Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Getting payments to off-grid people was a topic in today's "Moneybox" on BBC Radio 4 ( to be repeated tomorrow). Apparently the government are still investigating how to do it. Canal-dwellers were not specifically mentioned.   

It's all a bit "Yes Minister".

The bloke at the top says something will be done and ultimately after a month or three it rolls down to a lowly civil servant somewhere to work out how to do it. Then everyone picks holes in their method for another month or two and then it works its way back up the chain. By this time  the bloke at the top has got more important things to think about (like the local elections and millions of people not being allowed to vote and concurrent bad publicity), the councils are screaming they can't afford to do it and the weather's warmer anyway, the price of gas has come down, they're still alive,  aren't they, and there aren't enough of them to make much of a fuss so he shoves it to the bottom of the agenda, decides it can't be done and that itinerants have made their choice of lifestyle so tough.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
grammar
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

And what's the betting the first 'simple detail' to put on the form will turn out to be the address and postcode of the off-grid CCing boat....

Yep, that’s no problem, I can give a temporary contact address. 

For example I regularly use Post Offices for temporary contact. 

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Then 'the system' says - "NO - sorry - that address is on the mains gas, you do not qualify.

but it’s not my home address Alan 👍

but a contact address 

IF they ask for an address of any sort

Edited by Goliath

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

but it’s not my home address Alan 👍

but a contact address 

IF they ask for an address of any sort

Agreed - but this is likely to be a 'government automated system' do you expect that you will be able to explain the difference between a 'contact address' and your 'actual address' ?

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed - but this is likely to be a 'government automated system' do you expect that you will be able to explain the difference between a 'contact address' and your 'actual address' ?

This problem is exactly what NBTA and NABO are trying to help with. We pointed out to the gov. dept that it had to be acceptable for liveaboards with NFA to only put a c/o address on their online declaration/application form. So far this option has not been taken up on their tick boxes.....

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have managed it on the government website before, you just have to be a bit imaginative. And I don’t mean cheating either. 

But one would expect the bureaucrats would have worked out a system for those with no fixed address by now.

Benefit offices, GP’s and health centres are set up to deal with those folk with no address, so why wouldn’t the local council/authority be able to deal with it?
I don’t believe it need be as difficult as people make out. 

crossed with wandering snails explaination

Edited by Goliath

8 hours ago, Paul C said:

Technically, they don't contradict each other:

NBTA

Trial 'this week' (since they said that on Thu 19th Jan, we must deduce 'this week' means either Mon-Sun 16-22 Jan, or they meant next week, 23-29 Jan)

Full nationwide roll-out 'before mid-February' (so......any time 19 Jan - 13 Feb)

Press Office

Trial areas not known about, so we must assume national rollout, by 30th Jan ie 20-30 Jan

I don't think the trial is significant at all, its such a small area. Hence why it probably wasn't communicated to the press office. The dates for the national rollout are in the same range.

On the 17th of January, in response to a Shropshire MP "Mr Shapps said: “A lot of members will have park homes in their constituency, including my own, and the issue there has been more complex to get the money to them.  She'll be pleased to hear that the pilot schemes actually launched yesterday to get that money out to them. It will be a process through the local authority and we're making sure it's expedited as much as possible".

So something's been launched, somewhere, for someone but no details appear to be available anywhere. Still doesn't look like anything for boaters.

5 hours ago, MtB said:

And what's the betting the first 'simple detail' to put on the form will turn out to be the address and postcode of the off-grid CCing boat...

Cynic.

It'll be your Council Tax reference number ...  ;)

Edited by TheBiscuits
Stupid mobile phone

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Cynic.

Cynic.

Lol! 

And so the multiple post bug strikes yet again....!

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Lol! 

And so the multiple post bug strikes yet again....!

You can say that again!

I don't mind that it happens, the thing that annoys me is if it has a quoted post I can't remove the extra blockquotes on my phone. 

Easy enough on a computer but I can't select and delete them on my phone.  Is this the same for everyone else or am I missing something?

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

You can say that again!

I don't mind that it happens, the thing that annoys me is if it has a quoted post I can't remove the extra blockquotes on my phone. 

Easy enough on a computer but I can't select and delete them on my phone.  Is this the same for everyone else or am I missing something?

I've learned that if when pressing "Send" nothing seems to happen, one's post did actually register but with no acknowledgement to you the poster.

In which case DON'T press "Send" again or the same will happen and another (duplicate) post will register, ad infinitum until you give up trying to post, and discover three, five or seventeen duplications of your wonderful contribution all available for us all to take the endless pish out of....

Hope that helps....

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You can say that again!

Delete your own duplicate text. Then position the cursor immediately after the box of quoted text and click on the backspace key. On my phone the whole block disappears.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Delete your own duplicate text. Then position the cursor immediately after the box of quoted text and click on the backspace key. On my phone the whole block disappears.

Didn't work on mine, but while trying it I found a workaround so thanks for the suggestion.

Add extra text both before and after the blockquote, then select both bits of text and the quote, then cut the whole bit.  Backspace/delete doesn't work for me 

I think that I will wait and see what happens.  A local live aboard boat owner also owns an historic Dunkirk boat.  He went to the Local Council to see if he could get a grant to help with the renovation.  Giving his marina address, the nice people at the Council office are registering his residence for Council Tax.  I might be willing to forgo the grant rather than rattle their cage.

• Horror 1

30 minutes ago, Peanut said:

I think that I will wait and see what happens.  A local live aboard boat owner also owns an historic Dunkirk boat.  He went to the Local Council to see if he could get a grant to help with the renovation.  Giving his marina address, the nice people at the Council office are registering his residence for Council Tax.  I might be willing to forgo the grant rather than rattle their cage.

Always a risk - "yes, you can get the £400 grant but we will now be registering you for £1000 pa council Tax".

Image result for shoot self in foot

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Peanut said:

I find it all rather amusing, this mad scramble to get the £400 and at the same time risk getting billed for £1200 council tax. 

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Peanut said:

I wouldn't have thought that would be possible, given that planning permission is often hard to come by. Wil it be backdated, if not why not?

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I wouldn't have thought that would be possible, given that planning permission is often hard to come by. Wil it be backdated, if not why not?

Somehow I doubt the absence of PP means CT cannot be levied. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Some one just had to bring up council tax again...

Why not?  The scheme boils down to "Register online and your local council will be in touch to give you discuss money."

On the first page of this thread I said:

On 19/12/2022 at 17:07, TheBiscuits said:

Unofficial liveaboards on non-residential moorings might not want £400 enough to tell the local authority where they actually live ...

• Greenie 3