Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I suggest your daughter stops renting then and buys a place of her own. 

I'm sure you could lend her the deposit. 

Idiot. I'd forgotten for a moment what kind of clown I was trying to educate.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Idiot. I'd forgotten for a moment what kind of clown I was trying to educate.

Descending to name-calling says more about you than about me.

What I suggested is still the solution, even though you don't like it. Carry on raging against the world, I'm sure you're enjoying it really! 

• Angry 1

On 01/01/2023 at 07:02, D Ash said:

Rachman Tebbit Overdrive

Quite.

Perhaps MtB knows Arthur personally, otherwise I'm not sure how he could know if his "solution" is affordable for Arthur's daughter or if Arthur is in a position to lend her the deposit?

An offhand comment like that regarding family members & money is insulting in itself, so I think name-calling was a perfectly understandable response.

19 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Quite.

Perhaps MtB knows Arthur personally, otherwise I'm not sure how he could know if his "solution" is affordable for Arthur's daughter or if Arthur is in a position to lend her the deposit?

An offhand comment like that regarding family members & money is insulting in itself, so I think name-calling was a perfectly understandable response.

So do I. His solution isn't affordable for my kid and I certainly couldn't stump up a deposit for a house, especially after paying out a thousand quid to her exlandlord for possibly illegal deposits and fees.

I've never raged against the world. Types like MtB, proud of ripping off and exploiting those unlucky folk who are unable to protect themselves, are unfortunately just part of the world we live in, like rats and other vermin. We just have to put up with them.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

So do I. His solution isn't affordable for my kid and I certainly couldn't stump up a deposit for a house, especially after paying out a thousand quid to her exlandlord for possibly illegal deposits and fees.

I've never raged against the world. Types like MtB, proud of ripping off and exploiting those unlucky folk who are unable to protect themselves, are unfortunately just part of the world we live in, like rats and other vermin. We just have to put up with them.

Put up with us providing accommodation for your daughter you mean? When otherwise she would be sleeping in your house?

What a bitter and twisted person you come across on here as, Arthur.  

Not all landlords are the same. I do the very best I can for my tenants, always, and we have totally cordial and co-operative relationships. No-one is being forced to rent from me or being taken advantage of. I see however your view of the world requires you to see things in black and white.

Edited by MtB
Add the last bit.
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Put up with us providing accommodation for your daughter you mean? When otherwise she would be sleeping in your house?

What a bitter and twisted person you are, Arthur.  

Ever considered that some people have a good reason to be bitter, especially in the light of your earlier ignorant comments?

Please don't pretend your motivation for being a landlord is the public good.  Landlord exploitation of tenants is a well established reality.  That doesn't necessarily mean you are one that deliberately exploits but it's concerning that your attitude is "if you don't like it, move elsewhere".  There are many barriers to tenants which can prevent that being a realistic option.  The fact that you don't seem to appreciate that is typical of the ignorance of some property owners towards renters.

I would suggest that you insulting Arthur further was out of order, and that an apology is overdue.

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

What a bitter and twisted person you come across on here as, Arthur.  

I do the very best I can for my tenants, always. Not all landlords are the same. 

Maybe you do, but your reply to Arthur doesn't exactly suggest that you're sympathetic to people in the position his daughter is -- being screwed by a nasty landlord... 😞

51 minutes ago, MtB said:

Bless.....

You are doing it for free I guess?

Check out Martin Lewis podcast and the moneysaving.com website. 

Make sure you apply for benefits via Gov.UK website whether you need to, or whether you think you are managing.. There are one million people not taking up just one of the benefits, this is probably because they think they are "managing" and have never applied for "benefits".

The whole social and financial economy is complex, and the government has kept tweaking the system, so that people who are not "in poverty" need to apply.

Think of it as a sort of negative income tax,  you need to stick you head over the parapet to discover if you are able to get cash from HMRC.

There will be new claimable payments in January, and in February. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

On 05/01/2023 at 10:29, doratheexplorer said:

Please don't pretend your motivation for being a landlord is the public good.  Landlord exploitation of tenants is a well established reality. 

