Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

On 19/12/2022 at 19:14, David Mack said:

….and true off gridders, such as CCing boaters, who don't have a land based electricity supply at all.

“To clarify our previous statement, it remains unclear whether boaters without a home mooring are to be included in the EBSS-AF.” NBTA latest. 

oh dear, perhaps not looking so good. 

We remain in live discussions with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) to clarify their position and how it will be assessed after BEIS requested our input in early December. With the involvement of boaters and supporters across the country, we are attempting to steer the government towards a £400 payment that truly includes all off-grid households, including itinerant boaters, and that this is made available as soon as possible.NBTA latest. (Highlighting in bold is my doing)

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, MtB said:

Ok, so them losing the case seems reasonable to me. 

The law does not require the homeowner to be the one on the council tax bill

Whose name should be on council tax bill?

Usually one person, called the liable person, is liable to pay council tax. Nobody under the age of 18 can be a liable person. A man and woman living together will both be liable or a family group all over 18 , even if there is only one name on the bill.

If you recall in 2020 and early 2021, Civil court cases were held in close session. You could not even attend court. The added problem here was the long delays in replys (12-14 weeks) from ARP and the fact that ARP sent all letters to the marina which were returned to sender. The mistake they made was to stop paying council tax in the lockdown when the marina was closed and not wait for a reply from ARP first.

Edited by nbfiresprite

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

The law does not require the homeowner to be the one on the bill

Correct

Its the electricity bill payer who receives the benefit of the  subsidy. And that may be a tenant for example 

30 minutes ago, Goliath said:

“To clarify our previous statement, it remains unclear whether boaters without a home mooring are to be included in the EBSS-AF.” NBTA latest. 

We remain in live discussions with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) to clarify their position and how it will be assessed after BEIS requested our input in early December. With the involvement of boaters and supporters across the country, we are attempting to steer the government towards a £400 payment that truly includes all off-grid households, including itinerant boaters, and that this is made available as soon as possible.NBTA latest. (Highlighting in bold is my doing)

Blew their own trumpet to early again.

6 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

The law does not require the homeowner to be the one on the bill

Whose name should be on council tax bill?

Usually one person, called the liable person, is liable to pay council tax. Nobody under the age of 18 can be a liable person. A man and woman living together will both be liable or a family group all over 18 , even if there is only one name on the bill.

If you recall in 2020 and early 2021, Civil court cases were held in close session. You could not even attend court. The added problem here was the long delays in replys (12-14 weeks) from ARP and the fact that ARP sent all letters to the marina which were returned to sender. The mistake they made was to stop paying council tax in the lockdown when the marina was closed and not wait for a reply from ARP first.

yes that’s how I understand it to work, one person is liable for the bill, for it’s a property tax not a ‘person’ or ‘individual occupier tax’ (Ain’t that what the Poll tax was?)

but the last bit I don’t understand, it implies they were paying council tax but because they stayed somewhere else through lockdown they reckoned they didn’t have to pay?

3 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Blew their own trumpet to early again.

Also their *own* trumpet, claiming all the credit while carefully ignoring all the other organisations doing exactly what they were doing but making less of a song and dance about it -- "We are attempting to steer the government..."

"To clarify our previous statement" is  weasel words for "We were economical with the truth in our last press release".

Edited by IanD

37 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It looks as if someone in the NBTA is reading this forum and doing a bit of back peddaling.

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

yes that’s how I understand it to work, one person is liable for the bill, for it’s a property tax not a ‘person’ or ‘individual occupier tax’ (Ain’t that what the Poll tax was?)

but the last bit I don’t understand, it implies they were paying council tax but because they stayed somewhere else through lockdown they reckoned they didn’t have to pay?

The problem here was that as the marina was in lockdown, nobody was allowed in to the marina. They could not stay and went home. When the law states 'You must not stay overnight on any boat, unless it’s your primary residence' in lockdown.  In this case they should not have been charge council tax as it is one of the exemptions listed 

Edited by nbfiresprite

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It looks as if someone in the NBTA is reading this forum and doing a bit of back peddaling.

is it really back peddling?

or just keeping people informed?

I could have said nowt. 

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

The problem here was that as the marina was in lockdown, nobody was allowed in to the marina. They could not stay and went home. When the law states 'You must not stay overnight on any boat, unless it’s your primary residence' in lockdown.  In this case they should not have been charge council tax it is one of the exemptions listed 

I don’t know 🤷‍♀️ 

Just trying to understand. 

It’s all murky to me. But sounds like they got a duff deal. 

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I could have said nowt. 

I don’t know 🤷‍♀️ 

Just trying to understand. 

It’s all murky to me. But sounds like they got a duff deal. 

It was a duff deal for them, ARP are a law into themselves.  

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I could have said nowt. 

You could easily have said 'nowt' ........ and I thank you for your honesty.

The NBTA does have 'previous' in this sort of thing, they do some good work, but tend to let their mouth run away with them and claim they have achieved things that they have not.

