Scholar Gypsy/Simon Judge of this parish on YouTube..

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught this. Definitely enjoyed the first part, the fickle weather rather adding to it.

On 07/12/2022 at 21:29, Scholar Gypsy said:

Sadly the footage of Tim eating his bacon buttie (including black pudding, by his special request) seems to have ended up on the cutting room floor...

Perhaps he's wary after a certain Labour party leader was shown in an unflattering clip doing the same?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Puffling said:

Just caught this. Definitely enjoyed the first part, the fickle weather rather adding to it.

Perhaps he's wary after a certain Labour party leader was shown in an unflattering clip doing the same?

Thanks! Part 2 should be out fairly soon. Tim has a speaking part in that, as well as some physical action ...

Thanks to all concerned in making these two videos of a part of the network that I have never visited by boat, although I have crossed a number of the bridges on foot.

As usual, Cruising the Cut has maintained his high standard, and particular thanks to Simon Judge and the other members of the crew for their contributions to an excelled and informative video.

Howard

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, howardang said:

Thanks to all concerned in making these two videos of a part of the network that I have never visited by boat, although I have crossed a number of the bridges on foot.

As usual, Cruising the Cut has maintained his high standard, and particular thanks to Simon Judge and the other members of the crew for their contributions to an excelled and informative video.

Howard

I do take guests on these trips, as you can see. If anyone is interested please send me a DM. Will probably be autumn 2023, as there are works on Trinity Bridge at the moment. (We didn't hit it).

On 18/12/2022 at 11:59, Scholar Gypsy said:

I do take guests on these trips, as you can see. If anyone is interested please send me a DM. Will probably be autumn 2023, as there are works on Trinity Bridge at the moment. (We didn't hit it).

Indeed, the Porter (if that’s their name now 😊) advised us the underside of the bridge is being repaired though didn’t know how long it would take . 

How deep is the water you travelled up beyond where the puntmaster advised you not to go, though we know you’ve done it before? I suspect you are not too deep a draft? 

I could have sworn we moored above Jesus lock in a Summer journey many  years ago. Is that not allowed now till Autumn now? 

That explains the autoglym polish the other week done so well😂Thanks for an interesting journey.

Trinity bridge Dec 10th 

828FEED5-9B75-4B0D-8750-1A4A15867319.jpeg.996db6be882eeb33a92e1539c075011b.jpeg

3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Indeed, the Porter (if that’s their name now 😊) advised us the underside of the bridge is being repaired though didn’t know how long it would take . 

How deep is the water you travelled up beyond where the puntmaster advised you not to go, though we know you’ve done it before? I suspect you are not too deep a draft? 

I could have sworn we moored above Jesus lock in a Summer journey many  years ago. Is that not allowed now till Autumn now? 

That explains the autoglym polish the other week done so well😂Thanks for an interesting journey.

Trinity bridge Dec 10th 

Porter is the correct term.  The works are until June 2023, although the river (ie the centre arch) is only closed to powered boats for the month of February. More detail just published here:  https://www.camconservancy.org/public-announcement

In most parts of the river the depth is normally 3 feet, I would say.  I reckon we are about 24 inches at the stern.  The shoal that was causing the problem is marked on this chart (from the excellent guide by @FadeToScarlet) just to the right of bridge 10. It gives access to a wide and deep pool (with piling on the south shore) just before the weir and punt rollers, which is a very easy place to turn.  I think I could probably have battled my way over the shoal, but it didn't seem a very good idea. So we backed down to the marked turning point (at which point one of the competing punt firms said "Oi mate, you can't park there").  It was fine the following day when the water was back to normal (ie 9" higher).

There are half a dozen residential moorings on the right bank above the lock, they use the lock all year round to access the water point and the pumpout (when it is working...).  Maybe they used to be visitor moorings too?

Untitled.png.d918c3d2a0397900dfaf81dd44d45bc7.png 

Fascinating second episode, letting me see Cambridge from a perspective mostly not available from that other traditional form of transport which I used when visiting the city with Cygnet - the hire bike.  Although I did recognise one or two places, including Kings College Chapel, where I attended the almost requisite sung evensong.  The highlight for me was the Scott Polar Research Institute.   Amazingly, there were very few other boats moored in the city centre below Jesus Lock in full summer.

Cambridge.jpg

• Love 1