Black Prince Advert

robtheplod

Featured Posts

People in the arc of the tiller (repeatedly), no life jackets 99.9% of the time, even on the kids, running on the lockside, child in the foredeck going into a tunnel, gang plank of the bow of the boat....clearly the guy in the office who approved that for uploading has no idea of handover requirements.

Showcases CRT's current veg. management rather well too I thought.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats
missing words
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

People in the arc of the tiller (repeatedly), no life jackets 99.9% of the time, even on the kids, running on the lockside, child in the foredeck, gang plank of the bow of the boat....clearly the guy in the office who approved that for uploading has no idea of handover requirements.

A bit harsh... The lad's got a life jacket on sometimes, and people have been in the arc of my tiller on a cruiser deck for thirty years and I've never poked any of them into the wet. There's plenty of room to get out of the way. And the only way to stop excited children running is to shoot them.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

and people have been in the arc of my tiller on a cruiser deck for thirty years and I've never poked any of them into the wet.

Yet - and when the rudder hits something and whips round, there's no time to get out of the way.

My real point though is that if you're doing a video you should be showing best practise, and that bit of film contains a number of things that are contrary to the BMF Hireboat Handover.

Missed a couple of words too - should have read "child in the foredeck going into a tunnel".

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A bit harsh... The lad's got a life jacket on sometimes, and people have been in the arc of my tiller on a cruiser deck for thirty years and I've never poked any of them into the wet. There's plenty of room to get out of the way. And the only way to stop excited children running is to shoot them.

I once ballsed up a reverse during winding a hire boat.  The force with which the tiller swung was pretty intense. I didnt go over the rail as I managed to stop myself. I was very firmly and quite painfully pinned there until I could ease the boat foward and extricate myself.

Edited by M_JG
Spooling error.

25 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Yet - and when the rudder hits something and whips round, there's no time to get out of the way.

I'm not convinced about the mechanism for that when going forwards, anything hitting the rudder will have the hull, skeg and prop to deal with before meeting the short forward end of the rudder, but it's definitely a thing in reverse... as @M_JG has ably illustrated above! 

1 hour ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

People in the arc of the tiller (repeatedly), no life jackets 99.9% of the time, even on the kids, running on the lockside, child in the foredeck going into a tunnel, gang plank of the bow of the boat....clearly the guy in the office who approved that for uploading has no idea of handover requirements.

Sour grapes?

Cracking propaganda video from Black Prince. 
I love it!

People in the arc of the tiller (repeatedly), no life jackets 99.9% of the time, even on the kids, running on the lockside, child in the foredeck going into a tunnel, gang plank of the bow of the boat....

Just like it used to be in the old days eh. 

We didnt have lifejackets when hiring in the 80's either.

I think it is lovely advert in the same vein as Centre Parks do.

Only when you get there you find that you have 1hour in the pool a day, have to pay for archery, climbing, and every other bloody activity on there as well as wear the harnesses and safety stuff.

Great advert for family holidays, you can get the spiel and safety stuff when you get there and once you have departed, either follow it religeously, enforcing it on your kids, or enjoy your holiday.

I would love to say that most of your hirers do what you state, but I would lie. Most dont, some might have it in the backs of their mind, however , a canal holiday should be a slow moving, enjoyable trip.

Missed a couple of words too - should have read "child in the foredeck going into a tunnel".

How to ignore history. I used to get the kids looking at the brickwork, looking for side tunnels, spotting the 100m signs and the centre points, looking for ceiling ironwork.

Sticking them in the cabin was a no-no

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

How to ignore history. I used to get the kids looking at the brickwork, looking for side tunnels, spotting the 100m signs and the centre points, looking for ceiling ironwork.

Hope you get ‘em legging it too?

Show them how it was. 
😂

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

Never mind all the safety guff, i can’t get past the new livery, not a fan :( 

They're still blue and yellow in my head :) I can see why they dropped the maroon though - it's prone to fading (almost as badly as red...).

