Waterways Journal

Chris Griffiths

Featured Posts

Forgive me intruding on a rare visit here, but I'm looking for some help.

I'm currently inviting articles for the forthcoming edition of Waterways Journal, which is due for publication next year. Since the demise of the Waterways Museum Society, the journal has been published by Canal & River Trust's National Waterways Archive at Ellesmere Port. The closure of WMS also means that I no longer have the option of appealing for contributions via the RE:PORT newsletter.

There seems to have been something of a pause in research activities, largely due to the Covid lockdowns. Archives around the country have been closed or have offered only restricted access, which means that there is a shortage of research articles ready to publish. A number of authors are promising contributions for 2024, but have nothing completed available for use now. Whilst I have several possible articles for publication, ideally I need 1-2 more.

Are you able to assist? Perhaps you have a research article which could be used, or know of someone else who may be seeking publication. I would be very happy for you to pass my request and contact details along, either directly or via other publications and/or distribution lists. 

Waterways Journal normally publishes at Easter, although it is possible that Volume 25 could be delayed a little. Deadline for the submission of articles is generally the end of the preceding December, i.e. the end of this month, but I have a certain amount of flexibility in this.

If you are able to help in any way, please get in touch with me at chris@ivydene.com. I can send a set of "Notes for contributors" to anyone interested.

That's the sort of response which does sadden me. I was only talking on the train to another researcher into industrial/canal history about the lack of people undertaking any research. It does seem symptomatic of modern society that people are only too happy to rely on others, without making any effort themselves.

2 hours ago, Pluto said:

That's the sort of response which does sadden me. I was only talking on the train to another researcher into industrial/canal history about the lack of people undertaking any research. It does seem symptomatic of modern society that people are only too happy to rely on others, without making any effort themselves.

I  use what ever sources that I can find, including buying old documents.

4 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I  use what ever sources that I can find, including buying old documents.

And you make it available generally, which is what research should be about. I am sure you would agree that there is something satisfying in doing that.

2 hours ago, Pluto said:

And the fact that it's just negative towards a poster and contributes nothing, like so many posts on CWDF nowadays... 😞

Including this one, which is being negative about somebody else being negative -- oh dear, I think we've entered a spiral of negativity here. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a reply complaining about me being negative about a negative post. Then I can reply complaining about their negative post about my negative post about the negative reply to the original post...

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 2

I suspect the so called negative reply may well have been because of the apparent publisher rather than the OP. It smacks of "we want boaters when we want them, but not so much at other times.

It also seems the OP expects contributors to rework their contribution to a style acceptable to the publication rather than editing it to style after receiving it.

And I thought I was making an innocuous appeal to anyone with an interest in writing about waterways history. It hadn't crossed my mind that it would be seen as an imposition on the boating community.

Just to clarify and set the record straight. Waterways Journal was launched in 1999 by the Boat Museum Society, the voluntary society that was instrumental in the foundation of the Museum at Ellesmere Port. The first 22 annual volumes were published by the Society, which changed its name along the way to the Waterways Museum Society, to reflect the changes in the Museum itself as it became part of The Waterways Trust and ultimately Canal & River Trust.

In 2020 the Waterways Museum Society decided to close, due to falling numbers of supporters willing to run the organisation. Many Society members who volunteered at the Museum continued to do so, but under the umbrella of the Trust's volunteer system. It was also decided to continue publishing Waterways Journal under similar arrangements, so Canal & River Trust is now the official publisher, via the National Waterways Archive, but it remains entirely volunteer produced. The Trust puts up the money for printing and sells the publication via the Museum shop, but it isn't exactly a major profit centre. 

Although I've worked on the publication for a few years in a "backroom" role (as has another contributor to this forum) I took over as editor this year, right in the aftermath of Covid. I'm doing it because of an interest in waterways history. Although I have done a lot of boating in the past, I've never considered myself to be a "boater". My interest is in the waterways as a whole.

One of my goals when I took over as editor was to widen the pool of contributors and to make sure that the journal covers a wide spread of topics - boats, the built heritage, waterways operation, etc. - and also to have a good geographic spread. Hence my appeal for additional contributors.

I don't really understand the comments about expecting contributors to rework their contributions. Articles in Waterways Journal have a wide variety of writing styles, form the very informal to the almost academic. They are all of course edited to give a certain degree of consistency to the publication, but writers are generally left to express themselves in the manner they choose. Like just about any publication, we have a "Notes for contributors" intended to act as a guide to potential authors. It includes information about the typical article lengths that we can use and has tips on how to format text and pictures with a view to simplifying the editing process, but is in no way prescriptive about style.

I'm not quite sure how I ended up writing this screed, but there you are. On a positive note, my appeal here and through other channels has made me contacts with a few new potential contributors, so thanks.

