Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Your perspective is to be honest frankly worthless to somebody who is struggling to pay for 

The post wasn't about helping someone in that situation. Why do you seem to be suggesting it might have been? 

I've not seen much focused information on this forum that would be worth much for someone struggling to get by. Perhaps a signposting section on rights, pension/benefits advice, gp services, benefits, housing benefit,  voting etc.  might be useful.

19 minutes ago, Ianws said:

The post wasn't about helping someone in that situation. Why do you seem to be suggesting it might have been? 

I've not seen much focused information on this forum that would be worth much for someone struggling to get by. Perhaps a signposting section on rights, pension/benefits advice, gp services, benefits, housing benefit,  voting etc.  might be useful.

Classic obfuscation. Well done.

On 26/02/2023 at 01:20, Ianws said:

Thanks.

Are you doing anything to help? 

I do in my other life off this fo⁷rum.

Missed this question because you sneakily didn't quote me when you asked.

It's difficult for me to specifically help boaters because we live so far away from any waterways that has live aboards.

But I do voluntary work to help the local community yes, if that is what you mean.

I had a letter about it from my local MP Andrew Lewer Northampton South. 

I am deeply concerned that the Energy Bill Support still does not cover a non-permanent caravan or mobile home site such as Billing Aquadrome.

I know that the availability for these discounts such properties are “currently under review” and therefore I am making representations to the Department for Energy Security with the following Written Parliamentary Question:

“Can the Secretary of State for Business and Trade provide clarity, both in terms of scope and timescale, around her Department's review into the exclusion from the Energy Bill Support Scheme of those occupying non-permanent park home sites, considering in particular that many are economically vulnerable and primarily reside there

Isn't that the whole question. How can a continuous cruiser apply for this payment if they have a land address? 

It seems suspiciously like an unsolvable problem. 

Apparently if one is NFA one can use the job centre as an address for benefits claims but one imagines, cynically, that most continuous cruisers are far from NFA

So far, they've used postcode to identify a house/household and prevent double claims etc (together with 1st line of address, when a postcode is shared amongst many houses).

CCers......don't have a postcode. They might have a correspondence address but obviously that doesn't accurately define the location of where they reside. I doubt there's a clear pattern for what the postcodes are - some will be family members (who probably have already received a payment for their house), others boatmail, others local PO or job centre or whatever. No real pattern.

I hate to point the obvious but they're not going to re-invent the entire claiming system just for CCers. I don't know how much would be relevant for non-permanent caravan parks etc -  but since they have a defined location, they may have a single postcode and be able to fit the existing scheme.

11 hours ago, magnetman said:

One imagines people on here are comfortably off and responsible citizens who recognise that they do not require financial assistance of this type at this time. 

Anyone who pays an electricity bill direct to the provider will already have received the £400 subsidy. Its not means tested .

Everyone  will have to pay it back one  way or another .

I think people should claim it if they are  eligible to do so.

There was an article in today's print Observer titled "Left out in the cold: the boaters locked out of fuel support" which hasn't appeared online...

It's mainly about boats in Hebden Bridge complaining about not getting the fuel allowance because they don't have a fixed address, and not unexpectedly there's a quote from the NBTA -- all fine so far, boaters get cold too.

It seems that everyone referred to is theoretically a CCer (which is mentioned throughout the article), but it also seems none of them move much if at all -- "moored just outside Hebden Bridge town centre", "lives on a small boat in the town centre", "lives on a boat moored just outside Hebden Bridge" to quote from three boaters mentioned.

Not paying for a mooring or council tax can buy an *awful* lot of fuel, they're still *far* better off than boaters who pay for moorings/CT and get the fuel allowance, but it seems they want the best of *all* worlds -- not moving, not paying for a mooring or council tax, *and* getting fuel allowance as well.

Yes I know they'd have the same fuel cost problem (and pay no mooring fees or council tax) if they were legitimately moving around according to the CC rules (which were devised for truly "itinerant boaters", not the NBTA definition) -- but they're not... 😞

32 minutes ago, IanD said:

Not paying for a mooring or council tax can buy an *awful* lot of fuel, they're still *far* better off than boaters who pay for moorings/CT and get the fuel allowance, but it seems they want the best of *all* worlds -- not moving, not paying for a mooring or council tax, *and* getting fuel allowance as well.

Yes I know they'd have the same fuel cost problem (and pay no mooring fees or council tax) if they were legitimately moving around according to the CC rules (which were devised for truly "itinerant boaters", not the NBTA definition) -- but they're not... 😞

I have to agree, I could buy a few years supply of fuel for heating for what I payout for moorings and council tax each year.

• Greenie 1

The £400 should have been paid to you by your electricity supplier in six chunks (of £66 or £67) between October 22 and March 23.  I'm not sure but I  think some suppliers credited customer electricity accounts but others paid to their bank accounts.  

• Greenie 2

51 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Oh, I get a mention here, though I see I'm binary, lol, might be a Hebden Bridge thing, lol

5 minutes ago, Ianws said:

@LadyG is that you quoted in the article?

Indeed it was :)

PS I'm only seventy six!

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2