Boat dwellers to be able to claim the £400 energy allowance.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Good, it will stop the moaners going on about being underprivileged.

I think it means everyone gets the money promised by the Government to "all".

I'm not moaning, and neither are you, but then maybe one of us got the promised payment and the other one didn't .

I don't actually live in a houseboat, a park home or a marina, but I will apply in January, online 

I may be wrong, but as a British Citizen and UK resident, it would be nice to be "included".

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

I guess we have to wait until the new year for exact details of eligibility, I doubt I'll be eligible, I spend most of the year in one part of the country on a boat but I'm officially registered as resident at someone else's house at the other side of the country for official mail and such like. I would assume I'll miss out because of it, otherwise that payment would be wide open to abuse. Not particularly worried though, never mind.

16 minutes ago, RollingFoggy said:

I guess we have to wait until the new year for exact details of eligibility, I doubt I'll be eligible, I spend most of the year in one part of the country on a boat but I'm officially registered as resident at someone else's house at the other side of the country for official mail and such like. I would assume I'll miss out because of it, otherwise that payment would be wide open to abuse. Not particularly worried though, never mind.

Same as many on here I would think, but I believe the £400 is paid to individuals rather than their abodes.

It may be that boaters living 'under the radar' on leisure moorings will lose out whereas the NBTA are advocating for those without a home mooring.  In my experience as a year round leisure boater, I'd say that it costs a lot more to heat a house than a boat though I do acknowledge that everyone's costs have increased.

11 minutes ago, Lady C said:

It may be that boaters living 'under the radar' on leisure moorings will lose out whereas the NBTA are advocating for those without home mooring.  In my experience as a year round leisure boater, I'd say that it costs a lot more to heat a house than a boat though I do acknowledge that everyone's costs have increased.

It does cost more to heat a poorly insulated house than a well insulated boat, but that's not the argument, the Govt promised  "all households" get £400, Im sure that was what they said.

Now they are tasked with delivering. There will be thousands who use a postal address, it's used for formal communications.

It does not ask where you actually live.

There can be several households living at one address, eg the Ukraine refugees, or  houses of multiple occupation.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

It's being paid via the local authorities, so how that would work for a continuous cruiser I have no idea. If I was involved I'd check on the Traveller websites, as they are as mobile as CCers and a lot more organised.

and that will most likely cause a problem,

I’m not sure Travellers are as mobile as CCers (aah I hate that term),

Don’t Travellers tend to get dedicated sites where they can stay indefinitely.??

Where’s a CCer has agreed to move from place to place, never staying longer than 14 days 

we shall just have to wait til January and see,

It’s not right, but I imagine someone without a home mooring will have to be a bit flexible with the truth to get the money

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's being paid via the local authorities, so how that would work for a continuous cruiser I have no idea. If I was involved I'd check on the Traveller websites, as they are as mobile as CCers and a lot more organised.

Yes the £400 to be paid to CT payers is to be done via the CT bill. So it can't be paid that way to cc boaters or non residential boaters , or park home people.

Assuming the LA are levying Council Tax on domestic properties, that is the only way they can apply this payment.

People who reside at a postal address and receive a CT bill wont want anyone else on their bill.

I think this is an alternative gadget 

Edited by LadyG

The original payment was to be paid via the CT and would be provided via the LA software, the CT bill being reduced and the LA claiming back from the UK Govt 

They realised that 900000 were being excluded so have had to set up an online application.That is my understanding of this update 

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well then it won't be paid to cc boaters or non residential boaters 

Assuming the LA are levying Council Tax on domestic properties, that is the only way they can apply this payment.

People who reside at a postal address and receive a CT bill wont want anyone else on their bill.

I’m not sure that need be the case.

Hopefully it’ll be a simple matter of applying to the local authority you happen to be in.

Weren’t there something about the government allotting extra monies to local authorities so they could make payments to people in general?

Which would mean Council Tax ain’t the source for payment.

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I’m not sure that need be the case.

Hopefully it’ll be a simple matter of applying to the local authority you happen to be in.

Weren’t there something about the government allotting extra monies to local authorities so they could make payments to people in general?

Which would mean Council Tax ain’t the source for payment.

The government will have to refund the LA for all the £400 getting this payment. These are CT payers.

