Shroppie Fly

AndrewIC

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Always nice to see a pub re-open!

Indeed, and I hope they do well, it was a great pub many years ago -- but the "Rave reviews" headline looks a trifle exaggerated, given that their kitchen hasn't reopened yet and the only review quoted in the article says:

"Customer Anne Husar was impressed after visiting last week and posted on the National Association of Boat Owners Facebook page: "Moored in Audlem so popped into newly opened Shroppie Fly.

"Great pub with warm welcome for both dogs & humans. Hope new team succeeds where others failed. If you're in the area why not drop in, show your support."
Edited by IanD

9 minutes ago, Hastings said:

He has, over 30 years

Good -- let's hope (genuinely!) he does better than some of the previous landlords, it would be great if the Shroppie Fly became a pub worth visiting again 🙂

I suspect its future success will depend not so much on his boating experience or even his 30 years in pubs, but ultimately on the deal he agrees with Star Pubs (the owners).

*The rent

*How tightly they bind him to the stock he sells, and where he may procure it.

*How much they charge him wholesale for his stock. Assuming the answer to the above question is as expected.

*How much share of the machine income they siphon off and whether they pay a share of the machine rental/licence & overheads or not. I suspect not.

I could continue as some on here are fully aware. However, I don't want to pour cold water on anyone who believes in dreaming of their own future retiring to run a pub.

🤣

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I suspect its future success will depend not so much on his boating experience or even his 30 years in pubs, but ultimately on the deal he agrees with Star Pubs (the owners).

*The rent

*How tightly they bind him to the stock he sells, and where he may procure it.

*How much they charge him wholesale for his stock. Assuming the answer to the above question is as expected.

*How much share of the machine income they siphon off and whether they pay a share of the machine rental/licence & overheads or not. I suspect not.

I could continue as some on here are fully aware. However, I don't want to pour cold water on anyone who believes in dreaming of their own future retiring to run a pub.

🤣

I heard he'd bought the pub?

In rented licenced trade it is common to buy the business- fixtures, fittings, glassware, goodwill, and  stock at valuation, etc.,  but not the premises.  The landlord then pays rent for the premises, sometimes a brewery, more often a pubco.  The lease these days usually comes with plenty of strings.  This is often described as buying the pub.

It is though possible that Star Inns have sold the premises to the new landlord.

N

57 minutes ago, BEngo said:

In rented licenced trade it is common to buy the business- fixtures, fittings, glassware, goodwill, and  stock at valuation, etc.,  but not the premises.  The landlord then pays rent for the premises, sometimes a brewery, more often a pubco.  The lease these days usually comes with plenty of strings.  This is often described as buying the pub.

It is though possible that Star Inns have sold the premises to the new landlord.

N

I am aware of a case where a pubco sold a pub (which is now very successful) but its rare. My cynical head tells me that pubcos like to keep their buildings, they can't loose. If the pub does well they put the rent up and make more money, if it fails its the tenant who bears most of the loss, and another one will be along soon, and if it keeps failing thats grounds to turn it into a house and make a huge profit.  I read a rheory that pubcos are property companies that dabble in the pub trade.

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

I am aware of a case where a pubco sold a pub (which is now very successful) but its rare. My cynical head tells me that pubcos like to keep their buildings, they can't loose. If the pub does well they put the rent up and make more money, if it fails its the tenant who bears most of the loss, and another one will be along soon, and if it keeps failing thats grounds to turn it into a house and make a huge profit.  I read a rheory that pubcos are property companies that dabble in the pub trade.

That’s how I see it, and how it’s been for years and years. When my dad had the Sugar Loaf in Holborn, early seventies,  it became not only a locals pub but very successful lunchtimes with local business staff popping in for lunch. Over 350 per day. Dad always mentioned the ‘schoolboy’ area manager who would call in, full of praise, and raise the rent or other variables. Bass Charrington. So a brewery rather than a Pub Co as such. They took on another Pub in leafy Dorking and not long after dad died suddenly following a massive coronary. Mum followed 14 months later. Licenceism is not an easy option. They had run pubs for many years.