• Greenie 4

1 minute ago, Chris Griffiths said:

And I thought I was making an innocuous appeal to anyone with an interest in writing about waterways history. It hadn't crossed my mind that it would be seen as an imposition on the boating community.

Just to clarify and set the record straight. Waterways Journal was launched in 1999 by the Boat Museum Society, the voluntary society that was instrumental in the foundation of the Museum at Ellesmere Port. The first 22 annual volumes were published by the Society, which changed its name along the way to the Waterways Museum Society, to reflect the changes in the Museum itself as it became part of The Waterways Trust and ultimately Canal & River Trust.

In 2020 the Waterways Museum Society decided to close, due to falling numbers of supporters willing to run the organisation. Many Society members who volunteered at the Museum continued to do so, but under the umbrella of the Trust's volunteer system. It was also decided to continue publishing Waterways Journal under similar arrangements, so Canal & River Trust is now the official publisher, via the National Waterways Archive, but it remains entirely volunteer produced. The Trust puts up the money for printing and sells the publication via the Museum shop, but it isn't exactly a major profit centre. 

Although I've worked on the publication for a few years in a "backroom" role (as has another contributor to this forum) I took over as editor this year, right in the aftermath of Covid. I'm doing it because of an interest in waterways history. Although I have done a lot of boating in the past, I've never considered myself to be a "boater". My interest is in the waterways as a whole.

One of my goals when I took over as editor was to widen the pool of contributors and to make sure that the journal covers a wide spread of topics - boats, the built heritage, waterways operation, etc. - and also to have a good geographic spread. Hence my appeal for additional contributors.

I don't really understand the comments about expecting contributors to rework their contributions. Articles in Waterways Journal have a wide variety of writing styles, form the very informal to the almost academic. They are all of course edited to give a certain degree of consistency to the publication, but writers are generally left to express themselves in the manner they choose. Like just about any publication, we have a "Notes for contributors" intended to act as a guide to potential authors. It includes information about the typical article lengths that we can use and has tips on how to format text and pictures with a view to simplifying the editing process, but is in no way prescriptive about style.

I'm not quite sure how I ended up writing this screed, but there you are. On a positive note, my appeal here and through other channels has made me contacts with a few new potential contributors, so thanks.

Don't worry Chris, I don't think most people see what you were asking as an imposition on the boating community, except perhaps a few old grumpies... 😉

Edited by IanD

39 minutes ago, Chris Griffiths said:

In all my years of writing for another magazine through several editors I was never given any instructions as to length, formatting & images and I was getting paid for it. I have no reason to believe other contributors, including the on offs "me and my boat" article were treated any differently. The editors sorted all that out. Exactly the same applies to a number of "club" magazines I have contributed to over the years for no cost.  Hence when you specifically mentioned "notes for contributors" it seemed that you really wanted ready formatted text to your house style so you could just insert it into your final document with minimal work. There is also the fact that it seems felt you could assume that any contributions would be at no cost to the magazine. Taking the style and payment as separate things then asking either may not be too much of an imposition individually, but put them together and I think it looks like taking liberties.

I don't know the magazine but if I did and had an article that might interest you I would be happy to send it in but not if I was expected to reformat it to your house style without payment for the extra time.

It is not a question of being grumpy, it is a question of the modern trend for people to expect others to  provide stuff for them with no consideration for the work and effort required. A bit more explanation about the magazine and how/why it is produced right at the start would have shown it is not yet another CaRT senior management  inspired imposition on boaters in their quest for even more money, so I would probably not have reacted as I did.

Anyway, I am pleased that you have the required contributions now.

Edited by Tony Brooks

23 hours ago, Pluto said:

@Pluto I have spent many hours researching the boating life of Mike Humphris who came from six generations of Oxfordshire boat people. He passed away in July of this year.

My wife and I made a very comprehensive "This is your life" type book containing his family tree back to the mid 1660's. The boating connection began in 1794 with Thomas Humphries 1794-1870. Many photo's in this collection were given to me by family members and they have requested I do not go public with them. I will respect their wishes.

Two copies of this journal were made, the family have one I have the other. I have made arrangements for it to be passed to a reputable archive in due course.

In August this year I happened to have a chance meeting at Ellesmere Port with a Marine history researcher from New South Wales. He was busy collecting data for an article on English Canals. I have been able to help him.
In October of this year, I met a lady historian at Hatton Locks who is writing a book on "Canals and Crime," due to be published early next year. Again, I was able to help with her quest.

Some people do not always publish what they are involved with, I have now!!!!

