Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

so ‘fuck ‘em’ basically,

happy days

People get "fucked" by the government all the time - for example DVLA errors that remove motorbike entitlements so they need to do the test again, etc. I am sure there are a ton of examples. Windrush. I don't think they deliberately targeted itinerant boaters, just that the fallout was deemed insignificant off of this one so no further action needed etc...

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

People get "fucked" by the government all the time - for example DVLA errors that remove motorbike entitlements so they need to do the test again, etc. I am sure there are a ton of examples. Windrush. I don't think they deliberately targeted itinerant boaters, just that the fallout was deemed insignificant off of this one so no further action needed etc...

In the greater scheme of things a 'few intinerant boaters' ARE pretty insignificant.

24 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I don’t think those examples are comparable.

More like it shows how a group of society can be ignored, and seen to be (as Alan says) insignificant.

2 minutes ago, Paul C said:

What is comparable then?

dunno, ...I’ll have a think,

errors with the DVLA are not comparable, at least there’s a system to deal with a bikers licenses

maybe a fairer comparison would be if all road users were given a discount on their vehicle tax,  but motorcyclists weren’t included

but it didn’t matter because they are an insignificant proportion of road users 🤷‍♀️

It was probably cheaper for the government to allocate money to all properties than the nett  cost of  setting up a mechanism  to avoid it. Setting up such a mechanism would probably have cost a lot more than the money saved by not giving money to second home owners. I think that is the reason why all pensioners get the winter fuel supplement: it is simple to implement as pensioners can be identified from NI records. 

On moneybox live tonight some people off grid have received the £400, not sure about the £200.

I can't see cc boaters getting these payments for a while, if ever. 

Long term I can't see the energy crisis being resolved

Edited by LadyG

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Long term I can't see the energy crisis being resolved

There isnt an energy crisis, it's just that the energy suppliers have agreed buying prices way above the gas and oil costs now.

...and our government is too spineless and corrupt to step in.

I bought my winter coal in June at Summer prices knowing what would happen, so no impact, gas is an ongoing cost rise, about £5 a month at present whoopee. My leccy is currently 14p a unit 

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

There isnt an energy crisis, it's just that the energy suppliers have agreed buying prices way above the gas and oil costs now.

Well at the risk of incurring your ire for the second time this evening I would say there is very much a crisis for some. The cause to them is immaterial, they are goosed what ever the cause.

6 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Well at the risk of incurring your ire for the second time this evening I would say there is very much a crisis for some. The cause to them is immaterial, they are goosed what ever the cause.

Again you completely miss the point.

There isnt an energy crisis. The has prices are now the lowest they have been for three years.

There is an affordability crisis caused by the power companies with no government intervention for lower earners trying to pay their bills.

The Government could cap the prices properly like France, Germany, Holland etc, but unfortunately it would affect the ministers shareholdings in said power companies so no....let's drip feed a £400 here and there, and make it difficult for anybody "not normal" to benefit. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, matty40s said:

Again you completely miss the point.

There isnt an energy crisis. The has prices are now the lowest they have been for three years.

There is an affordability crisis caused by the power companies with no government intervention for lower earners trying to pay their bills.

The Government could cap the prices properly like France, Germany, Holland etc, but unfortunately it would affect the ministers shareholdings in said power companies so no....let's drip feed a £400 here and there, and make it difficult for anybody "not normal" to benefit. 

We are arguing about the colour of the flames when your pants are on fire.

But I see the point you are making.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

When, if ever,  is it expected energy costs to fall to reflect the current lower price of gas and oil?

Generally after another £20bn profit is announced by most of the oil companies.

Although this will be offset against new exploration so no tax will be payable

The Zahawi Principle 

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Fire resistant?

The farts still get out if that interests you martin

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Ok thanks. So Goliath's "extra" grants are made up twaddle, just as I thought. 

No, because your lucky household with two houses gets an extra grant. Or three. The made up twaddle is trying desperately to pretend extra grants aren't going to those who don't need it. I believe "thought" is not an action you have employed, sadly.

12 hours ago, Goliath said:

dunno, ...I’ll have a think,

errors with the DVLA are not comparable, at least there’s a system to deal with a bikers licenses

maybe a fairer comparison would be if all road users were given a discount on their vehicle tax,  but motorcyclists weren’t included

but it didn’t matter because they are an insignificant proportion of road users 🤷‍♀️

There isn't! When DVLA remove your entitlement it's a nightmare to get it back! I lost my motorbike license, even though I could prove I had it with a producer from the Police, they still refused to return it

18 minutes ago, peterboat said:

There isn't! When DVLA remove your entitlement it's a nightmare to get it back! I lost my motorbike license, even though I could prove I had it with a producer from the Police, they still refused to return it

I read about this happening years ago - one example was a chap who drove for a living and lost his car driving letters when he sent his licence off. I can't remember the outcome but it was a nightmare experience. Since then I always photocopy my licence before I send it to the DVLA. 

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

When I read about this a few years ago, I kept my old license at renewal time just in case (I may have told them I lost the original). Thankfully it came back with motorcycle entitlement still intact. 

• Greenie 1