Roundabouts

PCSB

Featured Posts

We visited our daughter today by car and there were a lot of roundabouts on the route. My wife commented she was glad there were no roundabouts on the canals, I did remind her there is one that we know of in brum near Gas Street Basin.

My question is, are there any others?

Just now, M_JG said:

Gas Street basin,

Not my pic.

Gas-Street-Basin Birmingham.jpg

Old Turn Junction, and a couple of hundred yards from Gas Street Basin.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

It's not round though. 

I'd call that one a pentagonabout. 

The Birmingham one used to be larger and irregularly shaped - more of a potatoabout.

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Highway Code applies - keep left at roundabouts, ignore navigation rules.

With CaRT's commitment to cycling, the Caldon, Little Venice, Birmingham and any other roundabout should be upgraded to a Dutch style roundabout to make it safer for cyclists to use.

640px-Protected_roundabout_3D.png.60567ed31f1ef03b41f1f60fe87ea30d.png

By PRZ (Pierre ROUZEAU) - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75491486

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

With CaRT's commitment to cycling, the Caldon, Little Venice, Birmingham and any other roundabout should be upgraded to a Dutch style roundabout to make it safer for cyclists to use.

By PRZ (Pierre ROUZEAU) - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75491486

Which might work. Until you introduce Deliveroo cyclists (other 'food' delivery options are available).

A practical difficulty in constructing Dutch-style roundabouts in the UK  would be the large area of land they would occupy, together with the land required for the dedicated cycleways either side of the approach roads. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

1 hour ago, Graham and Jo said:

Is the requirement that something is in the middle or do you just have to go round? I have driven round in a circle in Tixel Wide a number of times. Cheers Graham 

Ditto below County Lock, Reading - not to be recommended. I did better next time!

Ditto in the Knowle intermediate pounds.

Edited by Mike Todd

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Ditto below County Lock, Reading - not to be recommended. I did better next time!

Ditto in the Knowle intermediate pounds.

I have been heavily aground in the Knowle pounds having been blown sideways but avoided turning round - just. Cheers Graham 

20 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Only in a very short boat. Though if a circle has only one side, or more than one side is an interesting topological question.

A straight line is a circle of infinite radius so we have all been straight on round a circle. Cheers Graham 

13 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I quite like american freedom roundabout

• Haha 1