I think it would be simpler for people to apply online as an individual direct to the Govt, they have all our individual records but the LA dont

It's being paid via the local authorities, so how that would work for a continuous cruiser I have no idea.

CCers should be Ok as they're covered by the law.  

Unofficial liveaboards on non-residential moorings might not want £400 enough to tell the local authority where they actually live ...

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

CCers should be Ok as they're covered by the law.  

Unofficial liveaboards on non-residential moorings might not want £400 enough to tell the local authority where they actually live ...

The system will come up with "address not found" or some such so they would be rejected if applying using their actual postcode.

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The original payment was to be paid via the CT and would be provided via the LA software, the CT bill being reduced and the LA claiming back from the UK Govt 

They realised that 900000 were being excluded so have had to set up an online application.That is my understanding of this update 

The "original" £400 payment that we are talking about is being paid to us via our electricity supplier (we have a house) knocking £66 (or£67)  off the bill every month for six months. This is being paid to everyone who has a domestic electricity supply. Nothing to do with the local authority. The scheme announced today caters for those who don't have a domestic electricity supply.  You are mixing this up with a previous £150 scheme that was indeed paid via the local authoroity and paid to every household with a band C or below council tax property.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

4 hours ago, Lady C said:

It may be that boaters living 'under the radar' on leisure moorings will lose out whereas the NBTA are advocating for those without a home mooring.  In my experience as a year round leisure boater, I'd say that it costs a lot more to heat a house than a boat though I do acknowledge that everyone's costs have increased.

Well it's an energy allowance so not just related to heating.

My electricity costs have increased x4. I don't think many householders have had to deal with that sort of cost increase.

37 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

😏 Yes I think I'll forego the one off £400 payment...

12 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

The "original" £400 payment that we are talking about is being paid to us via our electricity supplier (we have a house) knocking £66 (or£67)  off the bill every month for six months. This is being paid to everyone who has a domestic electricity supply. Nothing to do with the local authority. The scheme announced today caters for those who don't have a domestic electricity supply.  You are mixing this up with a previous £150 scheme that was indeed paid via the local authoroity and paid to every household with a band C or below council tax property.

That makes better sense of it.

There’s been so many comings and going on this I’m confused

6 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

The bit that puzzles me is why any of these need the £400. It is to help compensate people on mains gas and main electricity for the tripling of mains gas and electricty surely. A cost off-gridders have broadly avoided. 

The 'average householder' on mains gas and leccy has seen their annual fuel bill rise from £1200 to £3600. I've not seen any equivalent tripling for boaters. 

Jus' saying! 

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm totally lost with all therse various grants - isn't this the one for people who are not on mains-gas  to use to contribute towards the increase in kerosene prices (not capped), and not electric prices as electric prices are capped ?

Yes, but it is the result of sloppy semantics by the politicians who promised it to all "off grid" households, thinking "off grid" meant off the gas grid and running on oil.

Even so, despite recent price shocks oil remains the cheapest fuel per kWr of all by far, save for wood and coal. 

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

Same as many on here I would think, but I believe the £400 is paid to individuals rather than their abodes.

It is not paid to individuals but it is paid per property regardless of the number of people living there.

In my case and many others it is paid direct to the energy supplier. I see it as a £67 monthly payment towards my bill.

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

The bit that puzzles me is why any of these need the £400. It is to help compensate people on mains gas and main electricity for the tripling of mains gas and electricty surely. A cost off-gridders have broadly avoided. 

The 'average householder' on mains gas and leccy has seen their annual fuel bill rise from £1200 to £3600. I've not seen any equivalent tripling for boaters. 

Jus' saying! 

As I understand it, every household is to get a flat rate £400 to (partly) compensate for increased domestic energy costs, regardless of what energy source or level of energy use applies in individual cases. Presumably the flat rate is intended to be relatively simple to administer, and avoids the need to review individual household's actual energy position. 

Sine the vast majority of households occupy houses and flats with a domestic electricity supply contract, the easiest way to provide the £400 to those households is as a discount off the electricity bill (regardless of whether a household uses electricity for heating).

That just leaves the minority who don't have a domestic electricity contract, including park homes and boats with fixed moorings, who are supplied with electricity by the site operator (who has a commercial supply contract) and true off gridders, such as CCing boaters, who don't have a land based electricity supply at all.