Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

One of the late Peter Ustinov's wartime  anecdotes was the wounded soldier who woke up in hospital under the care of an Australian nurse.

When he asked her "Was I brought here to die?", she replied "No, you were brought here yesterday!". 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

One of the late Peter Ustinov's wartime  anecdotes was the wounded soldier who woke up in hospital under the care of an Australian nurse.

When he asked her "Was I brought here to die?", she replied "No, you were brought here yesterday!". 

Reminds me of Noddy Holder of Slade back in the 70s being complimented on his kipper tie. 

He answered "Kipper tie? Yes please, and three sugars" ...

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a email from the Energy Bills Support Scheme, informing me that my application for the £400 rebate has been successful. On the downside the application for the £200 Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP) has been turned due to the two handwritten invoices for coal being rejected.

40 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Just had a email from the Energy Bills Support Scheme, informing me that my application for the £400 rebate has been successful. On the downside the application for the £200 Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP) has been turned due to the two handwritten invoices for coal being rejected.

I'm hearing that there appears to be no standardisation in approach to boater applications by the local councils who are charged with giving out this gov. money. Consequently some boaters are successful, some are not, with no obvious reasons as to how these outcomes are arrived at. Complaints to the BEIS or the council involved are taking weeks to be replied to.

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

So, you have an electricity supply.

And wanted even more?

Bleedin homeowners!

Jokin

I thew away my receipt for coal and logs but I could get a copy.

Bl*ddy Govt does not pay out to female Scottish asylum seekers ,  cc.

It's racist!

I know my rites.

• Happy 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2023 at 13:05, wandering snail said:

I'm hearing that there appears to be no standardisation in approach to boater applications by the local councils who are charged with giving out this gov. money. Consequently some boaters are successful, some are not, with no obvious reasons as to how these outcomes are arrived at. Complaints to the BEIS or the council involved are taking weeks to be replied to.

A rebate is not the same as a payment, how do I get a payment? I'm off grid and buy my most of my fuel from Ace Energy. Another £200 This month, but it should last me for six months.

I am in West Yorkshire at the moment, has anyone had a payment from them? 

Ty

Edited by LadyG

• 3 months later...

Narrowboats have just been mentioned on BBC Breakfast Show. They are talking about the scheme on Radio 4's Money Box show. They say there's 900,000 households eligible under the scheme, but only 150,000 were paid out, leaving 750,000 without any payment, and the scheme had an arbitrary closing date of 31st May so its now too late and there is no way to get the money. Grant Shapps has been asked for an interview but not made himself available.

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

Narrowboats have just been mentioned on BBC Breakfast Show. They are talking about the scheme on Radio 4's Money Box show. They say there's 900,000 households eligible under the scheme, but only 150,000 were paid out, leaving 750,000 without any payment, and the scheme had an arbitrary closing date of 31st May so its now too late and there is no way to get the money. Grant Shapps has been asked for an interview but not made himself available.

Yes we saw that too. My wife was at the other end of the kitchen and only heard the words 'narrow boat' and said did they just mention narrow boats?

Pleasing that her ears are still attuned to key words.

On 29/03/2023 at 12:21, nbfiresprite said:

Did you write them, lol, must try harder

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Did you write them, lol, must try harder

No I did not, Our local coal merchant uses one of the old type invoice books and hand wrote the invoice. He is one of the few people I known who is unable to use a computer.

The requirement for the invoice were

• a unique identification number
  • Pre printed Sellers name, address and contact information
  • the customer name and address
  • itemised list of fuel suppied
  • the date the fuel was collect or delivered
  • the date of the invoice
  • the amount(s) being charged
  • VAT amount if applicable
  • the total amount owed

Most of us when buying fuel from a shop or boat yard will only get a bog standard till receipt, if you get one at all.  Itemised till receipts were rejected as the customers name and address was not on it.

4 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

No I did not, Our local coal merchant uses one of the old type invoice books and hand wrote the invoice. He is one of the few people I known who is unable to use a computer.

The requirement for the invoice were

• a unique identification number
  • Pre printed Sellers name, address and contact information
  • the customer name and address
  • itemised list of fuel suppied
  • the date the fuel was collect or delivered
  • the date of the invoice
  • the amount(s) being charged
  • VAT amount if applicable
  • the total amount owed

Most of us when buying fuel from a shop or boat yard will only get a bog standard till receipt, if you get one at all.  Itemised till receipts were rejected as the customers name and address was not on it.

Interesting to note the address is required, but not a postcode.

So <Boatname>, The Wharf, <Somewhere Remote> should suffice. 

25 minutes ago, MtB said:

Interesting to note the address is required, but not a postcode.

So <Boatname>, The Wharf, <Somewhere Remote> should suffice. 

It is common to expect the address to include the postcode without the need for a  prompt.

18 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

It is common to expect the address to include the postcode without the need for a  prompt.

So still CCing boats are excluded due to them not having a postcode.