The mystery of the "six-petalled roundel"

watermarks

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, BuckbyLocks said:

My understanding of the Stars on many boats in The Netherlands, not just Opduwers, is that the boat is owned by the operator and is not a company boat.

That appears to be the modern meaning, but evolved from the original superstition. Owners tended to add the stars for luck whereas companies did not, so it came to be a sign of an owner/operator originating out of the superstition. I found this information in Dutch and had to translate it, and can't now find it again.

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I love Opduwers !

They are just too cool.

I agree. Mine (which does not yet have stars as it needs a lot of repair first):

IMG_8859.jpg

• Greenie 4

On 18/12/2022 at 14:33, agg221 said:

That appears to be the modern meaning, but evolved from the original superstition. Owners tended to add the stars for luck whereas companies did not, so it came to be a sign of an owner/operator originating out of the superstition. I found this information in Dutch and had to translate it, and can't now find it again.

I agree. Mine (which does not yet have stars as it needs a lot of repair first):

IMG_8859.jpg

♥️♥️♥️

Thank you for all the replies and pictures everyone, this has been fascinating (and sorry for slow response from me! Came down with Xmas flu, so various things went on the back burner....)

I never would have thought about the bacofoil connection as well, but that makes total sense!

On 17/12/2022 at 09:50, Pluto said:

You could try reading my book 'Brightwork', which, besides covering the paintwork on L&LC boats in general, looks at the possible religious origins of the boat paintwork. Co-author, Sam Yates, was trained at Whitebirk boatyard in the 1940s and had ideas about the origins of scrolls, and I added an overview of similar decoration found across Europe. I took the attached photo of a wooden house in northern Russia. The other photo is of stylised roses on a cupboard in the Black Forest museum at Gutach.

Russian roof painting.jpg

Black Forest museum, Gutach.jpg

Brilliany photos and will definitely check out the 'Brightwork' book. Thank you.