So, having visited the Shroppie a couple of times and being, like others, disappointed, I wish the new chaps and lasses every success in their venture.

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

This is true of a lot of businesses. My brother-in-law used to run children's "play warehouses". Y'know, those big places on industrial estates full of ball ponds etc for parents to dump their kids in while they go to work or shopping. On a day-to-day basis his best one barely scraped a profit, but the building he paid £500k for to run it in, he sold for £3m after ten years.  

Lots of apparently loss-making businesses have this really long term view. 

On 11/12/2022 at 09:28, BEngo said:

Highly unlikely as Star Inns do not own the land. It is owned by an investment company and recent failures have not been helped because of arguments between Licensees, Star Inns and the investment company over things like land and sewage drainage. I also supect part of the land is also owned by CRT.

5 minutes ago, Hastings said:

CRT own the freehold of the Shroppie Fly and its carpark, or certainly did when I recently talked to them (we're next door)

Sorry to see that you are selling but good luck with your sale and retirement

A recent article in our local "rag" by an ex pub landlord said, suggested anyone thinking of renting a pub from a Pubco should make a pile of £20 notes in their back garden and set light to them.He opined that you would lose less money and it would be less stressful.

5 minutes ago, Hastings said:

Thank you for your good wishes.  We have thoroughly enjoyed our 16 years at Audlem Mill,and we hope that whoever takes over our business continues to serve boaters in much the same way.  

I expect you’ll be gone by the time I’m over that way again.

so I’ll take the opportunity here to say Good luck and best wishes 👍 

I only seem to get as far up the Shropshire as the Anchor now 😃

7 hours ago, Goliath said:

I expect you’ll be gone by the time I’m over that way again.

so I’ll take the opportunity here to say Good luck and best wishes 👍 

I only seem to get as far up the Shropshire as the Anchor now 😃

Thanks, Glenn, for your good wishes, and all the best to you for the future.  I perhaps understand why you don't seem to get further north on the Shroppie than the Anchor, but you really ought to try to get to the Shroppie Fly now, which now has all the makings of being a very good canal pub now!  Peter

On 15/12/2022 at 14:50, Hastings said:

Thank you for your good wishes.  We have thoroughly enjoyed our 16 years at Audlem Mill,and we hope that whoever takes over our business continues to serve boaters in much the same way.  

We popped in to your place a few times during this years gathering of old boats, fabulous place. Wishing you all the best for the future.

We may be at Audlem early Jan too, so will try the Shroppie Fly.

I don't want to deter anybody from coming to Audlem, but please note that there is a lengthy stoppage on the Audlem flight, starting on 3rd January.

Notice Alert

Shropshire Union Canal
Location: Audlem Lock 9, Audlem, Crewe. Audlem Lock 11, Audlem, Crewe.
Starts At: Lock 9 Audlem
Ends At: Audlem Lock 7
Up Stream Winding Hole: Adderley Wharf Winding Hole. U/S of Bridge 69, Adderley Wharf Bridge.
Down Stream Winding Hole: Moss Hall Winding Hole. Below Audlem Bottom Lock 15.

Tuesday 3 January 2023 08:00 until Friday 10 March 2023 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Repair

Update on 14/12/2022:

We are sorry to advise that due to a delay in the lock gate production for this stoppage, a 2-week extension is required.

The delay with the lock gate production is due to essential repairs being carried out at our Bradley workshop during Autumn. This meant that the workshop was closed for several months. Due to unforeseen challenges with weather, this has meant that the workshop was closed for 4 weeks longer than anticipated. Despite our best efforts, this has caused a delay in gate production. 

The stoppage will now end on 10/03/2023. We hope that this change doesn’t cause any inconvenience.