(The spelling of names is as on official certificates. Although the spelling of names differs it is the same family)

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Ray T said:

snip:

In August this year I happened to have a chance meeting at Ellesmere Port with a Marine history researcher from New South Wales. He was busy collecting data for an article on English Canals. I have been able to help him.
In October of this year, I met a lady historian at Hatton Locks who is writing a book on "Canals and Crime," due to be published early next year. Again, I was able to help with her quest.

Some people do not always publish what they are involved with, I have now!!!!

(The spelling of names is as on official certificates. Although the spelling of names differs it is the same family)

As you suggest, you don't have to publish things yourself, just making your research available to others can be a big help to others. Little point in doing research if it dies when you do!

Hear hear Mike (Pluto)!! 

One could start a separate thread about people who were, it seems, great experts on waterways history, kept it all to themselves, then went to their eternal rest with their work unpublished and documentation booted into the recycling bin. 

You are absolutely right - with historical research, the focus should be getting it into the public domain, so that others can (hopefully with credit due to the original researcher) follow on. 

End of secular sermon...😀

All the best, everyone

Joseph B

1 hour ago, Joseph said:

Hear hear Mike (Pluto)!! 

One could start a separate thread about people who were, it seems, great experts on waterways history, kept it all to themselves, then went to their eternal rest with their work unpublished and documentation booted into the recycling bin. 

You are absolutely right - with historical research, the focus should be getting it into the public domain, so that others can (hopefully with credit due to the original researcher) follow on. 

All the best, everyone

Joseph B

I do hope that my research in mapping the waterways stays online for all to use for free as it is now, I've consulted many experts on some very obscure canals and navigations, the greatest loss in experts to me and I imagine a lot of others was Brian Goggin, no one knew more about the Irish waterways than him &t hankfully his family are keepong his website online and have published his last book.

16 hours ago, Joseph said:

Hear hear Mike (Pluto)!! 

All the best, everyone

Joseph B

And therein lies a problem. I used to undertake quite a lot of of genealogy research, particularly for people living overseas with English ancestors. , and who could not easily get to the UK for long periods to visit Records offices etc. I made no charge for the work I undertook and was, consequently, dissapointed when two separate people (both in America! ) chose to publish that information on web sites, claiming the research to be their own. Lesson learnt, I now only send information to people who I can trust to credit the source.

Edited by David Schweizer

35 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

And therein lies a problem. I used to undertake quite a lot of of genealogy research, particularly for people living overseas with English ancestors. , and who could not easily get to the UK for long periods to visit Records offices etc. I made no charge for the work I undertook and was, consequently, dissapointed when two separate people (both in America! ) chose to publish that information on web sites, claiming the research to be their own. Lesson learnt, I now only send information to people who I can trust to credit the source.

All true, plagiarisation has always been a problem but is probably worse nowadays.

However I don't think there's any suspicion that the OP is looking for articles to steal from people, it seems that he's looking to publish and credit them, and deserves approval for that not negative comments... 😉

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

All true, plagiarisation has always been a problem but is probably worse nowadays.

However I don't think there's any suspicion that the OP is looking for articles to steal from people, it seems that he's looking to publish and credit them, and deserves approval for that not negative comments... 😉

I agree, if he made any mistake it was that he seemed to assume everyone knew the publications and about him. It was probably not such a good idea to link his request to CaRT as the publisher.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I used to undertake quite a lot of of genealogy research, particularly for people living overseas with English ancestors. , and who could not easily get to the UK for long periods to visit Records offices etc. I made no charge for the work I undertook and was, consequently, dissapointed when two separate people (both in America! ) chose to publish that information on web sites, claiming the research to be their own.

And closer to home, a well known historic boat researcher, and former forum contributor, will not publish his research after various people republished his information without giving him credit. A shame as he has a vast amount of information, that will probably end up being lost.

Does anyone know what happened to Laurence Hogg's and Harry Arnold's waterway photo libraries after they died?

Edited by David Mack

The Hogg photo collection I believe was rescued from a skip, sat in someone's hall for two years and is now with Andy Tidy? The problem is there is not catalogue, just the images, not sure just how much has survived.
Remember you can not fall out with people once your dead!
Harry's images are all catalogued and Julie his daughter has that and the images, she is still using them.
I now have the John Greenway collection of slides approx 11K images, of which approx a quarter are canal images, maybe, currently have scanned over 2k5 canal images. again I have no catalogue. Location and date would be a good start, some slides have dates on them which is a start and some a couple of scribbled words, which may help.
Can I suggest that we all catalogue our images and documents and share them with two friends, and tell our loved ones what we wish to happen to the stuff. It is such a waste to see/ hear of all this info just being skipped, and it is no good to anyone without your index, which you may have taken to the grave with you.

If you want to manage your pictures can I recommend DigiKam, it free software, and very very good in my book. Runs on most computer OSs.