Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

I think he is referring to Brit Coin. 2p are made of steel these days so would make excellent fake rivets.

Be patriotic (matriotic?) and have the queen's head all down the side of the boat.

Vive l'angleterre Britannia rules the waves UK Gogogo. 

Weld 'em on and be proud. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

because it’s got nowt to do with Council Tax 🥱

....and around we go again

That’s it, I’m grabbing my coat and going pub.

At least I found my coolant leak today, something positive done.

Time for a beer or two 🍺🍺

I think you've got a point.

I can hear the pub calling. None of this is my business anyway as a leisure boater.

Cheers.

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think he's got a pint.

👍

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think you've got a point.

I can hear the pub calling. None of this is my business anyway as a leisure boater.

Cheers.

you probably care about it more than most 

Any boater (itinerant or otherwise), if on benefits will get something extra in their payments because it’s been below a certain temperature for so many days, so that’s something I guess, whether it’s enough ?

I think they said £25, a bag of coal maybe. 

9 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

On the principle that everyone registers with a doctor I did suggest a long time ago that paying via the doctors list may work. Obviously couples on the same boat would possibly get two payments but the doctors listing may prevent even this. It didn't attract any comment, I wonder why?

My wife and I are both registered with doctors, but the doctors can't discern whether we are one or two households (so one or two payments). The doctor also has no idea that I'm of no fixed abode as I cba with changing doctors constantly (at least in writing, they've probably noticed my prescriptions being sent to pharmacies all along the waterways!)

So I don't think doctors really have much useful to contribute to this. All they could do is confirm that I am a living person.

Edited by Ewan123

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Easy way out, give every adult over 18 years old £200

Now I did think that too, but I’m more  inclined to think £10,000 to everyone as they turn 18 (if they have an O level) and that’s their lot. 
No coming for state benefits , no wishy washy handouts: here’s Ten Grand make a life.  

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Now I did think that too, but I’m more  inclined to think £10,000 to everyone as they turn 18 (if they have an O level) and that’s their lot. 
No coming for state benefits , no wishy washy handouts: here’s Ten Grand make a life.  

That me skint then, I left school with nothing

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

I think he is referring to Brit Coin. 2p are made of steel these days so would make excellent fake rivets.

Not just the  1p and 2p "copper" coins: recent "silver" 5p and 10p coins are also steel-cored. 20p and 50p coins are as yet unaffected. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

On 23/01/2023 at 11:18, Puffling said:

Instead of waiting on the sidelines, you might join the meeting on Wednesday:

Please come to our online campaign meeting. It is at 7pm on Wednesday 25th January 2023, online or by phone:

https://8x8.vc/nbta/nbta

Alternatively, you can phone in using these details:

Dial-in: 0330 808 1706

PIN: 45925961#

How did the meeting go?

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

How did the meeting go?

I didn't catch all of the meeting, but  found it informative. Reports from one member on interaction with officials told of silence and unanswered emails from BEIS (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the concerned body). It's a familiar story for anyone doing campaign work.

The general impression is that the government hopes itinerant travellers will just wear themselves out petitioning to be given this grant and forget about it come the summer. Some legal challenges were suggested.

Unfortunately I think no-one in the meeting while I was there was in the trial area for initial application for the grant, so feedback on that process was lacking.

They are hoping to deliver the petition in person to Downing Street:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/include-off-grid-households-in-government-ps400-energy-bills-support-scheme

30 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Unfortunately I think no-one in the meeting while I was there was in the trial area for initial application for the grant, so feedback on that process was lacking.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/include-off-grid-households-in-government-ps400-energy-bills-support-scheme

There was a boater there, currently on the Llangollen who had been emailing Wrexham, one of the trial areas. He was getting nowhere with them, they were saying that they knew nothing and were not participating until it was all 'live'!

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Puffling said:

I didn't catch all of the meeting, but  found it informative. Reports from one member on interaction with officials told of silence and unanswered emails from BEIS (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the concerned body). It's a familiar story for anyone doing campaign work.

The general impression is that the government hopes itinerant travellers will just wear themselves out petitioning to be given this grant and forget about it come the summer. Some legal challenges were suggested.

I hold that until someone proposes a practical way of identifying households on boats 'deserving' of the grant which at the same time excludes non-deserving boats masquerading as deserving, there will be no grants for boat dwellers. Petition(s) or not. 

And all this conveniently overlooks the reason for the grant in the first place, being the tripling of mains gas and mains electricity prices to which many off-grid boat households have not been exposed.  

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, MtB said:

I hold that until someone proposes a practical way of identifying households on boats 'deserving' of the grant which at the same time excludes non-deserving boats masquerading as deserving, there will be no grants for boat dwellers. Petition(s) or not. 

And all this conveniently overlooks the reason for the grant in the first place, being the tripling of mains gas and mains electricity prices to which many off-grid boat households have not been exposed.  

Calor gas, coal and everything else has gone up Mike so why shouldnt they get the 400 squids?

20 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Calor gas, coal and everything else has gone up Mike so why shouldnt they get the 400 squids?

25% maybe, but boaters have not had the 250% across the board rises suffered by land dwellers. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

25% maybe, but boaters have not had the 250% across the board rises suffered by land dwellers. 

Mike my anthracite doubled in price  fortunately I bought HVO in bulk when it was cheap, but John gas just bought gas oil at 90ppl not cheap. He has also doubled his solar to cut down on genny running, although he has my whispergen so that might stop genny running for electric altogether. Its hit boat owners just the same as you! In this area there has been a 30-40% rise in moorings as well! Not for me but for 3 other moorings