot lights rather than electric ignition) leaving it there all day and pouring cups as she wanted one.

20 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Not far short of my dad. First up in the morning he used make his tea by boiling an aluminium tea pot with loose tea in it. (nothing else available in those days). The plastic? handle often caught fire and the pong was terrible. Mum used to go mad but with no effect . Dad was in the desert in the Royal Engineers . 

11 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

loose tea is expensive... but then I drink normal tetley so probably every other tea is pricier.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

The wife of a friend of mine makes a large pot of tea, pours her cup and then places the pot (metal) over a gas pilot light (or did when cookers had pilot lights rather than electric ignition) leaving it there all day and pouring cups as she wanted one.

When I was about 14 I had a holiday job as a gardener's boy at a local country house. The head gardener would brew up a pot of tea for the team complete with condensed milk and lots of sugar. It was absolutely disgusting.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

loose tea is expensive... but then I drink normal tetley so probably every other tea is pricier.

Sainsburys loose tea for me, please. We don't often shop at Sainsburys but their tea is better than Asda or Morrisons.

I also like Aldi Gold teabags-- even better than Yorkshire Tea, and cheaper.

22 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

We have 3 tins of : Assam, Darjeeling and English Breakfast Tea and we decide what blend we want depending on how we feel. Lovely soft water around here, and of course we use a Picquot Ware teapot.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1