Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

No that's the £200 (which was £100 but they doubled it).

The £400 being discussed is the equivalent of the £66/67 per month off standard domestic electricity contracts but for "households" that don't have a direct contract with a domestic electricity supplier.

Oh I see. Thanks.

So why are boaters not agitating to get the £200 too?

14 minutes ago, MartynG said:

From my perspective that is exactly what is happening . The money is not paid to me it is paid to the energy provider  who then shows it as  a payment towards my energy bill.

Which makes sense as otherwise it could / would be spent on drugs / fags / booze / loose wimmin and then the recipients will claim they have no money to heat the house.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Which makes sense as otherwise it could / would be spent on drugs / fags / booze / loose wimmin and then the recipients will claim they have no money to heat the house.

I gave up the fags in September 2013 . 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Is there a logical reason why anyone should get anything?

Far better and more cost effective to just bung a couple of £bn directly to the energy companies to subsidise the cost of energy.

But this provides less scope for political showboating.

The energy companies are already making record profits.  Subsidising them out of tax payers money would not get my vote.

Here's a radical idea:  Why not nationalise the energy industry?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Oh I see. Thanks.

So why are boaters not agitating to get the £200 too?

I think it's just less well known - the £400 has been the quoted figure from quite early on in the general media, the extra bit hasn't been publicised as much. 

17 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You're clearly too young to remember what it was like pre-privatisation. 

Like democracy, privatisation was a terrible solution, but all the others were worse. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Folks who have a second home receive the £400 twice .

Is that really true?

There is no record of which CCers are liveaboard or not, where or how should this be determined?

Self declaration. Easy enough to prove, should proof be required.

What difference does it  make if the boat is licensed  as a CC'er or not? What difference does it make if the boat is full time live aboard or part time liveaboard ? What difference does it make if the boat is a holiday home (just like a second home).

The boat still uses energy when it is in use  which is in part for domestic purposes (assuming the boat has living accommodation)

Folks who have a second home receive the £400 twice . So should that not apply to boats (with accommodation space)  being the floating equivalent  to a  second home ?

Or is that all too complicated and boats should be excluded ?

how about touring caravans? Tents?

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Self declaration. Easy enough to prove, should proof be required.

How would this be done? It would need to be rigorous enough to counter fraudulent claims, while at the same time east enough to audit/administer 

43 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The energy companies are already making record profits.  Subsidising them out of tax payers money would not get my vote.

Ain’t that why they’ll never be nationalised? It’s never about the good of the people and what serves us best, it’s about money and shareholders.

plus we don’t produce anything like we used to, but instead import oil, gas and coal

...and then somehow manage to export to France 🤷‍♀️

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ain’t that why they’ll never be nationalised? It’s never about the good of the people and what serves us best, it’s about money and shareholders.

plus we don’t produce anything like we used to, but instead import oil, gas and coal

...and then somehow manage to export to France 🤷‍♀️

It'll be nationalised if we vote in a government who wants to nationalise it.  Many people seem to forget who actually has power in this country.  It's just a case of getting together and exercising that power.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

How would this be done? It would need to be rigorous enough to counter fraudulent claims, while at the same time east enough to audit/administer

I agree and I don’t know the answer, it’s a problem for the bureaucrats to work out.

But to ignore the problem and the payments because of the chances of fraudulent claims I think is the wrong answer when there are folks in need of a little help.

Im sure they’ve come up with some solution. We shall see in January when the online forms appear.

We all have national insurance numbers? And tax codes? that identify us, couldn’t they be used as a record? 🤷‍♀️

Isn’t that why the discounts on an electricity bill work, easy to administer and less chance of fraudulent claims.

It also assures any ‘payment’ goes towards the energy bills, as mentioned earlier, if they give out cash, will I spend it on coal, diesel and gas? or go down the boozer?

58 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

It'll be nationalised if we vote in a government who wants to nationalise it.  Many people seem to forget who actually has power in this country.  It's just a case of getting together and exercising that power.

Quite so. 

Just as the politicians in power now ar too young to have experienced rampant inflation personally (until this last few months) so had no fear of it, the next government I suspect WILL nationalise energy and probably the railways. As similarly they are all too young to really understand what an utter sh!tshow the nationalised industries really were back in the 60s and 70s. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Paul C said:

I don’t think it adds confusion, it’s simply that if a property or home is already registered for council tax ( and that includes eg student houses, which are registered but claim a valid exemption) it makes it administratively very workable to ensure the £400 assistance gets applied without an enormous admin exercise or fraud exposure.

But it is happening already, has been for a few months. It isn't being administered by the local councils. Every one of the millions of households with an electricity account is already getting a £66/67 discount off their electricity bill every month. No need to involve council tax or the local authority at all.

The problem is the less than 1 million households that don't have a relationship with an energy company like boaters in a marina, caravaners in a caravan park, people living off the electricity grid etc.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But that is discriminatory to those illegal immigrants who have thrown away their ID, gypsies etc etc.

The illegal immigrants are incarcerated where they have no bills to pay and are possibly waiting to be flown to a warmer climate.

So that’s that one solved 👍

Edited by Goliath

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Quite so. 

Just as the politicians in power now ar too young to have experienced rampant inflation personally (until this last few months) so had no fear of it, the next government I suspect WILL nationalise energy and probably the railways. As similarly they are all too young to really understand what an utter sh!tshow the nationalised industries really were back in the 60s and 70s. 

History doesn't have to repeat itself, I am sure it would be possible to make it work, IIRC there are many transport systems worldwide which are nationalised e.g.  Deutsche Bahn.

Yes I am old enough to remember the 60s and 70s.

17 hours ago, MtB said:

Quite so. 

Probably better to model any future nationalised industries on our European neighbours then, who seem to have done it rather successfully at times.

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Probably better to model any future nationalised industries on our European neighbours then, who seem to have done it rather successfully at times.

Have they really? What are the differences then? How do the Europes do it better?

French electric is an utter sh!tshow according to the news here from time to time. Same with Germany where they keep shutting down nuclear just when they need it most. In what way is that doing it successfully?

Granted the German trains work better but I put that down to the nature of the people rather than the commercial model they operate under.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

They won't have power for very long @doratheexplorer  but the other lot are keeping their powder dry. To be honest once things have been fragmented it's both difficult and expensive to stick it all together ask Humpty Dumpty.