Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Yes but £400 will be a much higher percentage of your price rises compared with those of the average house dweller.  This is why I personally would support boat dwellers and other itinerants receiving the £200 off grid payment but not the full £600.

The electric thing is quite interesting. My CRT residential mooring is currently charging about 26p per unit including the standing charge. This is fixed until end of next year or something. It is a residential mooring but CRT provide commercial electricity as I understand it. Therefore they negotiate deals and are not subject to the price cap. 

Anyway there was a circular email out from Waterside Moorings (CRT) reminding people they are not allowed to connect their electric to anything other than the boat. No long wires, no connections to "sheds". Lots of callouts apparently related to problems with the electric.

I've never had any problems but it got me wondering if some people are feeding the electric to other places like adjacent houses because it is cheaper. 

What are people paying these days for electric ? 

Another thing occurred to me which is if one had cheap electric would it be possible to grid feed with it? 

There must be something going on as I have never had an email like that in 10 years of having the mooring. 

My electric is for my boat and nothing else not remotely interested in sharing it but the email piqued my interest. 

Edited by magnetman

49 minutes ago, MtB said:

25% maybe, but boaters have not had the 250% across the board rises suffered by land dwellers. 

Whilst this is true, Peter has had the foresight, and to a certain extent, the money to be able to cushion, at least some of his electricity dependency on the grid by installing solar panels and lithium based batteries?

Should he be penalised for this? Should anyone that has removed their burden from the grid be classed as a second class citizen , especially as we are ALL likely to have to pay for it in the future through higher taxes.

Should those with solar panels and batteries in their houses be offered a lesser amount.

Taking the contrary option just because I'm bored.

ETA. After all, energy companies have been paying some customers to do exactly this over the last few weeks.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Looks like boaters on official resi moorings will be able to claim, itinerant live aboards will not: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/money/new-energy-bill-help-portal-29047325

That’s been the info from post #1. It’s interesting they acknowledge the 4 trial areas and put a date - 27th Feb - on the national rollout.

2 hours ago, Puffling said:

I didn't catch all of the meeting, but  found it informative. Reports from one member on interaction with officials told of silence and unanswered emails from BEIS (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the concerned body). It's a familiar story for anyone doing campaign work.

The general impression is that the government hopes itinerant travellers will just wear themselves out petitioning to be given this grant and forget about it come the summer. Some legal challenges were suggested.

So much for the NBTA's earlier trumpeting that they'd sorted the issue for itinerant boat dwellers then!

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

28p at home (fixed until November 24)

28p in the marina (increased from 20p  last November and fixed until Dec 23)

I thought it was more than that. What is all this about a tripling if costs then? It wasn't 9p two years ago. 

I know it wasn't you who claimed this it was @MtB

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I thought it was more than that. What is all this about a tripling if costs then? It wasn't 9p two years ago. 

I know it wasn't you who claimed this it was @MtB

The media is full of it! E.G:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/11/government-extends-energy-support-from-april/

And the £3,000 price cap he keeps mentioning is is nothing of the sort. That is the typical energy bill for a typical household. If they burn lots of energy, the bill will be more than the price cap. 

How much per unit is your electric and what was it 2 yars ago? 

Alan de Enfield seems to have cheap electric. I don't work on price caps I work on price per unit / kWh.

This site has good figures. 

https://www.icaew.com/insights/viewpoints-on-the-news/2022/sept-2022/chart-of-the-week-energy-price-cap-update

Its just a bit difficult to get through the price cap and average bills thing and find out what the actual price per unit is. 

Ok so it has tripled. apologies for thinking it hadn't. 

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its called scaremongering !!

Yes but the price per unit actually has tripled

https://www.icaew.com/insights/viewpoints-on-the-news/2022/sept-2022/chart-of-the-week-energy-price-cap-update

"The average per kWh price for electricity has increased from 17.2p (Oct 2020-Mar 2021) to 19.0p (Apr-Sep 2021) to 20.8p (Oct 2021-Mar 2020) to 28.3p currently and will rise to 51.9p in October. If Cornwall Insight’s predictions come to fruition, the price is likely to rise to somewhere around 80.5p per kWh in January and potentially to 91.8p in April, before falling to 78.3p in July and rising slightly to 79.8p in October 2023. The potential peak of 91.8p is more than five times the level back in October 2020"

Edited by magnetman

18 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes but the price per unit actually has tripled

"The average per kWh price for electricity has increased from 17.2p (Oct 2020-Mar 2021) to 19.0p (Apr-Sep 2021) to 20.8p (Oct 2021-Mar 2020) to 28.3p currently and will rise to 51.9p in October. If Cornwall Insight’s predictions come to fruition, the price is likely to rise to somewhere around 80.5p per kWh in January and potentially to 91.8p in April, before falling to 78.3p in July and rising slightly to 79.8p in October 2023. The potential peak of 91.8p is more than five times the level back in October 2020"

So, In September 2022  "they" were forecasting a price of 51.9p for October & around 80.5p in Jan 2023

My rates can be seen below (the day and night usage means it averages out at a tad over 27p / unit)

Day rate 28.71 ppu

Night rate 19.16 ppu

Screenshot (1845).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The £400 subsidy  has cushioned the cost but I am still paying about 50% more than summer 2022 when my fixed rate deal expired.

I have increased my monthly payments from  1st Feb 2023  in anticipation of a rate increase after April 2023 and into next winter. 

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

Looks like boaters on official resi moorings will be able to claim, itinerant live aboards will not: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/money/new-energy-bill-help-portal-29047325

Which is the only practical solution.  Local Authorities will be able to verify that any address (not individual) applying is paying them council tax, and is indeed either off (electric / gas)-grid or in one of the other eligible categories, such as care homes.  And also ensure that each address receives just the one payment.

Otherwise true CCs, and CMers moving just enough to cross an LA boundary, could be applying for multiple payments via a different LA every few days / weeks.

48 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think Mr Blackrose said his electricity is £0.80/KWh. Dunno if there is a standing charge on top of that.

The subsidy is actually designed to cover the increased cost of energy, most of which is due to the rise in gas and oil, not electricity. It's just paid via the electrickery companies because everybody apparently has an electricity account, whatever else they use for power. Unless, of course, they don't.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The subsidy is actually designed to cover the increased cost of energy, most of which is due to the rise in gas and oil, not electricity. It's just paid via the electrickery companies because everybody apparently has an electricity account, whatever else they use for power. Unless, of course, they don't.

Oh, I see. Is gas not used to generate electricity then?

• Greenie 1