Waterways Journal

Chris Griffiths

Featured Posts

One depository to avoid if possible are charitable organisations.

My wife has worked in two, one full time, The amount of items that clearly have some histroical importance if not sold in their shops - goes into a skip.

Watches, clocks, pictures, many she has rescued from their skips to be given a place to hang, a shelf to sit on, or worn.

18 minutes ago, Chris Griffiths said:

As a follow up to my posting, many thanks to Ray T for sending me some material. I'm not able to reply directly as I don't have an email address and the PM system doesn't allow me to respond.

I think you need 5 posts before you can pm so one more should do it.

I have the full set of Waterway Journals. I have not checked,but from memory,all the articles credit the authors .Those articles by people who are no longer with us,such as Alf. Hayman, Manager of the Bridgewater Department ,are now  a widely distributed source, through the Waterways Journals. Alf had a lifetime of knowledge of the Bridgewater Dept,as well as access to the company archives. I am sure back issues are available from the usual waterways book sources.

Evenin' all

The comments on possibly lost collections were so interesting that I have started another thread on this subject. I hope noone minds.

Ian Mac's comments about keeping your own collections safe are spot on. Such a shame when a life's work gets kicked out or, with digital material, simply deleted. It's a thought to leave some instructions (and maybe a modest legacy) with executors, as to what you hold that might be of interest to an archive. The easier it is to understand that collection, and the better shape it is in, I submit, the more likely it is to be accepted in an archive. 

I've been a little surprised at some reactions to Chris' request for contributions to the Waterways Journal. It was founded by volunteers (notably, the late Tony Burnip) at Ellesmere Port, to produce longer articles about waterways history, especially using archive material. I have been surprised to find that it is not better known. It is all about enthusiasm, supported, but not run, by C&RT.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Joseph B     

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, nebulae said:

I have the full set of Waterway Journals. I have not checked,but from memory,all the articles credit the authors .Those articles by people who are no longer with us,such as Alf. Hayman, Manager of the Bridgewater Department ,are now  a widely distributed source, through the Waterways Journals. Alf had a lifetime of knowledge of the Bridgewater Dept,as well as access to the company archives. I am sure back issues are available from the usual waterways book sources.

Many can be obtained directly from Ellesmere Port, a couple of early ones are not in print, ordered one myself earlier in the year. They will IIRC accept card payments now as well when not busy. The past edition titles in each volume are referenced on this page, though you need to buy the back copy to read them.  

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-history/the-waterways-archive/waterways-journal

• 5 months later...

I have had an email from Chris Griffith stating that CRT are revising the need to publish the Journal and the March Journal has been postponed indefinitely. it is extremely worrying that CRT wish to review the need for such an important journal. Chris has resigned as editor.

I do wonder what is on the CRT agenda these days, clearly the study of heritage is one of them. The next question must be what will be fate of Ellesmere Port Museum?

10 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I do wonder what is on the CRT agenda these days, clearly the study of heritage is one of them. The next question must be what will be fate of Ellesmere Port Museum?

A property developer could make some nice expensive waterside flats, then the residents will moan about all the boats. 😉

How many çopies of the journal were produced? How much did it cost to print, and what were the sales receipts?

My guess is that the Journal was a net cost to CRT, and in these cash-straitened times, CRT can't justify funding a publication which is peripheral to their main activity.

Sad, but a reflection of where we are.

The CRT Website still states

Waterways Journal

Waterways Journal is published annually and has been put together by volunteers at the museum for many years.

Clearly 2023 is not on the annual publication agenda

But David Mack makes a point about the CRT being cash strapped.

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

How many çopies of the journal were produced? How much did it cost to print, and what were the sales receipts?

My guess is that the Journal was a net cost to CRT, and in these cash-straitened times, CRT can't justify funding a publication which is peripheral to their main activity.

I suspect that’s exactly what’s happened. However in fairness it doesn’t seem to have been publicised very much in recent times so perhaps it’s been “managed out” of existence.

Very sad to hear and I hope Chris is doing OK in the circumstances 

It would not be a good idea to go into precise details at the moment, but WJ was produced at minimal cost to CRT. It should easily be able to produce a (small) profit.

The issues are more about where the responsibilities for promotion and distribution lie. There isn't a lot of point in expending a significant amount of effort in producing copies to sit in boxes in a store.

The other difficulty is the lack of a reliable channel to solicit contributions following the demise of the Waterways Museum Society.

I should add that publication is suspended  not abandoned.

• Greenie 2

On 20/06/2023 at 12:02, David Mack said:

The were on sale very cheaply at Anderton Lift visitor centre