Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Here it is again:

https://online.apply-for-energy-bill-alternative-funds.service.gov.uk/s/#where-do-you-live

As predicted in reams of earlier posts, if you follow the questions you end up having to have to have a postcode to qualify.

How do cc ers get their post without having an address? 

I know it can be feasible to be full NFA and get no post at all but that is a very unusual situation. 

A filter must be included to avoid people who have boats and houses doing double claims. It seems obvious. 

Will services like Boatmail end up with dozens of claims? 

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

How do cc ers get their post without having an address? 

I know it can be feasible to be full NFA and get no post at all but that is a very unusual situation. 

A filter must be included to avoid people who have boats and houses doing double claims. It seems obvious. 

Will services like Boatmail end up with dozens of claims? 

My prediction is entering the Boatmail postcode (or almost any care-of postcode) will result in rejection of the claim, if that address either already gets a grant, or is excluded for being a business address. 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

When was that dated ?

I went onto the Government website today and "computer say NO" to anyone without a residential mooring.

Not certain, nothing on the page to say when. I think it was in the last few days though, wasn't there the last time I checked.

It seems rather obvious to me that something like this would be related to an address of some sort. Without that requirement how would it be possible to avoid multiple claims unless you interviewed people in person and checked ID? 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It seems rather obvious to me that something like this would be related to an address of some sort. Without that requirement how would it be possible to avoid multiple claims unless you interviewed people in person and checked ID? 

I think that point might already have been discussed here 🤔

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, JemShaun said:

I personally feel that if you need the pennies from the government to survive, the you are in a serious place that isnt right for you. Canal boat life isnt for the cheap livers, as you are all now experiencing 😄 

Have handed your rebate back?

31 minutes ago, MtB said:

Boaters shouldn't need it, having not been subjected to a three-fold hike in fuel bills like us on the bank! 

shouldn’t is the right word, but some do need it

and if you on the bank are living beyond your needs and are struggling to cope with your bills

I won’t begrudge you a hand out to keep you afloat 👍

Edited by Goliath
Afloat as in afloat not afloat as in a boat afloat

25 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Cobblers our bills have gone up as well!

I get everyone's bills have gone up,  smokeless seems about double the cost it was. However if gas and electric for homeowners was only double what it was previously I doubt any government help would be offered. As it is, with the government price guarantee at an average of £2500 less the £400 from the government that's still an average of £2100 per year. That's approx twice the previous average, so in line with smokeless increases. 

And it looks like the min average will go to £3000 from March with no further handouts. Hopefully dropping in Summer as wholesale prices fall. 

I don't begrudge anybody support, especially if they are struggling. Just trying to put some perspective on it. 

Edited by Ianws

55 minutes ago, MtB said:

Boaters shouldn't need it, having not been subjected to a three-fold hike in fuel bills like us on the bank! 

Sorry Mike, complete daft response.

Last year decent smokeless £12.50 a bag, this year £20.

Gas, last year £28, this year £49

Diesel last winter 80ppl, a month ago 1.40ppl

No recourse to get any subsidy payment, no recourse to get any money back.

• Greenie 3

Just now, matty40s said:

Sorry Mike, complete daft response.

Last year decent smokeless £12.50 a bag, this year £20.

Gas, last year £28, this year £49

Diesel last winter 80ppl, a month ago 1.40ppl

No recourse to get any subsidy payment, no recourse to get any money back.

Less than 100% increase. 

You have it GOOD!!

32 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Cobblers our bills have gone up as well!

Mr Boiler obviously hasn't bought smokeless or wood recently. The price of ours has increased considerably.

Maybe he knows somewhere boaters can get it at the same price as a year ago?

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Less than 100% increase. 

You have it GOOD!!

Have you ever sat down and read some of your posts on here and realise why you are often considered a complete idiot?

54 minutes ago, MtB said:

Many boaters with shorelines have seen a far higher increase in Unit rates for electrc as their unit rate is not protected by the 'Energy Price Guarantee' which protects domestic customers accounts from increases in energy costs by limiting the amount suppliers can charge per unit of energy used (Currently 34p per KW). Some places are charging nearly 65p per unit for shorelines. The price of coal has rocketed, last spring, the local price for 25Kg sack of Burnwell was £8.50. The price now is £19.50 per 25kg, The price of gas bottles has also gone up, plus this winter they have been in short supply. The price of Diesel even now is still around £1.75. I'm only on the boat three nights a week for 42 weeks of the year, the rest of the time I'm at home in Dorset. Yet my fixed costs for the boat are higher than for my house. Licence, Mooring fees and Council tax on the mooring, I'm also paying a higher rate for electrc for the boat than I'am for my home.      

3 minutes ago, Ianws said:

@matty40s @M_JG did you see my comment about 20 minutes ago. Even with  a govt tariff max and £400 handout the household gas and electric costs on average have at least doubled. Gas, smokeless and diesel have gone up massively but not quite doubled. Who's worse off, relative to previous years?

Its not a competition about who is 'worse off' is it?

2 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Many boaters with shorelines have seen a far higher increase in Unit rates for electrc as their unit rate is not protected by the 'Energy Price Guarantee' which protects domestic customers accounts from increases in energy costs by limiting the amount suppliers can charge per unit of energy used (Currently 34p per KW). Some places are charging nearly 65p per unit for shorelines. The price of coal has rocketed, last spring, the local price for 25Kg sack of Burnwell was £8.50. The price now is £19.50 per 25kg, The price of gas bottles has also gone up, plus this winter they have been in short supply. The price of Diesel even now is still around £1.75. I'm only on the boat three nights a week for 42 weeks of the year, the rest of the time I'm at home in Dorset. Yet my fixed costs for the boat are higher than for my house. Licence, Mooring fees and Council tax on the mooring, I'm also paying a higher rate for electrc for the boat than I'am for my home.      

Following in from my previous comments, I accept that the electric charges for many people on shorelines has gone through the roof and this definitely needs addressing, particularly for people living aboard, either residential or under the radar. 65p per unit is approx twice what a domestic household would be paying, even at the current high rates. 

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Its not a competition about who is 'worse off' is it?

No. As I said in  previous post - 

I don't begrudge anybody support, especially if they are struggling. Just trying to put some perspective on it. 

My anthracite has more than doubled, luckily electric hasn't but only because Dave fixed it at a good commercial rate, which is probably more than 34 pence a kw which you are paying. 

I don't have Gas but its doubled and its already more expensive than house gas, diesel was more than double at one point, remember plenty use gas and diesel for heating. 

For people making electric and hot water by running engines it's got to hurt.

Now moorings in Sheffield have gone up 43% 4-5k a year? And now licence costs could double? So I suspect plenty of boaters are feeling the pinch 

23 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I don't begrudge anybody support, especially if they are struggling. Just trying to put some perspective on it. 

Your perspective is to be honest frankly worthless to somebody who is struggling to pay for their energy.