But equally, if it wasn't for private landlords, many more people would have nowhere to live.  Public sector rented housing has been decimated over the last 4 decades. BTL landlords may have had a small upward impact on house prices, but even without that many people would be unable to buy for financial reasons or because they are at a stage of life when the commitment of a mortgage and property responsibilities are not right for them.

Stories of bad landlords - private, council and housing association - make the headlines, but you don't hear about the thousands of landlords and tenants who have satisfactory experiences.

• Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But equally, if it wasn't for private landlords, many more people would have nowhere to live.   

This ^^^^^^^

Over the past few years, due mostly to government policy, private landlords have been net sellers of property. You would expect this to have had a downward pressure on house prices, although the concomitant is the reduced supply of private rented accommodation, and the subsequent increasing of rents and bad behaviour of bad landlords.

Based on the above, if anything, on balance, "we" should be desiring more supply of private rented property for the public good.

Public sector rented housing has been decimated over the last 4 decades. 

It's almost as if government wants to encourage increased rents and bad landlord behaviour.

The answer to most of the housing issues which obtain today is to build hundreds of thousands of new homes, both private and social. In fact, when touting to be elected, parties acknowledge the fact, and promise to do exactly this....... then, once they have their hands on the cheque book, they dont, (although they will tell us that they have). Bit like Boris's promise to build 40 new hospitals and recruit 50,000 new nurses. If he had kept his promise, (not that you would have expected him to), the current problems with the NHS would be much less serious than they are.

Stories of bad landlords - private, council and housing association - make the headlines, but you don't hear about the thousands of landlords and tenants who have satisfactory experiences.

The fact is that, whilst I don't deny that there will be bad private landlords, every time I see a story in the media involving bad landlord behaviour, (including the recent death of the little boy), it is almost always related to council or housing association, or other social property. 

30 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

This ^^^^^^^

Over the past few years, due mostly to government policy, private landlords have been net sellers of property. You would expect this to have had a downward pressure on house prices, although the concomitant is the reduced supply of private rented accommodation, and the subsequent increasing of rents and bad behaviour of bad landlords.

Based on the above, if anything, on balance, "we" should be desiring more supply of private rented property for the public good.

It's almost as if government wants to encourage increased rents and bad landlord behaviour.

The answer to most of the housing issues which obtain today is to build hundreds of thousands of new homes, both private and social. In fact, when touting to be elected, parties acknowledge the fact, and promise to do exactly this....... then, once they have their hands on the cheque book, they dont, (although they will tell us that they have). Bit like Boris's promise to build 40 new hospitals and recruit 50,000 new nurses. If he had kept his promise, (not that you would have expected him to), the current problems with the NHS would be much less serious than they are.

The fact is that, whilst I don't deny that there will be bad private landlords, every time I see a story in the media involving bad landlord behaviour, (including the recent death of the little boy), it is almost always related to council or housing association, or other social property. 

The problem with the private rental system in the UK is that it's horribly insecure for tenants and poorly regulated, so it's pretty much down to the landlords whether they're nice and reasonable or grasping exploititative Rachmans. Some other countries seem to have a much better balance and a thriving public/private rented sector, which is preferable for many people to buying a house -- and in those countries, more common too.

I'm sure all the landlords on here will claim that they're in the nice category and bad ones are in the minority; all I can say is that this hasn't been my experience in the past, or my children's (or their friends) more recently.

The last line above is a direct "it's not me guv" diversion; a quick search throws up loads of articles about terrible private landlords -- and all the family experiences I referred to above were private landlords.

On 05/01/2023 at 10:29, doratheexplorer said:

Landlord exploitation of tenants is a well established reality.   

I don't. I bought a bungalow for when we can no longer manage in the house. I rent it out via an agent and its offered at the market rate, BUT I don't put the rent up every year, I get all repairs sorted promptly and I would probably make more money by investing the money elsewhere

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

The problem with the private rental system in the UK is that it's horribly insecure for tenants and poorly regulated, so it's pretty much down to the landlords whether they're nice and reasonable or grasping exploititative Rachmans.

That's more or less what I said. It's driven by government policy, and solveable by massively increased supply, which is repeatedly promised, but never delivered. I could add that some of the recent policy changes have disadvantaged "private" landlords, as against those who own their properties in a company. The changes which are coming are equally likely to encourage more landlords to sell up, thus exacerbating the issues even more.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Some other countries seem to have a much better balance and a thriving public/private rented sector, which is preferable for many people to buying a house -- and in those countries, more common too.

