Phone problems, again

LadyG

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

Tx for that, I'm not registered in HX, so missed the notification, glad to know it just a blip. 

One is so dependant on communications these days, the pace of life, sigh.

One would think that, since the point of mobile devices is to allow the user to be mobile, mobile service providers would send a notification based on where the device is geographically located rather than where the bill payer is deemed to reside.

However, we are talking about telecoms companies here...

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Just a question LadyG, is there anything in the least technical that you don't have troubles with?but one of them then put labels on the wrong isolater

I avoided smartphones for years which meant I had no idea how a touchscreen works, I wait until things no longer work before I replace them, not keen on spending money  the very latest thing. This tablet for example replaced the laptop, it was second hand and seems reliable.

Not a complete Luddite as I was an early user of mobile phones, which then resembled touchpad telephones. Also had some early computers, but soon got fed up with "hangman' in black and white or was it green?

I just have no interest in keeping up with stuff, and absolutely no patience when things don't do what they are paid to do.

Btw regarding the boat  I twice found people to replace  batteries but one of them, tasked with labelling isolators got it wrong, it was a fifty fifty chance. I think he was the one who killed one of my USB charging sockets

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I avoided smartphones for years which meant I had no idea how a touchscreen works, I wait until things no longer work before I replace them, not keen on spending money  the very latest thing. This tablet for example replaced the laptop, it was second hand and seems reliable.

Not a complete Luddite as I was an early user of mobile phones, which then resembled touchpad telephones. Also had some early computers, but soon got fed up with "hangman' in black and white or was it green?

I just have no interest in keeping up with stuff, and absolutely no patience when things don't do what they are paid to do.

Btw regarding the boat  I twice found people to replace  batteries but one of them, tasked with labelling isolators got it wrong, it was a fifty fifty chance.

but one of them then put labels on the wrong isolator.

Put that where it belongs for you.

16 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

but one of them then put labels on the wrong isolator.

Put that where it belongs for you.

I would think that any "electrician" would at least have a labelling machine ( £7.99 Lidl), but he used a Sharpie pen on the metal structure, fortunately it's behind the facade, so no one will be misled except the next electrician!

I know which is which, but I do have D, S, and B on the switch things

Edited by LadyG

18 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Three is rubbish. I've had no end of problems with their network being very congested with too many "Unlimited" users. On the boat I have a router with a EE sim card in it and it's rare to have problems. Here at Alvecote Marina for instance just now at 16:45 I am getting 20 megs. At the house I have a similar set-up with a router and I used to have a EE sim in that too which also worked fine

I wish to complain my system at home on 3 works far to well. I have bad dreams about speeds of 20Mbs.

Only managing a tad over 300Mbs this morning.

Its so bad I have decided not to have FTTP installed. ;)

Screenshot_2022-12-16-11-16-39-007.jpg

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I wish to complain my system at home on 3 works far to well. I have bad dreams about speeds of 20Mbs.

Which Three router do you have?

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

20 megs does fine for me. I can do emails and browsing as well as watching the telly all at the same time. 300 megs would be wasted on me.  It amuses me that half a gigabyte of data is used just for a test. I used to install 300 baud modems where half a gig would have taken about 2 months to download. Happy days.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Which Three router do you have?

Huawei 5g CPE Pro.

No external antennas fitted it's just on a shelf in the study.

Only downside is it does occasionally lose 5g, power down and back up and it's good again.

Edited by Loddon

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Huawei 5g CPE Pro.

No external antennas fitted it's just on a shelf in the study.

Only downside is it does occasionally lose 5g, power down and back up and it's good again.

So your router (presumably with a SIM-only data deal -- which one?), not one from Three?

(also -- Pro, Pro 2 or Pro 3?)

Edited by IanD

18 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

It amuses me that half a gigabyte of data is used just for a test. I used to install 300 baud modems where half a gig would have taken about 2 months to download. Happy days.

I used to run AX25 otherwise known as Packet Radio, those were fun days especially when we started running KA9Q over radio  links 

1 minute ago, IanD said:

So your router (presumably with a SIM-only data deal -- which one?), not one from Three?

It's an old 3 data contract deal £15pcm but I have upgraded the router a couple of times in the last two years.

Huawei B818 was good for 4g

Huawei 5g CPE pro which I have now is ex 3 bought from eBay and is allegedly locked to 3 but does run Smarty as well.

Here on the Isle of Man we are limited to Manx Telecom or Sure. When in the UK I use EE, I did try "3", but in order to register my phone I had to jump backwards through a burning bucket with no trousers on, having offered to give my life savings to the wierdo on the "3" help-line. "Don't worry" he said "the phone will automatically connect after three hours and after you have turned your phone off for exactly 30 minutes three times" - have you noticed the repeats of the figure three yet?

After ten hours, another four calls to the (un)help(ful) line I carefully installed the sim card in the nearest bin and reverted to EE.

EE promptly sent me a message welcoming me back and telling me I still had £X credit on the card - now that's service!

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

It's an old 3 data contract deal £15pcm but I have upgraded the router a couple of times in the last two years.

Huawei B818 was good for 4g

Huawei 5g CPE pro which I have now is ex 3 bought from eBay and is allegedly locked to 3 but does run Smarty as well.

As I'm sure you're aware Smarty is 3's budget brand.

12 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

As I'm sure you're aware Smarty is 3's budget brand.

Indeed it is. However Smarty uses a different APN to 3 which could pose difficulties as the APN is hard coded into the router.  However Smarty does work using the 3 APN. 

29 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Indeed it is. However Smarty uses a different APN to 3 which could pose difficulties as the APN is hard coded into the router.  However Smarty does work using the 3 APN. 

Are you sure about that? With most routers you can change the APN, for example see here -- but this can depend on where the router originally came from e.g. locked or unlocked...

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/huawei-5g-router.38899/#post-287362

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/three-home-broadband-huawei-5g-cpe-pro-streaming-services-not-working.38023/#post-273076

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/huawei-h122-373-cpe-pro-2-firmware-update-go-no-go.38676/#post-286915

Edited by IanD

32 minutes ago, IanD said:

I have yet to find a way to change it, not that I need to as I'm staying with 3/Smarty

I looked at those links previously and can't see anything that says how you can do it.

Most CPE pros in the UK are locked to 3 part of which is the fixed APN.

DNS on the 818 can be another problem but at least you can get around that using console in windows to edit the page so it displays the settings.

Edited by Loddon