Is this an oil pipe packing washer?

Lee Crook

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Have now removed the crankshaft and cam shaft from the ST2. When draining off the last of the oil (sludge!) I found a small rubber spacer. When I checked the valve support body there was already a spacer in there, so I can only conclude that:

A. There is more than one of these in the complete engine - but according to the parts manual there is just one.

B. It was dropped during an engine service.

C. It was dropped when the engine was built and has been there ever since.

20221219_212102.jpg.14e6cc0402d4123f9d36a23df67893f1.jpg20221219_212125.jpg.eed09a16ac4c705d8ca4deb153f6c52d.jpg20221219_210137.jpg.071f24a13bcdb50c4561cff4c178a1d8.jpg

The last image shows the two spacers stacked one on the other.

Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Lee Crook

There should only be one of these used in the pipe fitting. It is basically doing the same job as an olive. The pipe is pushed through the threaded fitting, the rubber seal is slid onto the pipe then everything is assembled into the fitting.

6 hours ago, Steve56 said:

There should only be one of these used in the pipe fitting. It is basically doing the same job as an olive. The pipe is pushed through the threaded fitting, the rubber seal is slid onto the pipe then everything is assembled into the fitting.

Great, thanks.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

As the internal pipes on these engines need occasional annealing and have likely been removed and refitted several time it is likely it has been dropped in one one such occasion.

Fell asleep posting this.  Is this on a fuel pipe or a lubricating oil pipe?

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Fell asleep posting this.  Is this on a fuel pipe or a lubricating oil pipe?

The one I removed was on the connection from the oil pump to the lubricating oil pipe (part no. 8 on the drawing) and you can see the shape it was compressed into when forming the seal. The one that looks new/unused was in the oil sump and I found it when scraping/scooping out the last of the oil dregs.

14 minutes ago, Lee Crook said:

The one I removed was on the connection from the oil pump to the lubricating oil pipe (part no. 8 on the drawing) and you can see the shape it was compressed into when forming the seal. The one that looks new/unused was in the oil sump and I found it when scraping/scooping out the last of the oil dregs.

They are the small bore oil pipes which feed the rocker bushes.