Other groups are also working in the background and happy to let the likes of the Governement make the announcements, you don't need to big-up your involvement and successes and then have to say "oooops someone changed their mind after we thought we had an agreement".

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You could easily have said 'nowt' ........ and I thank you for your honesty.

The NBTA does have 'previous' in this sort of thing, they do some good work, but tend to let their mouth run away with them and claim they have achieved things that they have not.

Other groups are also working in the background and happy to let the likes of the Governement make the announcements, you don't need to big-up your involvement and successes and then have to say "oooops someone changed their mind after we thought we had an agreement".

but we do need pressure groups out there bragging their achievements. 

the government needs thorns in its side and the thorns need to keep jabbing away publicly

And I like NBTA for this reason, they are out there, they are a pressure group unafraid to protest

Have they shot their load too early?..sounds like it but let’s see what happens next week. 

The British public don't like braggarts, it tends to put them off a person or group and find them to be annoying,

From my old CED

Bragger

Someone who brags, they talking arrogantly or boastfully. They often exaggerating their talents and accomplishments, or speaking poorly about others in an effort to make yourselves look better than others

I'm off to a funeral in tomorrow of lad I went through school with, who died last week alone in a unheated flat from the cold, he had been waiting weeks for the landlord to fix the heating.  As he has no family left alive, members of the class of 83 have club together to pay for the funeral and attend. One of the people I'm seeing tomorrow is one of the senior staff in the account payments department at County Hall. So I should get some info on how the rebate will be processed by the council.

• Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

And the landlord should be taken to court 

The landlord is a very nasty price of work who has been getting away with it for years. He well in with local councillors. He been investegated before by Channel 4’s Dispatches and others who have produced a dammning reports of  broken windows, rats, cockroaches, damp, dirt and leaking toilets in his 2700 plus properties in Bourthmouth and Boscombe. He exploits the spiralling demand for housing and the money to be made from tenants’ housing benefit. His tenants live in fear, not one tenant has been prepared to speakout in court in the [ast 40 years, yet many have died in his properties.

15 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

The landlord is a very nasty price of work who has been getting away with it for years. He well in with local councillors. He been investegated before by Channel 4’s Dispatches and others who have produced a dammning reports of  broken windows, rats, cockroaches, damp, dirt and leaking toilets in his 2700 plus properties in Bourthmouth and Boscombe. He exploits the spiralling demand for housing and the money to be made from tenants’ housing benefit. His tenants live in fear, not one tenant has been prepared to speakout in court in the [ast 40 years, yet many have died in his properties.

Point of Order. 

Rats and cockroaches are generally the responsibility of the occupier and their living habits. When owner-occupiers get rats and cockroaches they don't generally blame the building, so why with a rental should a landlord who owns the property be considered responsible?

Further, there is nothing stopping a tenant with rats and cockroaches giving notice to quit and moving to a cleaner property.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Point of Order. 

Rats and cockroaches are generally the responsibility of the occupier and their living habits. When owner-occupiers get rats and cockroaches they don't generally blame the building, so why with a rental should a landlord who owns the property be considered responsible?

Further, there is nothing stopping a tenant with rats and cockroaches giving notice to quit and moving to a cleaner property.

Landlords must comply with the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018.  Pests such as rats, mice, cockroaches and pigeons pose a risk to human health and are covered by the Act.

Pests can gain entry to a property through small cracks, drains, pipes and air vents.  If you have a gap bigger than a biro pen, a mouse can fit through it.  If such gaps exist and the tenant reports a mouse problem, the responsibility will lie with the landlord.

Where a new tenant discovers an infestation of cockroaches, or bedbugs soon after moving in, it is likely they were already in existence prior to the beginning of the lease period and therefore the landlord is responsible.

This landlord has infect a monopoly of the lower end market for rented housing in the area. His properties tend to be the only ones within the price range of low paid. Many of the other landlords will not take tenants who claim housing benefit.

14 hours ago, MtB said:

Point of Order. 

Dunno much about renting property at the end low end if the market, do you?

My daughter lived with two kids in damp and mouldy flat - damp largely because there was a  leak in the pipes in the cellar to which she had no access and the landlord refused to fix. She asked him once too often and got an eviction notice.  We found her another flat, it cost around £1000 in various deposits before she could move in. Bit hard for a single parent with two small kids to find. That's what stops tenants "giving notice to quit and moving to a cleaner property." You don't seem to know much about the country you're living in. Perhaps you should find out.

• Greenie 4

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Dunno much about renting property at the end low end if the market, do you?

My daughter lived with two kids in damp and mouldy flat - damp largely because there was a  leak in the pipes in the cellar to which she had no access and the landlord refused to fix. She asked him once too often and got an eviction notice.  We found her another flat, it cost around £1000 in various deposits before she could move in. Bit hard for a single parent with two small kids to find. That's what stops tenants "giving notice to quit and moving to a cleaner property." You don't seem to know much about the country you're living in. Perhaps you should find out.

I suggest your daughter stops renting then and buys a place of her own. 

I'm sure you could lend her the deposit.