35 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Sour grapes?

Not at all. I don't know any of the current management, but I knew Tim Parker fairly well and regarded him very highly - as did most in our trade.

This business probably isn't how you imagine - we may be competitors, but a lot of us good friends as well.

39 minutes ago, matty40s said:

In some ways I agree - but it's part of the BMF audit, and it would take a braver person than I to want to risk ending up in court after an accident because I hadn't followed industry best practice

I think kids wearing lifejackets might actually be less common these days (my memories of the 80s are of hoardes of orange lifejackets on Willow Wrens) but I think that's because there are far less children coming on boating holidays now for a host of reasons - and that part of the advert, encouraging children, showing them joining in and having fun, is to be applauded.

Knowing the effort that went into getting it right for The Boater's DVD, the approach just surprised me.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

3 hours ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

I think that was planted reeds on the Droitwich canal. An original feature I believe.

There was some overhanging veg at the tunnel portal. South end of Tardebigge at a guess, and if so it’s been like that for a while.

I think kids wearing lifejackets might actually be less common these days (my memories of the 80s are of hoardes of orange lifejackets on Willow Wrens) but I think that's because there are far less children coming on boating holidays now for a host of reasons - and that part of the advert, encouraging children, showing them joining in and having fun, is to be applauded.

Knowing the effort that went into getting it right for The Boater's DVD, the approach just surprised me.

Actually, there are lots of kids still wear lifejackets, and not just on the Braunston pair of Scout/Guide boats. Lancelot and Guinevere are out most of the Spring-Autumn..most of those wear lifejackets, some help steer the boats...with close supervision.

Tucana generally has 12 kids and parents walking the towpaths and 12 kids on the boats with parents wearing lifejackets. They cruise one way, and then the kids swap and go the other way. None of the kids ever steers.

Of the hire boats, it will depend on the parents.

A boaters training DVD is an entirely different kettle of fish to the Black Prince Advert. 

How many times have you seen adverts during the World cup where parascending, waterskiiing and scuba diving off Quatar are featured where health and safety and 1 days training are mentioned...none. 

It is a dream, and it is down to you at the hire bases to try and make that dream as safe as possible, along with enjoyable.

You cant teach common sense, all you can do is point out the dangers.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Yes, of course it can

.. equally they could produce a better film ? 
🤷‍♀️

Feel free to post yours.

And we can comment.

You do know what constructive criticism means I take it?

12 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Feel free to post yours.

And we can comment.

I do know constructive criticism. 

And Rosenarrowboats’s criticism of the Black Prince video was entirely negative with nowt positive to say. 

I don’t run a hire boat, so don’t need to self promote with a competing video. 

comment on that

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I do know constructive criticism. 

And Rosenarrowboats’s criticism of the Black Prince video was entirely negative with nowt positive to say. 

I don’t run a hire boat, so don’t need to self promote with a competing video. 

comment on that

Thought not,

Never mind.

26 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Mine has all been factually critical of the criticising post, and extolling the virtues of the Black Prince advert,  whilst not ignoring the health and safety aspects.

I have nothing to do with either Black Prince(other than working on many of their old boats),or Rose Narrowboats, who have done a marvellous job between them of keeping narrowboat holidays going over many years, to a very good standard. 

Cracking advert, once you are there, pay attention to the instructions, and those on the boats, and then use common sense to enjoy a cracking good holiday with your family or friends.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Mine has all been factually critical of the criticising post, and extolling the virtues of the Black Prince advert,  whilst not ignoring the health and safety aspects.

I have nothing to do with either Black Prince(other than working on many of their old boats),or Rose Narrowboats, who have done a marvellous job between them of keeping narrowboat holidays going over many years, to a very good standard. 

Cracking advert, once you are there, pay attention to the instructions, and those on the boats, and then use common sense to enjoy a cracking good holiday with your family or friends.

I dont believe I offered a comment on your post but looking back and reading it, yes.