Not disagreeing.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I'm sure all the landlords on here will claim that they're in the nice category and bad ones are in the minority; all I can say is that this hasn't been my experience in the past, or my children's (or their friends) more recently.

The last line above is a direct "it's not me guv" diversion; a quick search throws up loads of articles about terrible private landlords -- and all the family experiences I referred to above were private landlords.

In a sense, your last line is a similarly direct "It's you guv'". It would be good if you could acknowledge that what I said about council, housing associations and other social providers, is true, even if not exclusive. My first line acknowledge the existence of your family experience, and your googled findings, and my last line above was an experience based fact, possibly because I am merely repeating what I have seen in the media, (mainly on TV news programmes). Having said that, it almost certainly isnt "me" guv' :)

Whilst it is quite right to complain about individual landlords, human nature dictates that they will continue to exist and thrive in current conditions. In order to be effective, the complaints might be better directed to your families various MPs. Having said that, I have done that with my MP a couple of times - she passed my complaints to government, only to receive the reponses which thanked me for my communications, and told me that they knew what they were doing and it was the right thing to do. I haven't bothered since :( 

12 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

That's more or less what I said. It's driven by government policy, and solveable by massively increased supply, which is repeatedly promised, but never delivered. I could add that some of the recent policy changes have disadvantaged "private" landlords, as against those who own their properties in a company. The changes which are coming are equally likely to encourage more landlords to sell up, thus exacerbating the issues even more.

Not disagreeing.

In a sense, your last line is a similarly direct "It's you guv'". It would be good if you could acknowledge that what I said about council, housing associations and other social providers, is true, even if not exclusive. My first line acknowledge the existence of your family experience, and your googled findings, and my last line above was an experience based fact, possibly because I am merely repeating what I have seen in the media, (mainly on TV news programmes). Having said that, it almost certainly isnt "me" guv' :)

Whilst it is quite right to complain about individual landlords, human nature dictates that they will continue to exist and thrive in current conditions. In order to be effective, the complaints might be better directed to your families various MPs. Having said that, I have done that with my MP a couple of times - she passed my complaints to government, only to receive the reponses which thanked me for my communications, and told me that they knew what they were doing and it was the right thing to do. I haven't bothered since :( 

I don't think we're disagreeing in general.

But still, you said "every time I see a story in the media involving bad landlord behaviour, (including the recent death of the little boy), it is almost always related to council or housing association, or other social property.".

I disagree because a quick search throws up just as many -- possibly more -- cases where the culprit is a private landlord, as well as the ones you refer to in social housing. In both cases the problem is that today there is not enough regulation, inspection and control of standards to prevent terrible quality housing, which is partly because there's nobody to do it due to local government cuts -- and guess where the blame for that lies?

I realise why you want to defend private landlords -- because you are one, albeit one of the good ones -- but your claim doesn't seem justified, because plenty of them -- both by my experience and press reports -- are just plain nasty.

If you admitted this and acknowledged that something needs to change to bring them up to your high standards (as well as bad social housing), then we'd be in complete agreement 🙂

Edited by IanD

27 minutes ago, Paul C said:

With it now being January, any CCers or other boat dwellers successfully claimed their £400? Or do we need to wait until the end of January for the full picture here?

Not heard any more yet, I'm assuming that the NBTA will send an email once the form actually goes live (at the very least they will want lots of liveaboard CCers to test it by attempting to claim, even if no one can tell yet whether it will work).

Edited by Ewan123

1 minute ago, Ewan123 said:

Not heard any more yet, I'm assuming that the NBTA will send an email once the form actually goes live (at the very least they will want lots of liveaboard CCers to attempt to claim ASAP, even if no one can tell yet whether it will work).

hope so,

as far as I can see there is nothing

2 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

I'm just glad that someone returned the thread to the original topic!

Keith

Yep.

I've been monitoring the Gov.UK website, nothing yet. Im not convinced all liveaboard boaters will be easily identified, having said that, I did get one cold weather payment, it's linked to my postcode.

• Greenie 1