Source of Premium Paraffin

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

As some members will know, I have a collection of old Oil Lamps which use Premium Paraffin as a fuel. My supply of paraffin is getting a bit low, and I am finding a supplier difficult to find.  Until recently Premium Paraffin could be bought in 4litre containers from Garage Forecourts, Hardware Shops, Garden Centres, and even in B&Q, but suddenly all the usual sources are no longer longer stocking it, quoting the unwillingness of Couriers to carry small quantity suplies. Does anyone know of a supplier where I may be able to get hold of some?

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

As some members will know, I have a collection of old Oil Lamps which use Premium Paraffin as a fuel. My supply of paraffin is getting a bit low, and I am finding a supplier difficult to find.  Until recently Premium Paraffin could be bought in 4litre containers from Garage Forecourts, Hardware Shops, Garden Centres, and even in B&Q, but suddenly all the usual sources are no longer longer stocking it, quoting the unwillingness of Couriers to carry small quantity suplies. Does anyone know of a supplier where I may be able to get hold of some?

I've had a few deliveries via Amazon with no problem 

A few years ago my local heating oil supplier was happy to fill a jerry can with paraffin at their yard.  

We also had a hardware shop that sold it by the litre from a tap in the shop but they closed due to fire (nothing to do with the parafin) last year and haven't reopened yet. 

I've always bought my Tilley lamp oil from coal merchants.

They seem the sell it in boxes of 4 x 2L containers. Not sure if they still do or if it is the same stuff you need, but prolly worth asking CPL and any coal merchant near you.

"Lamp oil" specifically seems to smell less than paraffin. But I'm sure you know this already!

As somebody who does a bit of fire eating and fire shows the price of paraffin now is making it an expensive hobby! It is also getting harder to obtain. 

When I was a kid we used to have two vans with tanks in the back come round to fill your own containers for use  in room heaters etc….one kid in  road did die however when the fumes from the portable heater in the bathroom killed him….didn’t stop anyone else using them….imagine the outcry now! 

I actually like the smell of it burning……

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, frangar said:

I actually like the smell of it burning……

Same, now it's the smell of snug dark winters evening but it is also the smell of working in a warm greenhouse whilst the winter batters the outside

Lovely smell

I did try fire-breathing once, took me ages to convince the bloke who was doing the display I was, sober, sane, unlikely to kill myself, fun though it was my gag reaction to the paraffin was difficult to overcome  ;)

Just now, tree monkey said:

Same, now it's the smell of snug dark winters evening but it is also the smell of working in a warm greenhouse whilst the winter batters the outside

Lovely smell

I did try fire-breathing once, took me ages to convince the bloke who was doing the display I was, sober, sane, unlikely to kill myself, fun though it was my gag reaction to the paraffin was difficult to overcome  ;)

It’s quite easy to choke and inhale….you then flash burn the inside of your lungs…this is generally a bad thing! 

I’ve made my own fire toys including fire whips….for some shows I use isopropyl alcohol though as paraffin burns away the Kevlar wicks…paraffin is much safer for eating as it burns at a lower temp and isn’t as bad for your body….keeps you regular! (Note I don’t advise drinking it!!…and best to rinse your mouth out with water asap after use and spitting water out!!)

42 minutes ago, john.k said:

The best paraffin is jet fuel ,and you used to get it free if you knew someone had access to the airport ........I used to run my tractor on it,you could tell from the smell ,but it ran perfectly.

Avgas!

A term which introduces even more confusion as it is nether gas nor petrol.

1 hour ago, john.k said:

The best paraffin is jet fuel ,and you used to get it free if you knew someone had access to the airport ........I used to run my tractor on it,you could tell from the smell ,but it ran perfectly.

There's a massive pipeline full of the stuff running from Manchester Airport and Ellesmere Port, all you need is a drill and a bucket

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Avgas!

A term which introduces even more confusion as it is nether gas nor petrol.

AvGas is aviation 'petrol' (only used on engines with spark ignition) I think you maybe thinking of "JetA1" which is the 'paraffin' / Kerosene.

Our tow-tug (at the gliding club) should have used avgas, ('no water'-petrol) but we actually used standard 4* car petrol as we didn't go high enough to get the carb freezing

Was Alfredo Spanish? He might have meant diesel! ( Although it's probably just a case of EB's ignorance.)

When we drove  to Spain in the early 1970's in a hired petrol-engined Transit minibus, we found that Spain was calling diesel "petrol", and petrol "gasolina".  The UK hire company had put a Dymo label with "petrol" next to the  filler cap,  which always caused confusion whenever we used a manned filling station, especially as none of our party spoke Spanish! 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos